barber john 409 ss impala

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
David:

You note that "My dad was one of the developers of the w at the Tech center in Det. He brought home many a cars to test them on the street back then with the w. They even put one in a 63 Corvette also."

Now that is interesting to hear about :). Did your father ever bring one of those home, or had you seen one? Even sweeter would be some pictures if you have any. We always wondered about a 409 in the new Sting Ray!

Best,
TomK

Back then, everything was hush-hush on the experimental side. No pictures were to be taken and the hoods would be secured. they ran things weired back then. Wish i could have taken pictures for all the cars he brought home to put them through the works.

The Runaway

Well Known Member
The Raggamuffin car was owned and built by a guy named Wes. Last name Weslowsky. Sounds kinda Irish. but he;s still around. He sold the car years ago and it ended up in Chicago. A guy named Philly Nichols owned it for as while. Not sure about other owners.
Pretty shure it wasn't the original Raggamuffin at Joliet. Wes did restore a beautiful 63 that he showed. That might have been it.Bruce Litton has that car now.
The story Philly told me was it was crashed, maybe in a street race and ended up in a boneyard with the aluminum front end still on it. He said he went back years later and it was gone. Haven't seen Philly since the early 80's.
Wes retired and is building an 09 race car, close to being done. Has had a hand is many 09 restorations and his work is excellent. Next time I talked to him I can get more info.
The Raggamuffin motor was built by Rich Clement. He had a speed shop on 66th st. in Chicago. I remembered this info and one day it finally clicked. Rich Clement is the guy thatt I used to cast my aluminum heads and blocks. He raced everything on wheels except drag cars. His motors ran! Still runs his foundry. Great guy. Bob
Philly Nicholas is my best friend and like my brother. I was there when he bought the Rag a Muffin new. Philly sold the Rag a Muffin with the aluminum front end still on it and to this day regrets ever selling the car. He sold the car and trailer together. Phil still has the dark blue "61 Impala along with a light green '65 Impala. He's a great guy and will always be my best friend. The blue '61 Impala that was mentioned, Phil totally restored by himself. He refused any help as he wanted to do it alone. It is an absolutely fantastic restoration and better than many a "professional" high dollar restoration that I have seen. The '61 runs a 348/340 hp 4 spd with a 3:70 posi. The '65 is a big block with a 4 spd.

The Runaway

Well Known Member
It's Eddy Koop and yes I bought it new and I still have it. I retired from the Chicago PD after 41 years. Phil bought the Rag a Muffin new,(I was there)built it and raced it till he sold it along with the trailer. I was there when his kids were born and was at their weddings. In fact I just got off the phone with him. He never heard of "Wes" and said he sold the Rag to a relative of a guy that has since passed.You want to know about Phil and the Rag a Muffin I have the true story. I'll share these postings with him when I see him this week.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Eddie. What I learned was that there were 2 Ragamuffin cars. Wes had his in 64 and 65 Never had an aluminum front end. Ericksons built his motor. When I met you and Phiily he said that Clements on 66th street built his. I know Rich. He cast all of my 409 aluminum heads and also the first 2 alloy blocks. How have you been? Haven't seen you guys in years.

We have a great cruise night on Thursdays in Crown Point. You should come and bring Philly

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,
Several years ago, someone at Kniola's Speed Shop told me there was some high dollar street drag racing over your way. There was a car gathering at a subshop. We passed a drive-in restaurant just
a few blocks before turning west to the subshop. A couple friends of mine drove their cars along with me. No racing. Not even anything resembling any kind of a race car. Bummer. Never went back.
That drive-in was named the "blue" something ( I think ). Is that where you guy's meet for your cruise ?

Randy

The Runaway

Well Known Member
I'm almost certain that Clements built Philly's engines as I recall. Those were some really fun times. A few years ago Philly and I found what was left of US 30 dragstrip.It was a real nostalgia moment.I'll tell him about the Crown Point cruise.You have to see the restoration Philly did on his '61. Really top drawer.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob,
Several years ago, someone at Kniola's Speed Shop told me there was some high dollar street drag racing over your way. There was a car gathering at a subshop. We passed a drive-in restaurant just
a few blocks before turning west to the subshop. A couple friends of mine drove their cars along with me. No racing. Not even anything resembling any kind of a race car. Bummer. Never went back.
That drive-in was named the "blue" something ( I think ). Is that where you guy's meet for your cruise ?

