iaco59

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Gary, the bb i am talking about is located in the bottom of the accelerator pump well. they were only used on the end carbs in 58. it's alum and i think it was 5/32 in dia. all three of your carbs should not have this ball in the bottom of the accelerator pump well. the pump discharge check ball, higher up in the main carb body stays in place on all three carbs. it's steel and 3/16 in dia. it's under a light spring held in place with a tee shaped retainer.

iaco59

Well Known Member
Its a good thing you explaind that . I would have removed both in end carb and left center alone. Does the power valve have to be removed and pluged also in the end carbs

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Just returned home from a vacation trip yesterday, I have read this thread. Some good info. I'll adress your issues tomorrow, it's a little late to get started right now.

Regards, Ray
Fathead racing.

iaco59

Well Known Member
Welcome back and i hope you are enjoying retirement. I retired a few years ago myself --love it. Thank you so much for your interest in my problem. I will be looking forward to visiting with you Gary

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Gary, the bb i am talking about is located in the bottom of the accelerator pump well. they were only used on the end carbs in 58. it's alum and i think it was 5/32 in dia. all three of your carbs should not have this ball in the bottom of the accelerator pump well. the pump discharge check ball, higher up in the main carb body stays in place on all three carbs. it's steel and 3/16 in dia. it's under a light spring held in place with a tee shaped retainer.
The first thing,,,,are your carbs original three two carbs?? If not you are in trouble from the get go.

Gearhead is correct, aluminum check valves in the bottom of the accelerator pump well is installed in the front and rear carbs only. A lot of times the aluminum check ball will become stuck in the front and rear carbs, it's a bear to get out. There is no aluminum check ball in the center carb pump well. Don't get the pump well check balls mixed up with the pump discharge ball check. Also as stated earlier there is no power valves in front and rear carbs. Your flooding problem is caused by one or two things, either you have dirt in the idle circuit or (most likely) your fuel pump pressure is overcoming the float needle and seat. 4 lbs max should be the pump pressure to the carbs. Also stated earlier is the suggestion that front and rear carbs may be leaking air past the throttle blades. The front and rear carbs on an original three two setup had throttle blades that are different from the center carb, they are thicker to prevent them sticking in the throttle bore when they are closed. Center carb is never closed all the way. Float level adjustments are, Float level, front and rear carbs, 1 5/16". Center carb, 1 1/4" Float drop, all three carbs, 1 29/32. Hope this helps. I cannot comment on the jetting at different elevations. I jet my three two's for the 348 with .061 jets front to rear.

iaco59

Well Known Member
Thanks for the come back. If everything goes well today I will be taking them off and rechecking everything. I'm the third owner of the car so I cant confrim it they are org. 39,000 miles when i bought it. I have ordered Fuel reg. hopefully will be here by fri. Gearhead mention all three should carb should "NOT" have BB's under accelerator pump.---????You said front and rear???? I'm little confused. Maybe I'm reading this wrong. Sorry I"m so stupid I think my jetting is close. a little dark on plugs but when the flooding problem is corrected I think that will also correct it self. What is your opinion on 1/2 base plates???? thanks so much for your help Gary

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks for the come back. If everything goes well today I will be taking them off and rechecking everything. I'm the third owner of the car so I cant confrim it they are org. 39,000 miles when i bought it. I have ordered Fuel reg. hopefully will be here by fri. Gearhead mention all three should carb should "NOT" have BB's under accelerator pump.---????You said front and rear???? I'm little confused. Maybe I'm reading this wrong. Sorry I"m so stupid I think my jetting is close. a little dark on plugs but when the flooding problem is corrected I think that will also correct it self. What is your opinion on 1/2 base plates???? thanks so much for your help Gary

No check ball under middle carb pump well, check ball in front and rear only. 1/2" spacer under carbs is a win situation, a must have in my book. I have three that I made myself from phenolic plastic I will sell them all for $75.00.

iaco59

Well Known Member
Thanks again for all the info. I have already started the base plates out of 1/2 aluminum . Just need to polish the bore"s I'll keep you posted as work progresses Fuel reg and gauge should be here Fri. Gary

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks again for all the info. I have already started the base plates out of 1/2 aluminum . Just need to polish the bore"s I'll keep you posted as work progresses Fuel reg and gauge should be here Fri. Gary

I do not like aluminum for carb spacers. Aluminum conducts heat very well. Better material is Phenolic plastic. Sorry to rain on your parade! :dunno

iaco59

Well Known Member
Another Question: Does the base gaskets form two complete circles or just the outside leaving a spsce between the two circles????

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Another Question: Does the base gaskets form two complete circles or just the outside leaving a space between the two circles????

I have the correct fel pro # for the three two carbs somewhere, I'll look for it. Acually the gasket is listed for a International Harvester! :dunno

iaco59

Well Known Member
Hey, thanks for the info. They look alrigth to me. They mak the complete circles , the ones i have dont. A little off the subject but i will share with you. I'm also a pilot Cherokee 180, 7989W

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hey, thanks for the info. They look alrigth to me. They mak the complete circles , the ones i have dont. A little off the subject but i will share with you. I'm also a pilot Cherokee 180, 7989W

Great airplane. My cousin in Austin, actually Round Rock, has a Cherokee 140. I have a 46 Navion and the T-28. Don't fly anymore though so I pretend to play with cars.:coffee:

iaco59

Well Known Member
As we get older we should'nt be flying. Cars is a great hobby . From your post i assume you are a vet. I was in Nam 66,67,68, with the 52nd,Mekong Delta

iaco59

Well Known Member
iaco59 Is running strong

I can't thank you guys enough for all the help and advise you gave me. Its been a long hard battle but it is now running strong" Real Strong" I'm ashame to say but most of my problems was me {big hurry the first time} Found a lot of problems starting with throttle bodies sucking air and right on up.Took my,time redone everthing with new spec, installed fuel reg. and gauge, base plates, modified progressive linkage a little. Running 60 jets in all three. Seem to perform best at 16 degree BTDC . I'm real happy !!!Thanks again to everybody. Any other HOT tips pass them on .I"LL LISTEN and learn i hope
Gary
How do I get my pic. back on my post:doh:?