61 biscayne build

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Several things going now...new pistons coming from Showcars for my "stock" 348 . Picked up the 65 truck 409 in Texas today...off to to Tony Shaffer with the 409 block to replace the 348 stroker block ( more cubes, heh, heh) and now i have enough pieces left over for a 383 stroker...by the way the truck 409 crank looks like brand new.....soooo, my old 348 block with (427 crank and rods moved to the 409 block) 409 crank and doctored 333 heads should make another great engine. I'm tired just thinking about it and really tired from my combined 19 hrs. of driving yesterday and today. Have a good evening folks, Dean

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Dean,Which piston did you get for the "stock"348?I can recommend a piston/rod combo that you'll love for the 380 combo.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Actually bought 'Icon" pistons and they look good. Heads are off to have the valves checked and the shortblock is off for piston replacement, and then hopefully back together again without further problems...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Good,that Icon piston is a reasonably priced needed option for the stock stroke 348.How much do they weigh?

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I ask my assembler to weight them....i was told they are lighter than Ross pistons and come gas ported...and cheaper priced!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If they're anything like my 348 stroker pistons,they are a very nice,more affordable alternative to the cast replacement pistons that stick you with the "tractor style" piston rings.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes the 10.5 and 11-1[if you can find them] will have a small intake valve relief just as the production one had.They're much heavier,a lot weaker,and create a lot more internal piston to wall friction due to the ring pack than those K-B's will have.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Don, i will have enough parts for a "383" stroker using my 348 block and the 409 crank and rods and 333 heads. What is your recommendation for pistons...any off the shelf stuff, or will i have to have them custom made. Prefer to stay in the 10:1 range for streetability. Thanks

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What I did was use a 6.385 rod and the KB Icon piston for the 4 inch stroke.These are modern forgings ,that use modern rings that from Show cars is about 600 a set.With your 333 heads,and these pistons,you'll wind up with right at 10 if you get your quench right at .040.These pistons weigh 642 grams plus 149 for the pin.The longer,stronger rod both broadens and increases the torque band.I think Show Cars lists a Ross for the 409 rod but they're over 100 dollars more,and use the wide"tracter"ring pack,which increases power loss due to increased friction.You can get a Ross with the modern ring lands,but it's considered custom[more money].Add in the benefits of a better rod ratio,and the 300 dollars or so that the rods will cost is not a bad deal,especially when you consider that with new good bolts and the necessary resizing that you're going to have to spend another 150-200 dollars to make sure that the stock 409 rod is suitable.

Last edited:

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Interesting combination of parts Don, will definitely keep this blog so when i get done playing with the 2 engines i have going, will start this 383 build.....wish i had something to put it in.....DUH! look at the avatar of my biscayne, 1st things 1st, right. And we are not getting any younger...one of my friends the other day told me not to buy any green bananas,LOL

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Dean notes: "Tony said the 65 truck block i bought in Texas is one of the nicest used blocks he has ever seen..."

That's probably due to all the crappy blocks I've been bringing to Day Automotive over the years :).

He's got one of mine right now needing two sleeves (but otherwise it's a standard bore QA block from 1963).

Good luck with your multiple builds!

TomK

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Dean notes: "Tony said the 65 truck block i bought in Texas is one of the nicest used blocks he has ever seen..."

That's probably due to all the crappy blocks I've been bringing to Day Automotive over the years :).

He's got one of mine right now needing two sleeves (but otherwise it's a standard bore QA block from 1963).

Good luck with your multiple builds!

TomK
Tom that's because the best truck block you have....I squeaked a 12.21 out of it.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
well, after another month for a rebuild including new pistons and just a few $$$$$, my engine is about ready to go back in my impala....i miss driving it, and am anticipating how good???? it will run. Going back to .030 over 348 doesn't have me particularly thrilled, but am curious how a 10 1/2 to 1 engine will run....so decided to put the offy 2X4 manifold back on. So should find out soon. Take care all.

Attachments

• 20170410_185649.jpg
    20170410_185649.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 13