Randy
Randy, You are thinking of Blue Top. It was the big hangout in west Lake county when I was a kid. Many races were lined up there. Not sure if that happens that much anymore. I haven't taken my 64 there since 2003. Race motor went back in. Not street legal so much after that. It's just south of Rt. 6 on Indianapolis BLVD (Highway 41). There's a cruise nite out here almost everynight of the week.
I hit Crown Point on thursdays, when the car runs. Should be there this week.

Bob

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm almost certain that Clements built Philly's engines as I recall. Those were some really fun times. A few years ago Philly and I found what was left of US 30 dragstrip.It was a real nostalgia moment.I'll tell him about the Crown Point cruise.You have to see the restoration Philly did on his '61. Really top drawer.
Eddie, Never saw Philly's 61 but I'd like to. Does he take it to shows?

Bob

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Randy, You are thinking of Blue Top. It was the big hangout in west Lake county when I was a kid. Many races were lined up there. Not sure if that happens that much anymore. I haven't taken my 64 there since 2003. Race motor went back in. Not street legal so much after that. It's just south of Rt. 6 on Indianapolis BLVD (Highway 41). There's a cruise nite out here almost everynight of the week.
I hit Crown Point on thursdays, when the car runs. Should be there this week.

Bob

I won't be able to get out until friday, saturday, or sunday. Will there be anything going on then ?
Any 348/409 hotrods over your way ?
Is there any "W" motor cars that run at US41 ?

The Runaway

Well Known Member
Eddie, Never saw Philly's 61 but I'd like to. Does he take it to shows?

Bob
Bob, he takes it out on occasion but so far this year it's still up on blocks. As far as I know he used to take it up to Photo's Hot Dogs in Mount Prospect on occasional Saturday nights. The car is fantastic. Philly is a stickler for detail and it shows on the '61.I'm sure that someday he would like to have another '63 and redo it just like the Rag a Muffin. I still have 2 09r's on stands sleeping,right next to the 427 center oiler.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What's a center oiler?? I'll have to have you guys let me know when you're going up to the drive in. I'll come up and check out the car. Be good to see you guys again.

Bob

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I won't be able to get out until friday, saturday, or sunday. Will there be anything going on then ?
Any 348/409 hotrods over your way ?
Is there any "W" motor cars that run at US41 ?
I'm trying to make Crown Point this Thursday. Open headers. Can't take the car to Blue Top. I'd be in jail!!

The Runaway

Well Known Member
What's a center oiler?? I'll have to have you guys let me know when you're going up to the drive in. I'll come up and check out the car. Be good to see you guys again.

Bob
I'm leaving for Tennessee in a few minutes so I won't be on for a few days. I'll talk to Phil

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My, Bad I automatically thought there was a BBC I missed.
I'm guessing it the opposit of the side oiler.

The Runaway

Well Known Member
My, Bad I automatically thought there was a BBC I missed.
I'm guessing it the opposit of the side oiler.
Well I'm back from Tennessee. Started out sunny and warm but ended up in a horrendous thunder storm. Rained the last third of the way down and almost all of the way back. While I was down there I did accomplish a few things. I bought a '66 Pontiac 2+2 convertible with an HO 421 tri power,automatic,P/S,P/B and power windows. I also found a car nuts dream. Something you only read about in magazines. An out of the way junk yard with some of the best cars I have ever seen in a junk yard. I counted 4 '63 Impala hardtops with little or no damage on them except for the usual surface rust from sitting out in the elements. There were a number of '55,'56,and '57 Chevys .Most were entirely restorable. Something for the AMC crowd too.,3 complete Javalin's. Most of the cars were from the 50's and 60's and just about all shouldn't have been in a junk yard. It seems that the owner won't sell to anyone unless it's a local and only if he knows him and is a good friend. Yes a center oiler is a 427 FE Ford. I have a couple of those cars too. Having trouble loading pics. What am I doing wrong???

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
To load pics, ya gotta reduce the size, reduce the size, reduce the size:D

The Runaway

Well Known Member
Bob,Don and Ron. A few pics of the cars and a little description is in the "introduce yourself" forum segment. I'll try and load up the factory invoice and data tag for the Runaway over the week end and a couple of pics from racing at the Grove in 1961. A little nostalgia.