Real 61 SS ...NOT

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
As copied from the ad
"Numbers Matching Tripower 348/280hp, Automatic, Power Steering, White Line Tires with Proper Caps and Wheels. This car has the option of Fender Skirts. This Car is a True SS"

The above statement says it all and proves the seller either doesn't know what a real 61SS was available with or is being unturthful. :dunno

The 348/280 hoursepower engine was not available in a 61 Impala SS. You're correct Pat, the car is NOT a factory built Super Sport

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
E-mail him a question asking: "Could you please e-mail me a picture of the BACK SIDE of one of the wheel covers off of one of the SS 61 Impalas?" If by some miracle the wheel cover is solid (meaning no hole where the flat plastic emblem would be on a non-SS wheelcover) then it at least has real SS caps. The 61 SS wheelcovers were different than the standard 14" wheelcover. Thanks to Tommy for the above info!!!:bow
Ross

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
sent this morning

Could you send the engine serial # and casting number as well as a pic of the inside of one of the hub caps. Thanks

*I love having fun with fools.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No reply so I though hmm I'll try another method.

The 348/280 hoursepower engine was not available in a 61 Impala SS. So maybe you are mistaken on the engine? Or?

See what programming does to you!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"Even though only 142 Impala SS with the360 horsepower 409 were made, the car was an instant hit with the press and readers of magazines like Motor Trend"

This part of the information listed on that website is not true. There were, according to information from Chevrolet, 142 cars that left the factory with 409 motors installed in 1961. The motors were available in any big car body style and there are no records to indicate how many were installed in which body style. I've stated this before but in my opinion, there were probably fewer 409's installed in the SS's than any other body style. Sure, there were some SS 409's built for the media and company exc. but outside of that, it is my thinking that the motors were mostly installed in either Bel-Air 2 dr ht's for use on the Nascar tracks in the south or in cheaper, lighter body styles for the drag race guys. These motors were aimed at the race car people and I'd bet that's where most of them went. But, that's just my opinion.

M

MK IISS

Going back to 1961 to the present time I've seen four '61 Impala SSs which I believe were genuine. All were 348s..one was a 348/340, the other three were 348/350s.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,
To give some insight to just how rare the "real SS's are, As you know, there are very knowledgable people who have only been able to document less than a dozen 61SS's as being in existance today. I'm very fortunate to own 2 of those cars. One is a 305 HP and the other was a 350 HP. The motor was gone from the second car when I purchased it, when the restoration is completed, it will be a 61SS 409. Over the past 45 years, I've looked at and owned many 61 Chevrolets, the 61 409 motor that I own (thanks to Aaron) is the only complete 61 409 motor that I have ever seen. I don't mean this to be a bragging statement, just saying how rare these things are and recognizing that the good Lord has really taken a liking to me or I wouldn't have been in the right place at the right time to have them.

M

MK IISS

Tommy: I guess I was lucky to have seen a new '61 409 engine up close in 1961. It was a crate engine that went into a '59 Impala in the summer of 1961. I can remember it well because I had it on the Sun Machine in my Uncle's service dept. The intake was unpainted, unlike some of the photos we have seen of '61 409s, and the valve covers were painted with a cheap looking no-gloss silver paint without any stinkin' green tint.

I betcha most '61 409s were transplants. Don Nicholson's and Dave Strickler's famous 61s were factory built with 348s.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,
I hope to get my motor out of the shop this fall, when I do, the first thing will be to paint it and I'll be getting with you about some of the things that you remember about them.
The auction for the car that started this thread ended on Ebay at $26,101. This tells me that people are more knowledgable about them that we give them credit for. The bidders figured it out cause that's about what the car should bring if it was listed as an Impala. It would be very interesting to see an undisputed true 61 SS with factory documentation sold. I have never seen one sold on ebay or anywhere else that I felt was a real SS so I have no idea what they may be worth.
:dunno

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Real61...what kind of factory documentation do your cars have ??? Were you able to find the buildsheet ? If so, where in the car were they found ?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
4onthefloor,
No, I don't have a build sheet. We tore the car apart looking for it but it wasn't there. The car was sold new at the Chevrolet dealer here in my home town (they are still here but under a new ownership). I purchased the car from the original owner, (the only owner) who had the present of mind to save every peice of paper work that was given him at the time of sale. Bill of sale, finance papers, warranty papers, battery warranty and the check off sheet that the service rep. filled out when he test drove it the day of sale. This sheet is very interesting as it lists the motor, transmission, rear and key numbers. He gave me two sets of original keys, each set has the the number stamped in that matches this sheet. He lives near me and keeps in touch, he parked the car in his shed in 1984 and it set there until he agreed to let me have it in 1996. He had new seat covers installed in the early seventies and we think that's when the build sheet (if there ever was one) got away.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Very cool...I just picked up an 8700 original mile 409 64 Belair that had plastic seat covers on it...no buildsheet..I too believe they tossed it when they put the covers on...BTW...when I put together my 61 way back in the mid 60's I met a guy in Minnesota named Ken T...very good guy who had a real SS...If I recall it was in Terry Boyces Super Sport book...maroon with grey interior if I remember right.the pic in the book showed it up on blocks..haven't talked to him in a while...

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I remember seeing the picture of the 61SS up on blocks, your 64 sounds really neat. I think just as many build sheets probably got stuffed in the trash as were put in the cars. I've found them in Chevelles that I restored but I've never found one in a 61. Not saying some 61's didn't have'm, I just haven't been lucky enough to find one.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tommy, I have never seen a build sheet from a pre-64 Chevy. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually found one. The 65 and ups are fairly common, but I wonder if they used build sheets in the older cars. I hear stories, but have never seen one. If any of you guys have documentation please comment.

bobs409

Administrator
Here's a 63 sheet from out Misc photo page:

misc86.jpg