Let the Wild Rumpus Begin!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Finally met all the requirements, both engineering and legal, and began construction on the Manshed :).

Already had footers and partial foundation in place for the 40' by 60' subteranean part of the project, and some ground work done (roughed in plumbing and water line). Am going for a partial suspended concrete top on that foundation. One half will be concrete (and a garage) and the other half will be "stick built" and have a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment constructed in that 20' by 45' section of the street level.

I had to bring the old ten foot wall back to level on one side, so we did this:
IMG_4931.JPG

Then we had to dig and pour three large "footers" that are 7' by 7' and hold up the beam that will suspend the concrete ceiling above:
IMG_4957.JPG

In the background you can see the other building I started two months ago :) :

IMG_4966.JPG

Cheers!
TomK

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Looking good Tom.
Guessing the post pads will be the cold spot in the floor heat.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I should be able to run the pex over the top of those footers, there is still 5 inches of concrete flooring that goes over the footers. I believe the posts do go directly on the pads, then we can run the mesh, the radiant heat, and the rebar before pouring the final topping. This will be the basement floor. Once we get this completed we can set up for the suspended concrete floor, which will be the ceiling to this basement area. It's a lotta concrete...

IMG_5014.JPG

Cheers!
TomK

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Sure would have been a good bunker if the whole top was concert.
You should have worked on the strips on the north wall almost scallops.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
We got the ground work to pass inspection (sewer lines, etc.) then moved to begin framing up the 6" wall that caps the basement area. Next week if weather permits we hope to begin to lay rebar and mesh then test the radiant heat tubing/manifold. Once we get six inches poured on the basement floor we can start going up :).
Down Under2.jpg
Down Under.jpg
I enjoy this part of the build!

TomK

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Hey Tom,
I saw that you called me, I think I called you by accident last night. Not sure how that happened, I guess as we say on the construction site, it was a butt call.
Anyway, your building is coming right along, looks a lot different from when we were there several years ago.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Quick update. Passed inspection and went forward with prepping for the slab. Put vapor barrier down added six inches of vertical insulation board then did the perimeter in 2 inch insulation boards. Did the interior of that with 1 inch insulation. Followed that with rebar then mesh tied together. Added the Pex (7/8" tubing) and tied that to the mesh holding it down from floating.

We got three of the six 300' rolls of tubing in place before the rains came. Only crimped one section, will repair tomorrow. Still have to air test everything. Could be a surprise there (hopefully not!). Concrete guys are pushing me to get it ready for the Big Pour later this week:).

IMG_5130.JPG

STA_5137.JPG
Cheers!
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
You bet! I marked one area where I determined the two post might be, but I didn't have the dimensions (width) on hand when we were laying the pex. Plans are to go back in the morning with the correct measurements to work around. I also plan to take several pictures of a tape measure laying across the various sections of pex. I've got quite a few areas where I will shooting fasteners into the slab and need to know where the pex is :).

Cheers!
Tom