Travis & Floyd Horton 409 engine!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Just got back from spending part of the afternoon at Tony Shaffer's...Day Automotive. He had Travis and Floyd's 409 assembled and on the dyno.......WOW!!!!:D :D :D

Can't say here yet as Travis and Floyd don't get to come up until tomorrow but the results ARE AWESOME!!!!:deal :deal

AND THIS IS A SINGLE HOLLEY CARB ENGINE!!!!!!:D :D

More later!!!!

Attachments

• hortondyno1.jpg
    hortondyno1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 467

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Dyno Driver!!!!!

Here's Tony at the controls.......no steering wheel here........just a GO HANDLE ON THE THROTTLE!!!!!:D :D :D

Attachments

• hortondyno3.jpg
    hortondyno3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 445

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
LOOOKKKKIIIIEEEEEEEEEE

Phil, what are the headers????????? They look good. As a fact, it all looks good.

Fred

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
headers

Fred:

I think Tony said they are Hookers. But Travis should be on site sometime and he can fill you in. They do look good!!

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Headers

Didn't look like they would loop over the frame from the picture. That was why I was asking. Don't want to cut on a good inner fender. Looked to long and hard to find the right side one. Found it in a salvage yard that was right out of the movie deliverance. Was sure a shakey looking crew running it. Didn't want to turn your back.
The only way I would consider cutting an inner liner, is if I found a good set of through the liner headers. Those I would consider. Had them on my original car. Thought Jardine made them, but when Dean went west in 67 and went to work at Jardines, found out they weren't Jerry's type. So, have no idea who made them.

Fred

bubbletop61

Well Known Member
Thats a great looking engine guys. Forgive me for showing my ignorance...yup, here comes the stupid question! What are the
parts on top of the valave covers? Breathers of some sort I'd guess but????
Thanks
Gar

Travis Horton

Well Known Member
They are breathers on the valve covers. The headers are Hooker's and the car is race only and doesn't have the inner fenders installed. They're in dad's bubble top 409 car. The headers are a pretty decent fit. Tony did a great job cosmetically and I can't wait to see and HEAR it tomorrow! I know he did a great job mechanically even if it only made 300hp! We'll post numbers Thursday: Horsepower, torque, and the number of beers Tony can slam during a dyno pull.

Travis Horton

Well Known Member
I forgot a few details. It has an MSD distibutor, 830 Holley, Stef's aluminum oil pan, Isky solid flat tappet cam (top secret specs!), 2.25 x 1.72 valves, Tony-modified SINGLE four intake, and 12 to 1 compression. And ARP bolts everywhere.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Travis
Nice combination..........is it still 409 cid?
Good size valves, any trouble taking the heads out that far?

A Holley on a reworked intake is the best setup if you relly want to make power. I believe Car Craft tested some intakes last year and a single Holley beat out or matched some tunnel rams.

BJ:cheers

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Travis, Great looking engine !!!! I bet the numbers are very impressive !! Can`t wait !!

About the headers,,,,,, does the passenger side loop the frame?
And are they a production header,,,,,,, Thanks,,dq

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
a teaser!!!!

See Tony at the controls?????

Wanna closer look????? Betcha' do!!!!!!!

Later..........:D :D :D :D

nah, Phil... I don't have much interest in that...

Don't you have some pics of NOS weatherstripping or something ?

COME ON MAN....... YOU'RE KILLING ME :cuss ;)

P L E E E E Z E !!!

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Fred I had a set of fender well dump headers on my 63. They were M/T (Mickey Thompson) headers. They had 32in. long pipes in to a 6in. collector. I think they were 1 7/8 dia. tubes. Worked very well, wish I could get a set now.
QS409

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
what's the delay????

Come on Travis...don't keep Aubrey in suspenders any longer!!!!! He is about to hyper-ventilate!!!!!!:deal :deal :deal

DYNO NUMBERS!!!!!!!

Travis Horton

Well Known Member
The headers are 1 7/8" and the tube goes outside the frame rail. The engine is 482 ci. Does anyone want to know the numbers? No?

536 hp at 5800 and, get this, 555 lb/ft at 4500! Too bad they don't make a single plane for this sucker! By the way, it is still making 530 hp at 6300. Tony and the boys at Day Automotive did a great job. Maybe next winter we'll try a roller cam and later dual fours. Thanks for the interest, everyone!