barber john 409 ss impala

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Having trouble loading pics. What am I doing wrong???

You're already using PhotoBucket.
1. Go to the picture you want to post.
2. Click in the block that has IMG to the left of it (see below). This will copy the code you need to put a picture in your post.
3. Return to the post you are creating on the board and paste the code you just copied from PhotoBucket.
4. I find it easier if I have two tabs open in my browser. One on this board and one on the photo hosting site. Then I can switch between the two sites to copy and paste links to pictures.

The Runaway

Well Known Member
Boy that sure brought back memories. I never raced against him but I raced with him for years. He and Philly(Rag a Muffin) were in a higher class than I was. The only pics that I have of my car racing is some that I found that were taken in 1961 at Union Grove Wisconsin. Back in those days everyone had a Ford truck scoop on their hood.
I'll see if I can get a pic of the Rag a Muffin from Philly to show everyone. I think he has some laying around.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Dang ...i havent logged on in a long long time and here I see this thread. how cool. I knew Phil N was the original Rag owner. He told me that when I stopped there after seeing a 61 peeking out from a garage door 1/2 open. I had a 61 clone SS 409 Impala back then. Had to be inlate 80's . My brother lived around the block from him. Right across the street from the His and Hers Oldsmobile guy Bureski ! Runaway do you and Phil ever get out to a cruise night ?

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well I was at a cruise night tonite and one of the guys who shows up a lot writes articles on original owner "barn finds" . Great guy. Well he just wrote an article on The Runaway ! Its in this months Hot Rod. Congrats Mr Koop. If you ever want to get out to one of the last cruise nights...I will pick you and Phil up in the 64 !!!!!

CHEVYLS6

Welcome to the site Bill!:beerbang
There are a lot of people that would love to hear any history you have concerning that car.:deal
I am getting the pics of my dads car "RAGAMUFFIN" i hope to be putting them on soon if i can scan them. i am going to get the story from my dad on how and where his car came about. i now know that wes weslowski did own a 63 impala named ragamuffin. im trying to get a pic of wes car for my dad to see because he said in the years he was racing he had never seen another car with the same name. bill

CHEVYLS6

Dang ...i havent logged on in a long long time and here I see this thread. how cool. I knew Phil N was the original Rag owner. He told me that when I stopped there after seeing a 61 peeking out from a garage door 1/2 open. I had a 61 clone SS 409 Impala back then. Had to be inlate 80's . My brother lived around the block from him. Right across the street from the His and Hers Oldsmobile guy Bureski ! Runaway do you and Phil ever get out to a cruise night ?
yea i remember bureski, and his wife drove the cars. my dad and i would listen to him from our house tuning the car the night before they went racing. my dad still has his 61 impala and also a 65 impala. i would love to take my dad to a cruise night soon but with 4 little kids its hard to get away right now. bill

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The His n Hers Oldsmobiles ! Pretty sure they still run occasionally ! Get those pictures posted ! Pick up the ole man and his best bud and drag them up to Mundelein cruise tomorrow night if the weather holds out.

Micuss

Hey I just saw this post. About a month ago I was at Mike Klines house picking up my tranny. What a great guy to sit and talk with. I could spend hours over there just sitting and listening to old drag racing stories. Mike raced a Camaro called ET Bandito and before that I think he raced a 56 Chevy. He still has the tow tabs and tow bar that he would drag his cars around from track to track. If any of you know Mike, you know he likes to talk about the good old days.

<Quote> Hey Guys I Just Got Here So I Thought I Would Comment. Yes Mike Kline had a 55 Nomad Called ET Bandito. Ran a 427 and It Was Hot. Would Pull The Wheels No Problem. Mike Then Went To The 454 when It Was Available And Broke A lot Of Parts. I Don't Recall the 454 Running As Well As The 427. He Shows A Yellow And Black Top 68 Camaro and Still Rebuilds Muncies and Can Be Found At Most Big Swap Meets Or Kniola's Speed Shop In Michigan City Indiana
Hey I just saw this post. About a month ago I was at Mike Klines house picking up my tranny. What a great guy to sit and talk with. I could spend hours over there just sitting and listening to old drag racing stories. Mike raced a Camaro called ET Bandito and before that I think he raced a 56 Chevy. He still has the tow tabs and tow bar that he would drag his cars around from track to track. If any of you know Mike, you know he likes to talk about the good old days.

