Hidden VIN on frame

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
On our 67 Camaro we had to take it to the State Patrol, Wa. State. I don't know which year they started this but on the 67 there is a vin # behind the
heater box cover on the cowl, and also there is one stamped inside the cowl vent area, this one they can see with a flash light. Maybe you could
do some investigating on what year that the Inspectors are referring to, that has to do with stampings. I know this is somewhat happens, like most things where there is power to be had with certain jobs. Good luck..

402 Impala

Well Known Member
This is exactly what the sherriffs here told me (numbers behind the heater box) but from what i was told and understand there's nothing like this behind mine on the impala, i did start tearing the heater box cover off but all i saw was fins from a condenser (i believe) but after i was told its not worth doing i stopped im just thankful this sargent understands these old car issues lol

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I showed them the cowl tag they said the actual #s theyre looking for are the last (6) i believe which is the actual cars vin the others are information such as a V8 car and 2 door/4 door and where it was built so they want to see those extra numbers i luckily found a highway patrol sargent who understands these older cars only had one vin on the body and he is going to inspect mine weds and sign off on it thank goodness
That's great ,,,,, oh, by the way we need some picture's of your car to inspect here!!!!!!!!:D:D

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I showed them the cowl tag they said the actual #s theyre looking for are the last (6) i believe which is the actual cars vin the others are information such as a V8 car and 2 door/4 door and where it was built so they want to see those extra numbers i luckily found a highway patrol sargent who understands these older cars only had one vin on the body and he is going to inspect mine weds and sign off on it thank goodness

All cars (1955 and newer) have just one VIN tag clearly visible on the body/door/dash windshield area. But they all also have "hidden" VINs stamped elsewhere. Starting in mid sixties most also went to VIN on engine block but most original engines are long gone.

Now you're cooking, just get someone else to do the inspection without making a fuss and get it signed off

In my opinion if the VIN tag on the body is clearly original and not tampered with that should be good enough and there's no reason to look for other VINs, however many DMV's don't subscribed to my simple logic.:dunno

402 Impala

Well Known Member
Lol mines far from perfect but its interiorless right now as i sent in some stuff to Ciadellas interiors to get redone im excited for it

402 Impala

Well Known Member
10s8abk.jpg

2cyfd5v.jpg

Im hoping to buy some rear valances in the next few days from someone near me i also need rear roof scallops and im looking for a one piece rear bumper
Also should get a rechromed grill too

402 Impala

Well Known Member
Nice car ,what are your plan's for the car????
Thanks, looking to get the missing parts first like rear valances and scallops and then i want to make it show car worthy along as a driver...just talked to a older man here who has 10 different 348 motors so he is going to check to see how many are the correct year i may go that route next not sure yet all depending on price