Let the Wild Rumpus Begin!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That's my wife's former driver from 2001 thru 2011. I beat it up since then and now it's being donated to Habitat for Humanity if I ever getting around to filling out the paperwork :).

Does this pic look to be a better representative of the Manshed?
STB_6307.JPG

You might have noted that we sort of started the stone work below the belt line, at least we got the mesh and the first coat of scratch up. Since then we've started arranging the fake stone over that scratch coat. I had a bunch of these stones left over from previous builds over the years, and we're mixing three different colors together into something new :).
It's good to finally see them have a resting place after being moved around several times it the past 10 years...
STA_6313.JPG
Cheers!
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
It's been a few months since I posted pics and progress, so here goes:

The exterior of the building is pretty much done, a few things needed here and there.

We have some electricity in selected spaces, just enough to allow me to work inside.

Just got the gas hooked up, but I only have FANG in 900 square feet of the space (it's 4200 all total).

There has been no heat or running water. Been using propane and diesel fuel to power salamanders so I can get the temps within "painting range" (above 55 degrees).

I do have the water main hooked up and hope to get running water soon. As soon as I get running water I can hook up a water heater and try out my radiant heat, which is just in the basement area.

Also trying to schedule a machine to prep for concrete work and the driveway.

Every day I make a little progress. Been spending 6-7 days a week, about 6-8 hours each day. Sheetrock is in place and have primer and first coat of paint. Still need to clean the concrete floors (big buffing job).

Here's a shot of about 900 square feet in the basement:

Basement 12.26.2016.jpg

Those are your former shelves, Phil Reed :).

The lights I have up now are LEDs, four footers. They do throw a lot of light, but then I've been working with mobile lighting for months, so it could be me :).

Here's a pic of the office area just to the left of this space:

Basement 2 12.26.2016.jpg

Not quite ready to begin moving stuff in as yet, waiting on electric and plumbing to make some progress.

Everything in it's own time!

TomK

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks great Tom!!!! Noticed the aqua shelves right away. I think I had them for about 28 years......had a butt load of NOS parts on them.......hope they serve you as well as they did for me.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Those shelves fit right in place, now I can populate them!

Glad I went with 10 foot ceilings, I had to build soffits around the various utilities and the shelves fit right under them :).

Still a long way to go, but I'll be out there again for the day!

TomK

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Will this be your last construction project, or are you buying more land for more housing?????:):):)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Sure looks different from when we visited with you. That must have been about 2011 or 12. Looks great!!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Don asks: "Will this be your last construction project, or are you buying more land for more housing?????:):):)"

I do have one double lot left in the back of the subdivision of 29 units. We have built and continue to operate (rent, etc.) the first 27. Might be building that out this year, just not sure at the moment. Bank says "go for it" but I need some time off. This last effort took the wind out of my sails :).

I don't do the "General Contractor thing" for anyone else, just the wife and I. She'd like to do the "flip thing", we have a house picked out and everything. Lot more risk in those efforts. New construction is easy, it's mostly scheduling and quality control. And a lot of coercing sub contractors to get your project started (and finished!). Plus I do all the financials and book keeping, which is mission critical. The wife does all the purchasing, that really helps me out.

Cheers!
Tom

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Tom
Did you received the items I sent
got a email saying they had been delivered
just wanting to check with you
thanks

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I've moved a few engines, still have another eight to transport. I try to do two every day.

Seems one can run out of room real quick. This space is 20' by 45' and I was hoping to get this stuff and four vehicles inside. Once I get thing organized I'll have a better idea of how to best use the space.

First load of engines.jpg

Cheers! TomK

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
"I've moved a few engines, still have another eight to transport. I try to do two every day.
Seems one can run out of room real quick. This space is 20' by 45' and I was hoping to get this stuff and four vehicles inside. Once I get thing organized I'll have a better idea of how to best use the space."

What a nice problem to have!!..............Looks great!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I've got some extra room in my shop for those chromed pumpkins.....Save you some work Tom.