Front and rear bumpers

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm going with repro for now but I am saving my old ones to hopefully have re-chromed some day. :pray
That is a waste of good eBay money and not safe in my opinion Bob. I'll almost bet "they" do not put on copper as the first coat. The copper sticks to the steel and is there for the chrome to stick too. Check out "triple chrome plating". You need the copper for longevity. And the metal thickness is not OEM. Just my stupid opinion!!! I'm just trying to save your money so you can pay more eBay fees and gas taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That is a waste of good eBay money and not safe in my opinion Bob. I'll almost bet "they" do not put on copper as the first coat. The copper sticks to the steel and is there for the chrome to stick too. Check out "triple chrome plating". You need the copper for longevity. And the metal thickness is not OEM. Just my stupid opinion!!! I'm just trying to save your money so you can pay more eBay fees and gas taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:yup

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Problem
You guys pay too much for chroming. For years I thought we were screwed in Calif with all the regulations but our costs are much less probably because there's a chrome shop every other block around here, competition is a good thing.
that comes along with chroming is that by the time you pay shipping both ways even a "good deal" becomes not much different then paying locally. For example if you get stuck paying $100 each way for shipping and $300 for the chroming it still isn't any better then $500 local and at least not having to deal with someone switching or losing your parts. Here is a link to a video that does a nice job showing the process. http://www.thefinishingtouchinc.com/?page_id=387

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, repro bumpers are out then. Now to find "the place" to send them to. :read :help2

BTW, I was hoping not to have to use this smilie for a long time but this me the past few days: :sick2

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, We've gotten a few bumpers from Tri-City Plating , Elizabethton, Tn. www.tricityplating.com He is always at Spring and Fall Carlisle, pick up there saves shipping. He will rechrome your bumpers or exchange yours for sets he already has done. Nice work and lifetime warranty. The last price we got for '63 bumpers was last year- $880.00 for both front and rear. That is to rechrome yours or exchange. $1020.00 without exchange. Nice thing is you can look them over before you buy.

bobs409

Administrator
I've been doing a search on the net and found that there are literally a million places that chrome plate! And all of them say they are the best too! Oh, this is gonna be fun. :bang

This is why I was thinking of going repro, just dreaded the searching and gambling on who to do the work.

Wouldn't it be nice if the parts vendors just stocked beautiful restored bumpers you could buy as easily as the Chinese ones?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've been doing a search on the net and found that there are literally a million places that chrome plate! And all of them say they are the best too! Oh, this is gonna be fun. :bang

This is why I was thinking of going repro, just dreaded the searching and gambling on who to do the work.

Wouldn't it be nice if the parts vendors just stocked beautiful restored bumpers you could buy as easily as the Chinese ones?

A million places; that's why you can't go by that. Of course they are all the best. You have to go by word of mouth recommendations. Listen to someone who has been there and done that. Not sure where you are in NE PA, but you might want to consider Sandys Bumpers also. Is it worth the trip to Syracuse?? Even sending them is a shorter distance then most. I don't think you'll be disappointed. After reading all these threads, I'm definitely going to get my originals rechromed and will with all probability, will use Sandys. As a suggestion, you might also want to find out from them when they are coming to Middletown, NY, to make a pickup and deliver. Might be a shorter driving distance for you then going to Syracuse, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sorry you are down State, Rochester/Syracuse are Upstate NY:taunt

Actually, we seem to becoming a suburb of NYC. Like a bedroom community with a little travelling distance. Regardless, it is cold. 4 degrees this a.m. Even worse I the Adirondack's. Don't think I'll venture too far north anytime soon, Carmine.

Geary Trussell

Well Known Member
Always reuse original parts if possible. Sorry to say its a crap shoot on repo parts. Advanced Plating in Nashville is the best, their lead times are long and they are not cheap but you will have no regrets.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

I would not recomendation exchanging your original bumpers for who knows what. Rechrome your originals.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I think Carmine should hurry up and have a bumper done so I can see if they are good enough for my car. :D

I'm all for that except its convincing the treasury dept. (wife) that we should be doing the bumpers now. My '56 wagon bumper that I had rechromed 4-5 yrs. ago, still looks great. If I can get to the car in the garage, I'll take a pic of the bumper and post it, Carmine.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That's what I've heard too. Explain to the Treasury Dept that prices are going to go WAY up and that you will be SAVING $$$ to do it now.

Tex63

Well Known Member
Shipping cost makes re-chrome a tough pill to take, try to find a local guy to go with, and be careful price comparing - make sure both are triple chrome finished. I just had mine done, but also added all of the interior garnish at the same time and didn't get an itemized cost. Seeing the bumpers in the sun I would only have regret if I had gone another direction.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Below are 3 pics I took this afternoon on my '56 gasser. I know they aren't the best. I tried to show the rear bumper but its not that good. Also threw in 2 pics of the engine. Had 1 of the interior but it was too dark. Will have to wait for better conditions and try it again, Carmine.
2.15-1.JPG 2.15-2.JPG
2.15-3.JPG