1969 Custom 30 Tow Truck restoration

bobs409

Administrator
Well, I finally made it to visit the original owner with the tow truck today. I pulled it right up to the front door and it sure looked GREAT! (if I do say so myself!)

Got to meet Vic and his brother. I didn't know he had a brother but had a great conversation with him especially. He told me he was the one that mostly operated the truck back in the day. We talked at least 1/2 hour out in the cold looking the truck over and he was blown away at how nice it looked.

He complimented me on my paint job especially and must have done so at least 20 times. (ok, maybe 10 or so) That's a great compliment coming from a body shop guy!

He told me he heard someone bought it and was restoring it which caught me off guard. I told him I wasn't sure if they would appreciate me bringing it back and didn't know what to expect but he said he was glad I did.

It was an interesting meeting. Turns out that after going out of business and closing up shop 3 years ago, they re-opened about a year later so they had something to do instead of just sitting around the house.

They don't do any major work anymore, just brakes and towing, etc. Vic is in his 80's and the brother looks a few years younger.

Told me it was a really great truck in it's day and it worked very hard. Said they hauled/towed some heavy trucks with it and it always ran great. He said that's back when they only had this truck and before they bought the larger wrecker & flat bed they had. He also mentioned it always liked it's gas and I said it still does! lol

He looked it over really good and asked many question. He seems to think the wheels were originally glossier than I have them so I will have to look into that. I used a semi gloss black. I told him I tried to make the truck look like it would have when it was new and he said that it did. I was glad to hear that because I never saw it in it's younger days.

So before I left, I handed him an 8 X 10 collage print for their shop that I had made up from 4 pics of the truck showing front, back, engine and interior.

I bet we'll be the talk of the shop for a few days at least. LOL

This is the first time I ever contacted a previous owner of any of my cars. Wasn't sure if I was going to get shot, chased or welcomed. Glad things turned out so well...

Was a beautiful day so with some fresh premium in it's tank I put 76 miles on it. I went through some of the small towns around Vic's shop and thought how this truck surely must have traveled those roads back in it's hey-day. If only it could talk... ;)

DSCN1928__1384548940_71_161_240_155.jpg

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,
You did a killer job on that truck! It looks fantastic! I bet those guy's really got a kick outa seeing it all fresh and shiney !

Randy

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Bob: My hat is off to you !!!! That wrecker looks as good as any we will see anywhere.
For the amount of work that was involved, you got thru it pretty darn good !
Great job.
Ken

bobs409

Administrator
I contacted the grandson of the Wreck-Master company owner as per contact info given to me by a member of the 67-72Chevy truck forum and learned alot about these wrecker bodies. (big thank you to dfwright for doing that!)

I sent an email and asked things like what my model (410) sold for, what options were available, if they went out and installed these or did the trucks always come to them, info on literature and lighting. Another thing that always puzzled me was the fact that my truck has a big metal block on the back instead of rubber slings.

First, I was told my truck seems to have the larger (810) series commercial tow bar. (that's the big metal block as I was calling it) lol

The 410 model came with rubber slings for passenger cars but for some reason, mine got the one for large trucks. ??? I can't understand why a small body shop would want that and if I ever get back to Vic's, it will be one of the first questions I'll have for them. Vic's brother did mention towing some big heavy trucks so maybe this little tow truck did haul a few rigs. That would have been a sight to see.

I was told they did have manuals and brochures with these and they were printed on a printing press in their own basement! He wasn't able to help me obtain any old copies however, all long gone now.

The 410 model I have sold for around $3,000 with very few options. Was told basically only side tool doors and forward doors to fit stabalizer jacks which very few were sold.
You could get the whole package, lights, matching paint, striping, lettering, even two way radio equipment if you needed it, all done at their factory if you wanted or some went out the door plain with only temporary tail lights so the owner or dealer could finish them.

I was also told that they either did them in their factory where the truck was brought to them or they would be delivered to dealers and done there. Some were actually fully completed tow trucks that the dealer sold on their lot! I never knew that one. Not sure how mine came to be but that's another question I'll have ready to go.

The Wreck-Master company was sold a few times since the grandfather got out of the business and later it folded up. The factory is long gone now.

The grandson told me he worked there assembling the rubber slings at age 8! How cool is that? He opted not to take over the business at around age 25.

So after 3 years of searching for info on the Wreck-Master unit and hitting dead ends, I finally have some answers to many of my questions.

Just think, buy a cab/chassis in 1969 for around $3,000 and add a Wreck-Master body for another $3,000 and you have yourself a brand new tow truck for 6K! Try doing that today.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,thanks for sharing such an incredible story of this truck and thru the restoration.You had truely completed a project that was really hard,really worth doing,a truck that had some really hard history and to bring it back from the crusher to its present condition is amazing.I know you have made the original owners day,probably week to see his vehicle that was so close to his heart,that made him a living for so many years ,and you definetly should be commended for that. Well done Bob!!! The truck is beautiful!!!:clap:clap:clap

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would be so proud if one day when I'm gone someone will give at least 1/3 the attention to my old car that you give that truck Bob.

bobs409

Administrator
Thank you guys. I did it all to do my part in preserving a bit of history. Many people thought I was crazy. :D

The old tow truck will live a comfortable life now, it did it's tour of duty.

It wasn't always easy to remember to snap a pic of this and that along the way but sure glad I documented it all. I plan on reading it myself from page 1 to re-live the experience.

All that's left to do is to put together a before/after photo collage of some of the highlights and add it to this post.

Thanks to all who took the time to read this novel. ;)

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob,
You should put the lettering back on the doors and put it on Barret Jackson. Those hi rollers with big car collections would try to outbid each other to get it.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think Cecil is right. That is an amazing job and a very unique vehicle. I'm not sure you could part with it, but it couldn't hurt to test the water???

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
If you test the water at Barret Jackson you may need to keep the deed to your house available !!

bobs409

Administrator
Yeah, I have no idea what the value would be other than what I have into it. Then, who would want to buy something like this? I often thought of that while building it but didn't let it stop me.

If no one wants it, I'll take it with me when I go! :D

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Loved the story Bob. Going back to show it to them was cool as well.
Next cruise night you should charge guys $15 a shot to hook up their car for a photo.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Great job Bob. I applaud you for taking the time to look the former owners and wrecker folks up. Most of us would only think about doing that. :p

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Loved the story Bob. Going back to show it to them was cool as well.
Next cruise night you should charge guys $15 a shot to hook up their car for a photo.

I was gonna say Fords are free, but you'd probably be too busy...........................:D

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Congrats Bob..........that truck is just plain cool.............:cool:
Can't wait to see it at Great Bend........:love.......ah Bob,
you are going this time .......RIGHT!......what if some of us need a tow...:rub

:cheers
bj