1969 Custom 30 Tow Truck restoration

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
Beautiful job on the truck. You should consider joining AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America) and taking the truck to Hershey next year. They have a class for commerical vehicles, you would do good I'm sure.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I just went back to the opening post for a before and after. What a difference! It looks like brand new now. Way to go! :beer

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I just guessed a bit, probably worth more. I have no idea what it's really worth but 10K is a good start for now.

Bob , Great news on the truck . All that hard work looks fantastic. Best of luck with it. When I called Grundy to insure my '57. I sent them the 4 angle pictures and the interior picture and told them I thought the car was worth $30,000 as it stood and they agreed on the value. They told me as I progress on the build and feel the car is worth more to give them a call and new pictures of the added work they would work with me on the new value of the car. With grundy $30,000 cost me $235.00 a year. The 1957 New York plates were accepted within a few days. Those plates costs me $53.25 a year with a yearly registration .These plates were the 1st plates that went on the car when it was new.

:crazy:dance:cheers

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Butch that sounds like a good price on a modified car !!!
Ken

Ken , I was surprised that they agreed on the price so quickly . I sent pictures of the engine and the interior with the '65 GTO buckets and the ' 66 Chevelle SS console. to them also.
Bob I am sorry I pirated your post here.

Again your truck is awesome !!!:clap
:crazy:dance:cheers

bobs409

Administrator
I'm bummed. The right blinker doesn't cancel! Guess I'll have to start over. :D

Just got back from 2 rides with it. Sure feels like a commercial truck! It has that bounce to it. (I'm not used to leaf springs so that may be causing that) Reminds me of the box truck I rented to bring my lift home. :D

A few bugs to work out. Clutch seems to need a slight adjustment, manifolds may need to retorqued (got a little louder from this morning) and I have a brake hanging up in the rear.

It is cool to drive though. Other drivers seem to respect it more than my other vehicles. Nobody dares to ride the center line with my front bumper! :eek

Not visiting anyone yet until I log a few more miles, maybe next week.

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks guys. I got 50 miles on it yesterday and didn't have to call a tow truck to get home. :D (wouldn't that be the ultimate embarrasment?)

Lucky for me it's not my daily driver as it does seem to like it's gas but I expected that with what this thing must weigh.

Fun to drive though! :crazy

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks guys. I got 50 miles on it yesterday and didn't have to call a tow truck to get home. :D (wouldn't that be the ultimate embarrasment?)

Lucky for me it's not my daily driver as it does seem to like it's gas but I expected that with what this thing must weigh.

Fun to drive though! :crazy

If you wanted gas mileage you would have purchased a Bus pass. Great restoration of a non tradiional vehicle makes it ever more of a challenge. :clap Super Job!

Quik9r

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
nice truck , but aren't you scared to use it for the first scratch to come in??????
:eek:eek:eek

bobs409

Administrator
Oh it's had plenty of boo boos already! Why is fresh paint such a magnet for chips and scratches?

The nice thing is it's a solid color so very easy to fix. Just fill the damaged area with paint, wetsand using a hard block and buff out. I've made a few of these repairs already. Can't even tell where they were now. :deal