My 409 build

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll be using an LM1 wideband on mine too. I don't have any experience with them yet, but I think we determined in another thread that it is best NOT to use them to tune the idle circuits. Best to do that with a vacuum gauge and use the wideband for part-throttle cruising and W.O.T.

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
I'll be using an LM1 wideband on mine too. I don't have any experience with them yet, but I think we determined in another thread that it is best NOT to use them to tune the idle circuits. Best to do that with a vacuum gauge and use the wideband for part-throttle cruising and W.O.T.
I used both on a 496 with 1050 dominator and the wide bands was right with the vacuum gauge.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I used both on a 496 with 1050 dominator and the wide bands was right with the vacuum gauge.
That's good news.

RE- tuning a Holley 4500: Back when I had a dominator I never could get the idle cleaned up good enough for it to run right until the engine reached 120+ degrees. It would often gas foul a set of plugs before it got warmed up. Once it was up to temp, it would burn nice and clean.......track MPH suggested that jetting was correct.

I sold it for $350 and bought a used HP950 for the same amount. The car ran the same ET/MPH with the 950 carb, but the plug fouling while cold was now fixed. Maybe if it had been a newer model with screw-in air bleeds I could have done more with it. ???

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
I had to work with mine but it's hard to say. If I had to do it all over again I would put a 950 on it...I think the throttle would be snappier.