Micuss

barber vs. ziggy

barber brought his 63 to city wanted to race ziggys 62 well ziggy blew his doors off ... 400 north off of johnson road was the site of the race ... too bad ziggy died so long ago he was the best there was wonder what happened to the car ???:dunno

barber vs. ziggy

barber brought his 63 to city wanted to race ziggys 62 well ziggy blew his doors off ... 400 north off of johnson road was the site of the race ... too bad ziggy died so long ago he was the best there was wonder what happened to the car ???:dunno

Quote) Ira Chez from Valparaiso bought Ziggy's Car in the Day after his Passing. Ira Owned and operated The Corvette Shop before Bob bought it. That was in the late 70's remember the night of the Accident some 18 year old drunk hit them on Route 12. That was when the Drinking Age In Michigan was lowered to 18. That was one fine Car. I too heard Dr. Block the Oral Surgeon from Valparaiso bought Ziggy's 09 and it is In Shorewood with Dr. Blocks Gold Plated Harley.. Dr. Block as a perfectionist I am sure it is Pristine. Those were some Great Times. There Also Was a 409 out of Portage That Was A runner, Don't think it was a Match for Zippy. Old George Selhorne had a Black 62 SS 09 ran 12'os in the Day.

Micuss

This car being discussed was one of my favorite 409 cars of all time. I remember seeing it back around 1983 at Super Chevy-Indy and reading about it in Super Chevy magazine. Ziggy's '62 was a Tuxedo Black/Red interior Super Sport. It had fenderwell headers, chrome Astros, headlight Ram-Air, tow bar tabs, early Olds/Pontiac rear axle, and had the perfect sixties-era Super Stock stance.......I mean this thing was the ultimate 409 car that we all remembered from the good 'ol days. The magazine article said the car had run as quick as 11.68 back then. That was flying! Rich Kopanski owned the car back in the Eighties and I think he was even at Phil's convention a few years back. Last I heard the car was sold long ago to a doctor/dentist and was put back to 100% stock which ABSOLUTELY breaks my heart to hear if true!

How about some photos of this car?

Quote) Ira Chez from Valparaiso bought Ziggy's Car in the Day after his Passing. Ira Owned and operated The Corvette Shop before Bob bought it. That was in the late 70's remember the night of the Accident some 18 year old drunk hit them on Route 12. That was when the Drinking Age In Michigan was lowered to 18. That was one fine Car. I too heard Dr. Block the Oral Surgeon from Valparaiso bought Ziggy's 09 and Dr. Block has it in Shorewood with his Gold Plated Harley.

Micuss

Pretty sure Ziggy had an Olds-Poncho rear. When I saw it a shop called Corvette Bob's, He told me the fenderwell headers were made by a guy named Bob Morgan. Not sure about the first name but I was looking for him to make a set for my car and found he had passed away. Was a good chassis builder in our area. They were very nice. Bob

Rick Morgan was the Chassis Builder he was really good. He would always weld when or after he smoked a joint.

Quote) Ira Chez from Valparaiso bought Ziggy's Car in the Day after his Passing. Ira Owned and operated The Corvette Shop before Bob bought it. That was in the late 70's remember the night of the Accident some 18 year old drunk hit them on Route 12. That was when the Drinking Age In Michigan was lowered to 18. That was one fine Car. I too heard Dr. Block the Oral Surgeon from Valparaiso bought Ziggy's 09 and Dr. Block has it in Shorewood with his Gold Plated Harley.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeah, sure was a cool lookin' car. I used to see "The Barber" ( he actually was
a barber) at local car gatherings. I heard his family had the 63 lent out to Garlits.

Sure would like to see the car locally again ( LaPorte, IN ).
I know this is old, but Shan mentioned the car being on loan at Gartlis' museum. I heard they had a hard time getting it back, but I think the family has it now. Likely his daughter.
Bob

63409impala

Well Known Member
I know this is old, but Shan mentioned the car being on loan at Gartlis' museum. I heard they had a hard time getting it back, but I think the family has it now. Likely his daughter.
Bob
Last I knew the car was still in garlits' possession as he wasn't letting them get it back claiming they donated it. I could be very wrong on this which i hope i am. I hope the family got the car back.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Rick Morgan was the Chassis Builder he was really good. He would always weld when or after he smoked a joint.

Found an obit for Dr Block. He died in 2013.