62 409 4 Speed

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I got them directly from Towel City. They would only ship by UPS to me in Canada at the time. I got a 28 inch by 8 inch by 15. I bought them for the look, not racing, no issues with them. One thing, they make a lot of smoke and no noise when burning rubber so you do that quietly.

Maybe they won’t ship outside North America? Or they are just busy and have no inventory like everyone else?
Thanks for that.
I may have to give them a call. They would be shipped within the us to the freight company.

cheers

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I see the problem. You insulted it by calling it a boot lid. Everyone knows it is a deck lid or a trunk lid.
Just a minor technicality / indiscretion :browand one should have known better that it is a "trunk / deck" lid :doh.
I better not make mention then that I was asking someone in the States if they had a Bonnet for 62 and that there was a long period of silence on the phone until I realized that it was a hood:crazy

Ahhhh, the joys of.

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
things are progressing and starting to come together.
Now only have 2 new door skins to be made and panel work is complete. this will now be in the new year.
Firewall, door jams and around the trunk (boot area :D) will be painted before xmas and then i will be able to put motor and box in after xmas.

IMG_2497.jpgIMG_2500.jpgIMG_2499.jpg

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Aiming for the firewall, dash, door jams & boot (trunk) area to be painted before Xmas and then will come home and will put motor & box in.

A couple of questions.

1) Is the firewall generally painted the same colour as the body for this year and would it be a matt finish? Colour is Tuxedo Black

2) What shade shade should the dash be painted and is it the same colour as the body? I believe sheen is probably a Matt / semi gloss

3) is the steering column the same colour as the dash?

4) anyone have a modern day paint code for Tuxedo Black?

Thanks all
Gav

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Firewall is the same shade and color as the body color ( no flat paint on firewall)
The firewall on all 62’s was painted with flat paint( no gloss or semi gloss)
The steering column shade of paint is the same flat color as the dash( the steering wheel is gloss black)
i have the old GM interior paint codes for the dash ( not sure they can be converted to a modern day paint code

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Firewall is the same shade and color as the body color ( no flat paint on firewall)
The firewall on all 62’s was painted with flat paint( no gloss or semi gloss)
The steering column shade of paint is the same flat color as the dash( the steering wheel is gloss black)
i have the old GM interior paint codes for the dash ( not sure they can be converted to a modern day paint code
Error my 2nd sentence - firewall does not have flat paint - all 1961 &1962 firewalls were body color with body color paint
1963 Chevys switched to black firewalls in early 1963

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Wow, that thing is looking awesome!!! Building one of these cars is a huge amount of work but very gratifying especially when it starts taking shape!!! :good I love the body lines of a 62 I think it is one of the best looking cars ever!!!!!!

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looking good Gav!:good I don’t see how you guys deal with finding parts where you live?
With the help of a talented bunch of forum guru's who are willing to pass on their expertise and relinquish some of their long held cherished, hard to find parts. Then things are a little easier. :bow:bow:appl:appl
Then it's the reliance on some talented metal work guys and good friends to call upon when a hand is needed, this all helps.

Gav