62 409 4 Speed

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brake repair declaration. You have got to be kidding. Because so many traffic accidents are caused by old car hobbyists who have brake failures:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes. When you don't have a brain or statistics to legislate, so you use your communist feel goods instead:punch2
This is for when we upgrade from old drum brakes to the likes of disc brakes

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It’s likely due to the idiots who UPGRADE their daily drivers and have no clue about the junk they buy and the work they do. Some of those lowering jobs and lift jobs they do are complete crap.
With our antiques, 25 years or older, one mechanical inspection and then never again. We also pay about $20 a year for plate renewals.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Nope not yearly Dave, TWICE YEARLY inspections

This is for when we upgrade from old drum brakes to the likes of disc brakes

Oh my good God. I couldn't do it. As if the shipping costs weren't enough, the wait times for parts weren't enough, some government appointed jagoff who knows far less about your 62 Chevy than you do, is gonna sit there and decide if the disc brake kit you waited 6 months for is installed properly.

I'm dumbfounded at the government overreach down there. 'But it's in the interest of public safety!!!' Yeah, show me the statistics of defective vehicles vs. cellphone distraction for wrecks. I'm sure there's a handy little fee for these bi-annual inspections too. God love ya Gav for putting up with all that bulloney just to tinker with your old 62 Cheb and maybe get an ounce of satisfaction once in a while.

Thanks for all the girlie pics too btw:salute

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Oh my good God. I couldn't do it. As if the shipping costs weren't enough, the wait times for parts weren't enough, some government appointed jagoff who knows far less about your 62 Chevy than you do, is gonna sit there and decide if the disc brake kit you waited 6 months for is installed properly.

I'm dumbfounded at the government overreach down there. 'But it's in the interest of public safety!!!' Yeah, show me the statistics of defective vehicles vs. cellphone distraction for wrecks. I'm sure there's a handy little fee for these bi-annual inspections too. God love ya Gav for putting up with all that bulloney just to tinker with your old 62 Cheb and maybe get an ounce of satisfaction once in a while.

Thanks for all the girlie pics too btw:salute
Yes it's like we are going to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on our cars only to cheapen them by putting dodgy braking system in.
We have no choice but to put up and adhere to all the bull if want want to continue in the hobby we love so much.

It is completely a whole different ball game if you want to build a scratch built rod, say something like a 32 F_ _d Fibreglass Coupe. There is a whole certification process you have to follow to the law. :drop This will cost a few extra grand on top of the cost of the vehicle as well.

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well finally the body work on the 62 is coming along, front guards completed, door skins next plus a couple of other little tweak's and then panel work is complete. YAY :D:D:D
New Repo hood will be ordered in the coming weeks. Next step will be paint and going with original of Tuxedo Black, or at least today's equivalent.
Interior kit, original black is almost ready along with a whole bunch of associated parts for the car, with a HUGE thanks to Paul (PVS409) :clap:clap:bow:bow

My current headache is trying to work out as to what tires to order. Pat Lobb was kind enough to send some pic's of his pie crust ones on his 61's which looked cool and would seriously consider, but limited in sizes and we can't run ANY sort of slick on the road here (car would be impounded or flagged to get off the road).
I'm running 15 x 6 front & 15 x 8 rear steel rims which will also be painted black.
Have looked at options of white walls, redline and plain. This is a triple black car, suggestions welcome in case I have missed something. Have checked coker, DB tires, Towel City

IMG_2423.jpgIMG_2422.jpgIMG_2421.jpg

Gav

Last edited:

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I was very pleased with a set of DBs that I put on my model A, and they have many options. Asking this group about tire preference will probably start quite a thread all on its own. Wheels, tires, oil....????

They do generally agree on politics, go figure.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Body looks very good Gav, congratulations that is a huge milestone to be finished with the metalwork!!!
Yes the body work has been a bit of a task, but regretfully I can't take any of the credit for this as my body work skills a very limited. But top guys who are working on this and this also includes Steve (LMBRJQ 60) who has helped a lot.

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Towel City sell a DOT pie crust, street legal here with a tread. Maybe they can provide paperwork that would satisfy your authorities?View attachment 99496

That is going to be a beautiful black car, dog dish looks good.

Hey Don,
Did I see somewhere where you may have run Towel City DOTS as per pic! If so how did you find them!
I have sent Towel city an email but haven't heard from them yet
piecrust-5.jpg

Gav

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I got them directly from Towel City. They would only ship by UPS to me in Canada at the time. I got a 28 inch by 8 inch by 15. I bought them for the look, not racing, no issues with them. One thing, they make a lot of smoke and no noise when burning rubber so you do that quietly.

Maybe they won’t ship outside North America? Or they are just busy and have no inventory like everyone else?