Travis & Floyd Horton 409 engine!!!!

Travis Horton

Well Known Member
The 406 sbc that was in the car ran a best of 10.85 at 124mph. That engine was never on a dyno but a computer dyno predicted 543hp at 6700rpm and 500 lb/ft at 5050rpm. I see 10.70 potential with the wicked torque curve. Provided I can hook it up on the 9x30 slicks! I was very surprised and pleased with the spread between the hp and torque peaks and also 550+ torque. I would like to work with Tony on this combination (single four) to see just how quick we could go before changing to one of his and Donnie's "patented" mini-rams. I'm sure there are a few people not impressed with these numbers but they need to look at the sharp angles everywhere inside the intake and leading into the intake port. Right angles aren't conducive to flow! Glad everyone seems to enjoy this torque pig.
ps Don't send your stuff to Tony. We got dibs!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Torque pig.

This whole setup, using W engine components makes me very optimistic that I can squeeze a true 400 hp out of my .030 409 with the 348 heads.
:cheers

536 @ 5800 and NOT impressed?. Not anyone who has BUILT motors!. Especially with that intake!. The carb may be a bit small too. I run a 460 @ about the same RPM with a 750 DP set up by Bill Mitchell. I thought it was "laying down" at about 1000 and called them to ask about a 850. They told me 850 too big and WOULDN'T SELL ME ONE!. Well, they would but didn't recommend it. The had a "conversion" deal where they put my 750 top on an 850 bottom and built it to 870. Didn't do it should have. A GOOD 830 may work, but with a better intake and another 5-600 RPM I'd think about something a little larger.

Considering it's a W, and a stinky intake, and only turning 5800, I'm impressed, but then I've built a few motors in my time. That said.
Stock 2x4 intake, mill out dividers, two 625 Carters sitting on 1/2" WOOD spacers. Remove the chokes and horns. Re-po stock black 62' air cleaner, 1/2 " holes drilled around the perimeter 1/2" apart. Pull the pleating from the element, leave the screen. Dump the VC with those breathers, change to ones without breathers or 2 small 90 degree (less obvious), paint them the correct silvergreen with decals. Make it look as stock as possible. Put the fenderwells back in. Gain a little HP, lose a little torque, look a lot more stock and fool the "unknowing".

Anyway you do it your gonna have fun!.

M

MK IISS

Fran: You don't have to drill holes in the snorkle ring. Just pop the spot welds that hold the ring to the base plate and you have an open element air cleaner. Later you can put it back together if you want to. I've seen a lot of air cleaners at swap meets with holes drilled in them, never understood why unless not all the 2X4 bbl. units are made like my '63.

Richard

Richard: I like your idea much better, if it's spot welded. If it's crimped then my way may work better. Plus with the holes it still looks stock. My object was to get more air in, if not the most, and still LOOK stock. Someone should make the base plate as you describe, but with the larger late carb base opening, and a lid. For some one who wants to put late (READ CHEAP!) 625 Carters on a stock manifold. Those "correct" carbs are getting a bit pricey!.

62Belair409

Well Known Member
Travis

I guess we did quite well building "Shaffer W-Specials". Hopefully We'll get to meet at the convention, would love to see your ride. GReat numbers and pics.

Dave;)