"The" Homewrecker

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I remember reading articles about alternator kill switches. It seems like it was more popular back in the old days.
I know two or three horsepower isn't much but it's something.
It makes you wonder though,,, is it possible that the lower voltage to the coil might cause a weaker spark and erase the potential gains.

I know that some racers run without any charging system whatsoever. They just charge the battery between rounds.
I think some of them are using lightweight 16 volt batteries.

My Super Shifters buddy uses no alts and 16 volt batterys in his 10 and 8 second cars.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
In the 124 range.

I love having the alternator. Ran Friday night through Sunday afternoon and don't even bring a charger to the track. Even if it robbed 10 hp I would still leave it on and functioning whenever the engine was running. I just like the convenience and not having to worry about it.

Me too, I love my alternator. :D

I'm guessing a relatively light alternator might be about 6 to 8 lbs.
Then you've got the belt, pulleys, brackets and the wire going all the way back to the cut off switch, if you have a rear mounted battery.
That would probably add up to another 6 or 8 lbs.
So lets say about 15 lbs total. :scratch

Out of curiosity, I ran the numbers through a calculator on the Wallace racing site.
If you took a 3500 lb. car that runs 10.50 and removed 15 lbs. it suggests you'd run 10.48
http://www.wallaceracing.com/wt-correction-et.php
Then moving along to another calculator, if you took the 10.48 and added two horsepower by not having the alternator drag, you'd be at about 10.47
http://www.wallaceracing.com/hp-correction-et.php

I'm sure some guys would say the .03 reduction in et is worth the trouble but I'm pretty lazy, so I'm sticking with my alternator. :D

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm sure some guys would say the .03 reduction in et is worth the trouble but I'm pretty lazy, so I'm sticking with my alternator. :D
I know I'm one of the ones that was talking about using a toggle switch to cut it off, but like you and Dan said I like having an alternator and am not likely to ever try a "kill" switch on it. Out of the .03 potential gain the calculator suggests, the weight would still be there if using a switch so that drops the potential reduction down to .01. Even the whole .03 doesn't sound worth the trouble to me either, but like I said earlier - tell that to the guy who just missed his ET goal (or lost a race) by that much. Personally outside of an occasional grudge race, I don't care if I win or not.....I just want to get out there and have fun.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Yep it is a small amount but i guess every little bit helps
To spin a non producing alternator as un like a generator no permanent magnets involved so the loading is frictional only
at 100Amps x 14.5 Volts that is 1450Watts which is around 1.9HP in a perfect world
Add in the efficiency losses and figure around 3HP
For the real world pretty much double that as the alternator heats up the efficiency decreases to the point of almost double extra mechanical loading to produce the same output
We did an experiment here at work with 2.2KW electric motor doing 2800RPM on an alternator and at 80 amps load on the alternator the electric motor was running in an overloaded state
As the temp of the alternator increased the motor current also increased

Steve
I know I do not understand electricity at all. I was just imagining as I read your post and how hard it is for me to understand it............what it would have been like to have you here to TELL me this in person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know.....you have "an accent"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I know I do not understand electricity at all. I was just imagining as I read your post and how hard it is for me to understand it............what it would have been like to have you here to TELL me this in person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know.....you have "an accent"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It wouldn't matter if Steve "drew you a picture",Phil!:poke.Electricity isn't hard,but it does tend to be lazy.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
It wouldn't matter if Steve "drew you a picture",Phil!:poke.Electricity isn't hard,but it does tend to be lazy.

Also for something you cant see, it bites real bad:crazy why do you think i got an accent

Funny that i only found out i had an accent after visiting the USA, no one over here told me, maybe they felt sorry for me talking this way

I guess i should understand, its the same way i felt when i met Martin:roll

Steve

Dr Richard Kimble

Well Known Member
In the 124 range.

with the same et , a clutch pedal car will usually have a couple mph over an automatic ( I KNOW you knew that! ) .
if you're not lifting the go pedal anytime during the run , and your rolling resistance / weight is optimum and consistent ,
I think even getting into 10.60's , would require a major change ( more hp , or less weight )

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Also for something you cant see, it bites real bad:crazy why do you think i got an accent

Funny that i only found out i had an accent after visiting the USA, no one over here told me, maybe they felt sorry for me talking this way

I guess i should understand, its the same way i felt when i met Martin:roll

Steve
Just wait til you meet me Steve. I think I might have Martin beat. :laugh I bet Dave (Iowa 409 Guy) heard a bunch that were even worse when he came down here recently.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Just wait til you meet me Steve. I think I might have Martin beat. :laugh I bet Dave (Iowa 409 Guy) heard a bunch that were even worse when he came down here recently.

Im sure i will be able to understand you Jason,:)
I was at an Air Show at Winston Salem NC before we started to make out way to great bend in the RV,
I was there with my dad Colin and we were talking the a Police Officer about his bike (was part of sheriffs office which is another story)
The bike was the latest Kawasaki 1400, it hag a shot gun and other firearms on board, pretty amazing
Anyway i heard this voice say (you will have to forgive me as a really back woods accent doesnt come out well when not audio) "I herd bout dem dere bikes but i aint dun neere seen one":scratch:crazy:eek1:hide
I turned to Colin (Dad) and thought some one was taking the piss out of us.
But it was a guy who i recon could have been in the movie deliverance, i only really thought this sort of accent was on TV
We learned a lot in our 6 weeks
But not enough as we are planning another trip

Steve