Help with 9” and driveshaft

taws697

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I just ordered a 9in. from Quick Performance for my 63 Biscayne. Unfortunately, I waited a little too long and my timeline will be close as far as getting to car back together in time for a Nostalgic race I entered. I was hoping to figure out what I will need for a driveshaft prior to the 9in arriving. The car has a 327 that I believe will make about 400hp with a close ratio 69 Muncie 4 speed. It has a 27 spline output shaft I believe. I plan to run factory upper and lower control arms for the time being. I was told the yoke on the 9in. will be a “short” 1310. I plan on running a billet center support bearing. Can you guys recommend what direction to go with the front and rear driveshafts? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

taws697

Well Known Member
You can use the Inland Empire telescoping shaft with a solid billet center bearing. You should be running 1350 ujoints. That car is just the ticket! Great color , stance and wheels.
Thank you! Is the Inland Empire piece just the rear section? Or is it the entire driveshaft? Will they know the correct length or will they want a measurement? The reason I ask is because I pulled a 6cyl/3spd out of this car so I’m starting from scratch on driveshaft lengths and what not. I guess I could just call them and ask these questions. I’ll give Quick Performance a call and step it up to a 1350 yoke. Thanks for your help!

taws697

Well Known Member
I guess the question I really need answered is this: Does anyone with a 9” know the measurement for the rear driveshaft? Inland empire says they would need to know the distance from the front carrier bearing hole to the face of the yoke. I know every car is a little different but I’d hope the telescoping shaft would make up for slight variations.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Make sure you measure with the car on a 4 post hoist or a minimum all four wheels on car ramps,(if they are individual ramps ensure 2 of them face each other so the car wont roll back or forward), if you don't have access to a hoist.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
When I talked to Inline a few years ago about my project they said it needs to be measured and they had specific dimensions they needed and how to get them.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thank you! Is the Inland Empire piece just the rear section? Or is it the entire driveshaft? Will they know the correct length or will they want a measurement? The reason I ask is because I pulled a 6cyl/3spd out of this car so I’m starting from scratch on driveshaft lengths and what not. I guess I could just call them and ask these questions. I’ll give Quick Performance a call and step it up to a 1350 yoke. Thanks for your help!
The 1350 yoke is tricey to put through the frame. I swapped in a billet yoke and couldn't figure out why the shaft wouldn't go through. Toward the front of the X there's a circle. I guees you could open it up, but I was able toturn yoke to one side and shoehorn it in. A good thing to know up front.
Several years ago I went through the Dana and put in a new Chrysler yoke. Blew it apart on the secomd launch. Got a Strange billet yoke and it was longer than the Chrysler so the shaft had to get shortened. Inland has a drawing of what to measure. And their 502 shaft has a larger yoke and bearing at the rear of the front half. A good shop can get most of the parts from Spicer and get the forged pieces. I don't know if inland will seill the big bearing seperate.
Bob

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thank you! I hope my rear shows up in time to make my own measurements, but if it doesn’t these will be very helpful.
I would not use that front shaft measurement ? i have not seen a T10 or Muncie 4 speed with that long of a front shaft in any of the X frame cars i built:dunno

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
ok.. mine (front) fits perfect at my (2" lowered) ride height at29.5" ..........with the front driveshaft fully compressed it measures 28.4 and fully expands another 1 5/8"

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pic of front dr shaft fully expanded

Attachments

• 4FEB4E0E-F5E8-4568-A0A1-574F4F9D8E10.jpeg
    4FEB4E0E-F5E8-4568-A0A1-574F4F9D8E10.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 31