Bob's Aluminum 409 Block

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not a lot of progress yet Mike, Unless you count getting the patterns done and some castings poured. Got most of the #'s for programming into the machine. Fixtures are done. Just waiting my turn. Hope to strart cutting in October now. Need to get one finished and build something huge. Bob

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob-

If I ever get settled with the insurance company, I will be your guinea pig.:D:D:D Ronnie will be the one putting it together.....:bow

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian, Did you have special insurance on the car? I worry about the coverage I have.
Really hoping to build the big motor soon. I think I'd go 540 but I'm sure Ronnie would like the "509". A lot of details have to be right before that happens. Thanks. Bob

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob-

I have stated value insurance through American Collectors Insurance.

And you're right, Ronnie would probably want to go with a 509, but I would want it as big as it would go! :brow We will definitely argue over it when the time comes! :roll

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The standard deck height will do some limiting as far as stroke goes. In that situation we can always go to a taller deck height and still retain the stock angle. If you want to go longer than 4.250, we'll need the taller deck. + .200 should be doable. I'm waiting on the machining before we pour the iron ones. Bob

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Imagine the look on the guys face, that has a 502 BBC, after he asks, what's under YOUR hood.:dunno Oh, it's just a 609!!!!:yawn::roll

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
609 would take some engineering, but it should fly. Would take some "creative deck work". aka, reducing the deck angle. 4.600 on the bore. Then math rears it's ugly head. .200 tall on the block makes the same deck height as a BBC. Bob

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
:roll:roll:roll The thing is, will Brian remember the words? :doh :dunno " I'm sorry for that remark, Jesus, and all the pigmys in Africa " :roll:roll

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Right now we're nailing down the dowel pin locations to mount the casting to the fixturing in the machine. Gotta get that located so you don't ace off the casting. Doesn't seem like a lot of progress but at least still finally moving forward. Once we start cutting I'll try and get pictures. Hasn't been easy getting this far. I can see why no one else tried this in the last 40 years.
Also working on the 4 bolts caps. We'll make them for either main journal, but you need to get about 50 sets to keep the cost down. Keep the faith. Bob

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Mike, All all can do is get out the cattle prod. Might need to use the heavy duty one. Earliest might be end of November. Just have to see how it goes and if we need to make changes. As soon as the program and pattern work is proved, I'll do a couple in iron to verify them. Bob

dean409

Well Known Member
The closest words to describe my awe would be quickly edited by our wonderful moderators, so I'll simply just say....holy W, Batman!!!!!!!! :clap
Wow.
:bow
Absolutely beautiful. Any guesstimate on final weight for comparison?