"The" Homewrecker

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
with the same et , a clutch pedal car will usually have a couple mph over an automatic ( I KNOW you knew that! ) .
if you're not lifting the go pedal anytime during the run , and your rolling resistance / weight is optimum and consistent ,
I think even getting into 10.60's , would require a major change ( more hp , or less weight )

Well, in a pm you said the car would go slower with the new pistons and that didn't happen. Without playing with timing, jetting, or anything else engine related it went 10.70 in crap air. Now it won't go 10.60s. You are batting .500 and heading for zero.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think even getting into 10.60's , would require a major change ( more hp , or less weight )

Yep, more horsepower. :beer
The Homewrecker ran 10.70 with a density altitude reading of 3,500 ft.
On a cool day with low humidity and high barometric pressure, the DA could be at 1,000 ft. or less.
I think the engine could be making about 50hp more at 1,000 ft. than it was at 3,500 ft.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/braking-hp.php

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You are right Jim, weather plays a big part. Everyone in our club was 2-3 tenths off that weekend with the cars capable of mid 8s being off the most. The good doctor wasn't talking about weather or tuning related changes though and he knows it.

Dr Richard Kimble

Well Known Member
if things were different , they wouldn't be the same:hide
same air? It won't do it .
obviously , good air is going to give you the hp needed.
equally obvious , it's a damn good car !
though I maintain my stand on the pistons;)

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
More HP gets it done. Better air? More HP. More compression? More HP. More HP More HP More HP! I too think if the air was cooler and much better for making power, the car DOES go faster. Wisconsin has been in a patch of hot/humid air for awhile. Summer in the midwest. Big deal. If the car is running good, in cool air...I think it gets it done. :burnout

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
10.70's this time of year should easily equal 10.50's in the fall. 10.70's the first time out with a new combination will most likely drop some more with tuning even in the same conditions. I predict you'll be well under 10.50 before the end of September.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
if things were different , they wouldn't be the same:hide
same air? It won't do it .
obviously , good air is going to give you the hp needed.
equally obvious , it's a damn good car !
though I maintain my stand on the pistons;)
So you state that a major change would be needed to go from a 10.70 to 10.60s, then proceed to state that any change such as weather would qualify. Of course if everything is the same the car will run the same. So where were you going with your post? You you either felt the need to post the painfully obvious or now you are back peddling because you realize the car as built is very capable of running 10.60s or better. As for the piston design, I agree friction losses are greater but they do not cancel out the gain from the added compression. You stated in your pm the car would be slower. It is not. How you can still claim you are right on that is beyond me.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Went back a few pages and never found what comment made about the pistons. Maybe, just maybe, the good Dr. meant that once you have maximized a tune and the car runs it best,, gaining another .1 takes a substantial change in hp . The experts claim one point of c.r. can be worth 15 to 25 hp. I tend to believe 10 hp is closer to the real number. Will 30 hp deliver .1 gain in performance? I don't think so but these are just opinions. But what difference does it make? When buying pistons for a race engine, I want all the c.r. I can get.. Is that right or wrong? Who knows? That is what makes this sport so much fun. We build using opinions we have formed and then go out and have fun, always hoping for a fast car. Could we have done better? Monday morning quarterbacking is easy.
We all know good air compared to bad air can be a .2 change.. I would bet what little cash I have that Dan's car will run 10.50s in good air,,,, but Dan ain't gonna be satisfied with 10.50s,,, he will do what we all do and make changes in the future looking for 10.40s. Its our passion and we love the challenge.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The piston comments were sent to me in a pm. And you are right Ronnie, it's all about the challenge!

Dr Richard Kimble

Well Known Member
Dan , no disrespect meant in my comments , on here , or pm .
my thinking was simply that the increased compression ratio , was going to be offset ( no pun intended ) by side loading into the cylinder wall .

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Went back a few pages and never found what comment made about the pistons. Maybe, just maybe, the good Dr. meant that once you have maximized a tune and the car runs it best,, gaining another .1 takes a substantial change in hp . The experts claim one point of c.r. can be worth 15 to 25 hp. I tend to believe 10 hp is closer to the real number. Will 30 hp deliver .1 gain in performance? I don't think so but these are just opinions. But what difference does it make? When buying pistons for a race engine, I want all the c.r. I can get.. Is that right or wrong? Who knows? That is what makes this sport so much fun. We build using opinions we have formed and then go out and have fun, always hoping for a fast car. Could we have done better? Monday morning quarterbacking is easy.
We all know good air compared to bad air can be a .2 change.. I would bet what little cash I have that Dan's car will run 10.50s in good air,,,, but Dan ain't gonna be satisfied with 10.50s,,, he will do what we all do and make changes in the future looking for 10.40s. Its our passion and we love the challenge.

Really like your comments Ronnie,
The only real racing i have done in the past was in my 56 belair.
I got it as fast as i could go with what i had and thought more HP was what i needed
Got more HP then went backwards with traction, ended up slower than i was with less HP,
i love the game (trying to go faster on a budget) and the solutions people on here come up with
Cant wait to be asking all those dumb questions that all you guys have already forgot about when i get the 61 going

Steve