Firewall marking`s

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
730factory2-

The above image is of the markings behind the driverside wheel well. The way I figure things out is its saying this is the 8th fawn colored interior car at the specific plant the car was built at. Is that correct or dose the 8 mean something else?

Russ348

Well Known Member
chevy_belair63 said:
730factory2-

The above image is of the markings behind the driverside wheel well. The way I figure things out is its saying this is the 8th fawn colored interior car at the specific plant the car was built at. Is that correct or dose the 8 mean something else?

Cannot view picture for some reason

JokersBel

Banned
I was told numbers like that indicated an inspectors ID # who passed the car for whatever their inspection was. My 59 has an 806 to the right and above the master cylinder, an 8 above the heater box, and a 653 below the blower motor.

Jim

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My car has got an orange or maybe yellow 10 in that area. Not sure if there is anyhting else as I haven't taken my inner fener off. I've also got some numbers behind the passenger side valve cover and some letters above the heater box. "409" is written upside down, on the underside of the hood, above the battery, if the hood was closed. "409" is also printed in white lettering on the drivers side of the heater outlet, under the dash. All are original markings.
Ross

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
chevy_belair63 said:
Im starting to think maybe the sequintial order no 88 might be related to the 8 above fawn on the fire wall.

In all likely hood, the number on the firewall has nothing to do with which fawn colored car came down the line. There would be no reason for a lineman to mark the car for such purposes. The '8' is likely either a line inspector number or in reference to a specific option on the car.

For the car to be the 8th fawn color car down the line, you'd also have a fairly low sequence number on the trim tag.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
On the trim tag the number is 2778 and on the broadcast sheet the sequintial NO is 88 on it. so if you ask me the numbers are very low. and i was meaning maybe the 8 would be related to the 8th 1611 fawn colored interior. not all in general.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
The linemen would still have no reason to keep track of how many fawn interior cars have passed down the line.

***Edited by the administration***

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
*****Edited by the Poster *******

Thanks Bob,,,just could help it,,,,, I`m trying ,,,,I`m trying,,,,honest ,,, ;)

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
dang....................missed it.

i'm sure those marks were intended for you to find 'em and wonder why they're there.
I currently am building several vehicles that are identical, it's very hard to remember which has what or what's been done, sometimes i create an id marking to help keep track.

when i used to build heavy equipment, i'd ALWAYS put a buger on the ones going out of country. the painters would then seal it in place. now that we have DNA testing, i have quit that.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Words of wisdom to all.

I write this not to inflame anybody, but to mearly inspire everybody !
I don't think it's an 8 at all. I think it is the sign of infinity, as in , never ending . You know, kind of like the thread. I do believe that Shakespeare said it best when he titled the play" Much to do about nothing"
Have a great day ! ;)