Rear tire sizing

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
What is everyone running for rear wheel combos? I just bought a set of 15x8 rally's with 4.25" bs, for my 63. If I recall on my old 61, i was able to easily fit 275/60/15's under it. What do you run?

Last edited:
Reactions: 327

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I run bfg's 255 60/15 all the way around on Corvette 8 inch rallys of course no problem. I could go bigger as you mention , but I don't like fighting getting the left rear tire off when axle is hanging. I had for a while 23570/15 and was a nuisance on the left rear getting off. With the bfg size it is no problem on left rear. I do have the axle centered with adjustable pan hard bar.

4Eyedturd

Well Known Member
315/35/17 on a 10.5” wheel. It fits but I’m not sure how much rubbing is gonna happen. I may send them off and get narrowed .5” or more if need be.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm kinda in line with Skip here, 275/60 on an 8" wheel works barely on my 61 if the backspacing is perfect. but there are a few other variables:

I have a 9" Ford rear end and I never verified that is exactly the same width as the rear end it replaced.

There can be a discrepancy in the actual sidewall width and tread width on 275 tires, especially when you get into the various street/strip types. Hoosiers, M/Ts, M&H are all a little different.

The 255 tires are not as common, but a lot easier to get on and off.