iaco59

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
As soon as Fatride checks in............he just started retirement so is "busy" right now..............he can cure all your problems!! He is our on site 3x2 guru!!!! And like Tic's60..............Fatride accepts any type of alcohol thru PayPal!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:cheers:cool::cool:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
And like Tic's60..............Fatride accepts any type of alcohol thru PayPal!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:cheers:cool::cool:

IT DON~T WORK !!!

I "clicked " PayPal and poured booze on my keyboard and all I got was a mess !!!:crazy:cool::scratch

iaco59

Well Known Member
sounds like fatride is the man I need to talk with. I'll buy him a whole case of cyber space booze

iaco59

Well Known Member
Is there any boby else on the forum that knows 3x2 beside Fatride{ he is probably really busy}I have a car show to go to next Sat.Sun. Would really like to get some of my problems worked out before then Your help would really be appreicated

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Describe the issues you are having and we might be able to help you out.

Are you running progrssive linkage or?

If so you can set up the middle one and run off it to move around.

Floats set?

Choke off on?

Good fuel pump?

If running an electric do you have a regulator on it?

Many things to ask

iaco59

Well Known Member
Thanks for the reply:
I"m using progresive
New kits in all three, Floats set as instructed[LEVEL AND DROP}
Choke off
New fule pump
First start at the touch of the key--let it set 10 min. and it flood itself{ hold pedel to metal three or four times before start} set float level less with no change
Jets 60 center and front 61 rear. elev. here 6300ft.
timing set 10 btc
With all in --20 mph to 60 mph --surges or lopes a little
Last week on first start blew left muffler apart I've been told that on 59 the BB's are left out of the pump and power valves on 1&3 because the get fuel through the slot in pump housing Is that true? also been told I need 1/2 in base plates because of boil over causing flooding Lets try to start from here

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Check your fuel pressure. I run a pressure regulator on all my set ups. Sounds like you may have fuel blowing by the seat. I do not use the rebuild seats. I have had them blow by at 6 psi. Upgraded to better sealing units from the carb guys like Vintage Speed or Automotion.

Float adjustment is pretty critical. I set the float level at 3/4 inch measured with the gasket in place and to the center of the float flange & soldered seam. Set float drop at 1 3/4 from gasket down to corner of float (toe). Float level is much more important than 'float drop'. The float arm should be parrallel with the bowl gasket or @ a slight incline. You can adjust this by adding valve washers.

How does the engine idle? Make sure that the #1 and #3 carbs have no air at idle. Just put your hand over the top of the carb at idle and ensure that there is no suction. If there is then your not closing off the throttle plates tightly. If they are leaking, I would suggest blocking off the carbs and then get the engine running with the center carb first.

Surging could be the timing. Had that with mine. Ray helped me out with this also. I had timing running up to 50 degrees at 1500 rpms. If I disconnected the vacuum advance the car would run ok. Ray suggested a adjustable vacuum advance and had sent me instructions on setting it up. I will see if I can find that thread and will send you the link. It was very helpful.

Hope you find some solutions. Keep us in the loop. Walt

Here is the link to that thread about timing issues.
http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14800

iaco59

Well Known Member
Thanks Walt, Fuel pressure may be some of the problem. I have not checked that and i did put on a new pump {1962}Instead of kitting my org. I will recheck float levels again and get new seats. How much vacume are you pulling at dist. Ajustable sound exciting , keep me posted . With that high of timing are you getting any kick back or pinging? what is your opinion of the .025 BB's in the pump and power valves as well as the 1/2 inch carb base plates. I found a note in some lit. i have about fuel filter beening replaced every 15000 or sooner if flooding occures . Fuel filter are not included in kits so i simply cleaned the org. could that be a problem? Am i too reach on jetting at 6300 ft? Gary

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My initial is set around 14 and I get no pinging on 87 octane. CR is around 9-1. You can order on line from www.vintagespeed.com. They have a large catalog and ususally I get my stuff in four days. Get the good seats and a new power valve assmb for the center carb. first and thrid carbs do not have power valves. Plug them off. I run the Bb's and couldn't say I have had any issues with them. Mr Gasket makes a small round pressure regulator that can be put in line. My friend uses them on all his hot rods and they seem to work well. He gets them thru Speedway I believe. Walt

iaco59

Well Known Member
additional info: checked fuel pressure -6 to 61/2. I was told to use 91octane with lead additive????? spark plugs are ac 44xl. I have three different lit.1-44s, 2-44n, 3-44xl. I dont know s--- about heat ranges??? My intial set up was : float level ,F,1 27/64, C,1 27/32 R, 1 27/64. drop:all three at 1 29/32.You indicated 3/4 level 1 3/4 drop .was that a typo? if not my level is wrong. I will contact vintage now. thanks for the info. have you located vacume adjust. and pressure your running? My timing was at 14 when muffler exploded, just turn it back to 10. Do you have base plates or thick gaskets? Gary

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gary, 44XLS is a good plug for your engine and readily available at most parts houses. Most likely R44XLS will be what you find. Will work good.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Gary,there's no bb check valves in the 59-60-61 end carbs. the brass fuel filters can be cleaned, make sure you install it with the spring behind it and the male i.d. cone facing out towards the fuel supply. if you have stock dia. needle and seats, 5-6 lbs pump pressure and float settings of 1 7/16 on the end carbs and 1 5/16 on the center carb is ok. on a non race setup i tend to go 4-5 lbs pump pressure with stock float settings. these little burgers are a little temperamental using higher pump pressure. some guys forget about the relationship between needle and seat size, pump pressure and float level. your surge is coming from too much total timing and/or coming on too fast. stay tuned, there are alot of guys on here that will help. Ray (fatride) is one of them.

iaco59

Well Known Member
Ray thank, you guys are very helpful and i will continue staying oneven after my problem is solved. I love this car and want it to run right.I installed the BB's in all three. so carbs are coming off again!!Walt mention fuel reg which i'll get as fast as i can. Hopefully i can continue getting this expert advise and make this the last time they come off Do you have an opinion about base plates?? fuel octane? Would you explain total timing and coming on to fast to include remidies. ??