Mystery 1959 Biscayne Project

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've been on the site, but I thought I'd start a new thread today. Some of you may already be familiar with my mystery car, but for those who don't here's the story...

Several years back a me and a buddy pulled a 1959 Biscayne out of an old cherry orchard. It had been flipped on its passenger side a few decades earlier, and most of the good stuff was missing....
But what was left was a cool old Biscayne body, a 348 4-barrel engine, three pedals and a column shifter. To us it seemed like it could have been someone's cool old hot rod, so we dragged it home.

When I started researching it, I found several clues pointing to the car possibly being an old Highway Patrol car for Oregon State.

I'd like to post the photo's that I have (Or 20 of them, since that's the limit) of the car and the engine that came out of it. I plan on digging into this car and it's history a lot more, and I hope that I can find some support from my fellow W- Motor fans!

4dd1704a-9fde-4474-9fb9-6868bf243567_zpsbaefda46.jpg

This is how it was when we found it..........

100_0308-1_zpsbd3a5a26.jpg

You can clearly see how it sank into the ground over the years.....

100_0335_zps167602f3.jpg

The engine was actually still in the car when we found it, and it was surprisingly complete!

100_0342_zps2129345f.jpg

We got it home on a U-Haul trailer. Not so easy when the car had no wheels.....

2219a50d-6021-4764-9a0f-885b5d6bb0b2_zps53f0e930.jpg

We scored a rear end out of a local junkyard to get it halfway rolling.. You can see that the paint on the roof still had some shine under all that dirt! I believe that the unique blue paint is a big clue to the cars history.

100_3643_zps2c5488c4.jpg

Intake manifold numbers

100_3645_zps54928722.jpg

Yep, that's a clutch pedal!

100_3650_zps7381ad13.jpg

The VIN Number

100_3651_zps2158828a.jpg

Date stamping on the engine block.

100_3653_zps4a281092.jpg

Cylinder Head casting numbers

100_3654_zps22d296df.jpg

Carter 4-Barrel Carb

100_3655_zps8993947f.jpg

The dashboard had been repainted many years ago, notice the original light blue can be seen underneath. Also note the odd holes drilled seemingly randomly on the top of the two left gauges. Not sure why they're there, just another piece of the puzzle!

100_3658_zps1129458a.jpg

Does anyone know if this steering wheel is correct for the car?

100_3659_zps23937081.jpg

This dark blue paint is original to the car.

100_3665_zpsaeacc156.jpg

Some cryptic chalk marks above the trans tunnel. Anyone know what they mean?

100_3666_zps1e6b7c95.jpg

More chalk marks. This one I know denotes the body code 1221 or Biscayne Business Coupe.

100_3668_zps507a26e8.jpg

More cryptic chalk marks, very hard to read. Looks like factory shorthand..... Anyone know?

100_3680_zpsbbe6234e.jpg

ID tag on the distributor.

100_3682_zpsb1549ef6.jpg

Big hole in the quarter panel where an antenna once resided?

100_3648_zpsc10c4035.jpg

And the piece that got us scratching our heads in the first place. The Trim code 808 is a mystery, and so is the Paint code SPEC. I've only seen one other tag with the same numbers, and that's the car that is said to be an ex Oregon State Highway Patrol car. Could that be what I have?

So there it is so far. I'm interested to hear everyones thoughts and ideas on this car. I'll continue to upload photos and update the story as time goes on. Thanks for looking!

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Thanks Lonnie! I will keep digging. And for those who are curious, this car was found in central Washington State. If anyone has ever heard of a 59 like this running around the Tri-Cities area (probably around 30 years ago) let me know! Thanks again!

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I bet you have an Oregon State Police car, as long as I remember all Oregon state Police cars and trucks were painted dark blue like yours, a while back there was a twin to your car on ebay all equipped with the lights , radio etc, and if I remember right the paint code said spec like your's , best of luck on your search Pat :clap

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
SPEC I think is any SPECial ordered car, usually government, like the windowed deliveries for the forestry service. There was one of those blue highway patrol cars restored and for sale recently.

Don

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I was wondering about the possibility of law enforcement when I saw the hole in the left rear fender, maybe for whip antenna.

Impala60

Well Known Member
That's a really cool find, especially if / when it turns out to be a cop car.:bow

I will definitely keep watching this thread closely and good luck to you while finding out if it was an actual cop car back in the day.

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Wow thanks for all the replies so far! What I was able to deduce from my previous thread, http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/1959-biscayne-348-4-barrel.23242/, is that this car shares a lot of common features with the restored 59 Police Interceptor that's at RK Motors in Charlotte. As DonSSDD posted above, you can watch the video of the Charlotte car, and see the side by side comparison of the cowl tags from that car (silver tag) and my car (blue tag).

Of course, no one at RK Motors can tell me anything about their car, who owned it, who restored it, or where they found it... I'd imagine they had some means of knowing that it was in fact an old Police Interceptor, but so far I haven't been able to find a list or even a reference on how to track down those cars. Also, it wasn't unheard of to have 2-Door police cars back then. Just check out quik9r's post up above, or look at this Police Brochure for 1960 featuring a Biscayne 2-Door Sedan on the cover. http://www.348-409.com/literature/60copbroc.html

The Charlotte car is believed to be a Police Interceptor like the one that was originally featured in the Dec. 1958 issue of Motor Trend in an article titled "I drove a stock Chevrolet 135MPH!" and it is even available here on this site, http://www.348-409.com/1959_policeroadtest.html for you to check out! According to the article, the brains behind those cars was Zora Arkus-Duntov. You can also go on Google and just search "Zora's Biscayne" and a few interesting things pop up too.

There are some differences between my car and the Duntov cars, most notably the engine. Judging from the fact that the passenger side door and fender had been replaced on my car, it's possible to assume that it may have spent some time in the shop or junkyard, and had possibly had its original engine and transmission removed. It was originally a 3-on-the-tree, but judging from the nice square hole in the floor, I think someone stuck a 4-speed in it at one point.

When we found the car it had been stripped of nearly everything; the transmission, the rear end, the shocks and springs, the wheels, even the fuel tank, but the engine was still there... Is it possible someone knew it was a cop car, with cop suspension and brakes and such, but they knew the engine wasn't original so they left it? Why else would they have left a complete W Motor in the engine bay and take almost everything else? Unfortunately the previous owner had passed away some years ago, so answers are not forthcoming...

I'll keep searching and I look forward to reading more of your thoughts and opinions as this thread grows. Thanks for reading!

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Thanks for your input Flathead Racing, I believe the steering wheel is another unique feature that provides a clue to my cars past. If you do a search for 1959 Biscayne steering wheels, they usually don't look like that. There is one other car that I've seen with the same steering wheel, and that's the Charlotte car.
209952_476f4387d3_low_res.jpg

100_3658_zps1129458a.jpg

Thanks again!