Picture469.jpg

Picture470.jpg

Picture478.jpg

Picture479.jpg

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
:bow Nice pictures Jim!:beerbang
Here's a couple more. I'll post more tomorow once I get some resized.

Attachments

• 2007july30 054web400.jpg
    2007july30 054web400.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 2007july30 055web400.jpg
    2007july30 055web400.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 134

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
WOW!!! Thanks for sharing the photos. I really wish I could have made it.

TomO

gearhead409

Well Known Member
JimK

thank you for getting us all together! i had a great time sat. and enjoyed meeting everyone. thanks again, loren

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What's with all the air under the front tires, thought you guys were running truck motors :roll , looks like everyone had a blast, ...If I start getting ready now maybe I'll be able to make nexy years....Great PICS:clap

Tim

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
We Made it Back!

What a great time we had at Norwalk 2007!

James Schrader and I want to thank everyone for the great hospitality and for everyone who extended us the accommodations for the two of us traveling from Columbia, Missouri. You not had a much fun as when you have to pack everything in the trunk of your old car and head down the road to some 600 plus miles to meet some friends at a race track.

We met a lot of new guys, got re-acquainted with some I’ve met only briefly, and in general learned a lot. Plus we had a great time socially.

An early rain on Friday morning cancelled most of that day’s activities. We used the time wisely to “bench race” all day long and later watch some action movies from back in the day. The weather was nice on Friday, but the track was wet as was the grassy side where the “shine & show” stuff was going on. We were on the pit side, which is now blacktopped. We did have a deluge come up around 5:00 PM Friday, right when Ray (Fatride) and Marcia were cooking up some 80 lbs.of grub. There were probably two dozen of us, including husbands and wives and kids? I'm gonna say there were maybe fifteen of us on the pit side with 409 cars, plus another half dozen or so on the "show" side of the nostalgia event. You'll undoubtedly see pics soon, in addition to the fine ones Jim K shot and posted. Jim's fine 1957 coughed up an ignition problem just as he set out to go, and he and Sue had to come by other means. We hope that all goes well in getting that resolved soon!

The Canadian Jim and Jim hosts (Phantom 409) set up video projection on the side of their giant camper, and we set up lawn chairs near the screen. We watched movies that Friday evening. Denny Ford was the narrator on most of the action, he was actually there and knew all the drivers and their cars. Cool stuff! Great fun watching 409s run back in the 60s and more recently in 1992 :) :) :).

Saturday we gathered for a fine breakfast hosted by Ray (Fatride) and Marcia after we had wiped the water from our cars. I was bummed that the bugs had been washed from the hood of the Impala, kinda my “trophy” for the guys. I think I may have been the only idiot to drive in from more that a few hundred miles.

The weather on Saturday was perfect, warm but a bit breezy so you didn't get too hot sitting in line. The Fun Races went on from 10:00 until about 4:00 PM Saturday. We had our first experience at running the 1962 Impala SS down the quarter mile. I made two passes after James took the maiden voyage in the stroker car. Despite a weak performance by the second driver (me), I had a great time. What does it mean when that little ol’ light turns GREEN :) ???

We watched movies again Saturday evening. There was a great tribute to Fred Totten. Then we saw some old time video and after that some shots from 1992. Denny Ford was the narrator on most of the action, he was actually there at a lot of these event, and knew all the drivers and their cars. Really cool stuff!

Sunday was another day of getting in those last runs and packing up and heading back. Good weather, a bit hot but breezy. James and I left around 11:30, with 640 miles to go. We stopped at the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana for a couple of hours then headed back to Columbia, MO, arriving about 1:00 AM Norwalk time. Not a bad way to cap off a round trip of some 1278 miles in the 409 car.

Again, for those of you who were there, thanks to all for having James and I and for having a great time. We had a ball and look forward to doing it again. For those of you who weren’t there, you need to go and see some spectacular guys and gals, and some pretty cool nostalgia racing as well.

Cheers!

TomK

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
thanx to all for the great pics and stories. it looks like everybody is home safely.

BTW: without de-railing this great thread,
where did richard MK IISS get off to? i miss him.

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Got home safe and sound approx.12:15AM. 435 miles later. Had great time
BS' ing with all of you gear heads.
If you missed my Friday afternoon's seminar on Bob Walla's Alunmium
heads, you missed a high light of the weekend.
The Blue Screamer tryed its best to give the people a good show.
Charlie and I had a great weekend. See you at the next race.
Allen

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Will try to post a few pictures. Hope my method of down-sizing does not blur them too much. All 3 pictures are of me and my " family".

Attachments

• 56140014.jpg
    56140014.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 123
  • 56140002.JPG
    56140002.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 56140005.JPG
    56140005.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 114

Mike-Casella

Supporting Member 1
Awesome pictures and stories!! I now know where I may be going next year. You guys look like you had a great time. :cheers

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So cool..........thanks for sharing these great pix. :clap

You don't see that every day..................a very special event. :beerbang :beerbang

Would love to come over one day and witness for my self. :D

chevytaylor

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We all had a great time at Norwalk.:beerbang
You couldn't hope to meet a finer group of people.:hug

If it wasn't for this forum I don't think any of these gatherings would have happened... Thanks Bob:beerbang
The big convention in 2004 really got things going... Thanks Phil:beerbang
And guys like Fred and Jim K. have done a great job of getting us organized for these get togethers.
Here's a few more pictures...
2007july30024web.jpg

A little rain couldn't keep Fatride from cooking up a storm.
2007july30035web.jpg

A member of Denny's crew and Winston posing in front of Phil and Candy's bikes.
2007july30037webcropped-1.jpg

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The Wully Bully cars were terrific!:beerbang They're not only extremely fast, they're also beautiful. Carl, Steven and the rest of they're crew are all great people. Unfortunatly, Steven's car developed a problem with the throw out bearing that kept him out of the races, but Carl's bubbletop was kicking butt...
2007july30084web.jpg

2007july30085web.jpg

This was a good side by side drag race.
2007july30B014web.jpg

The 409 ran in the nines to get the win.:beerbang
2007july30B039web.jpg

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Got home safe and sound approx.12:15AM. 435 miles later. Had great time
BS' ing with all of you gear heads.
If you missed my Friday afternoon's seminar on Bob Walla's Alunmium
heads, you missed a high light of the weekend.
The Blue Screamer tryed its best to give the people a good show.
Charlie and I had a great weekend. See you at the next race.
Allen[/QUOTE

Here's a photo of Allen's seminar,he explained how these 409's are running so strong.

Picture355.jpg

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I have just two photos to add. I did take several on the show side.
Robert

This is a historic ride happening here

Norwalk030.jpg

This is another photo of the group unfortunately part of Phil was "chopped" below his hat.

Norwalk051.jpg