Bob's Aluminum 409 Block

DAMN, this is nice s***, Bob:bow:beer

Would be good to the exhaust manifolds tooled up as well:deal

I'll try to keep up:pray... maybe we can make this the year that all this finally comes together.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We.ve cast a bunch of the manifolds in aluminum. Only one set in iron. Hope to do some finish work on them soon.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The aluminum manifolds are pretty neat. Did Chevy ever use aluminum on any of their engines? I think some of the Pontiac Super Duty's had aluminum exhaust manifolds. :scratch
My first thought is,,, would they melt :scratch but when you think about it aluminum pistons and cylinder heads don't melt. I'm guessing they'd be fine as long as the engine was tuned properly. I suppose a guy could even get the inside of the manifold done with ceramic coating just for a little extra insurance.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
From what Pontiac guys tell me, the stories of melted manifolds was old wives tales. I talked to guys making Pontiac manifolds now say if you make them right and put a thermal barrier inside and flanges you would never have a problem. I have a pattern guy improving the patterns to make them easier to pour. I just wish my foundry in Chicago could do iron. That had no problems with the first pour.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Like Jim said -figure the heat in the aluminum heat exhaust port of the head is probably a little hotter than in the manifold and they don't melt! Now if you get an exhaust gasket leak that might be a different story.