Front and rear bumpers

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Ok, I contacted him tonight. He said fiberglass bumpers are $350-$500 each, it depends on the condition when he starts. He does still do steel bumpers occasionally, he would look at them to give an exact figure. He is higher than the other "specialty bumper" plating shops, but his work is worth it. He has done work for Harley Davidson factory, and lots of other top quality stuff. He even did fiberglass bumpers for a car in a movie. Check him out on the web, www.alternativechrome.com
Steven
Hey,was wondering if you could share your experiance as to how the plating lasts on the fiberglass bumpers.....thank you in advance.

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
chrome has been a pretty hot topic in the group of guys I hang around with lately. I think what we have been seeing is most of the older craftsmen are not around anymore and the next generation does not have the skill or the patience or even care about doing quality work. I have heard and seen good things about pauls chrome in Pennsylvania, not the cheapest but he stands behind his work, if you don't like something he will redo on his dime.
every car that comes in my shop lately the chrome is the first thing I check out..and most I have seen is not very nice.

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Are those your cores refinished?.....if so,very impressive

:+1:yup

For the price they charged you and the work they did, I'd be tempted to ship mine to them if I were having some done.

Yes, they straightened my original cores. I was amazed because it appeared that our dad must have backed in to most of his parking spaces and he did so by 'touch'. The rear bumper was quite beaten up.

The shop that did the work is Metro Plating in Mesa Arizona. I think they had them for 3 or 4 weeks so that may have helped the price. If you want a quicker turn around then it might be a bit more.....not positive about that, just taking a wild guess.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
He should probably take you out for steak with what these places charge. :taunt:tongue
He actually call's on item's that are shipped when he receive's them and give's you a quote and stand's by that . If you do not like the price he will send back on his cost.

bobs409

Administrator
That's too rich for my blood too! This crazy hobby we love sure isn't a cheap one! I just placed a few orders for those last minute items and spent close to $800 bucks without really trying. I don't dare add up the receipts on this one until it's done. :fear2

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That's too rich for my blood too! This crazy hobby we love sure isn't a cheap one! I just placed a few orders for those last minute items and spent close to $800 bucks without really trying. I don't dare add up the receipts on this one until it's done. :fear2

Yup, credit cards sure make it easy for us to do that. Agreed, it is an expensive hobby. I don't mind spending money, but I hate wasting it. Seems I've done my fair share of that. This bumper thing really has me spinning. I'm not looking for a free lunch. Just want a good job for the price. I would never cheat anyone and I don't want to be cheated either. Guess my search will continue. Sooner or later though, I'll have to make a decision. I did email Sandys and requested a definition from them as to what "street chrome finish" is , Carmine.

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
you really should look at the Chinese stuff, no waiting, if you think it junk send it back. I was extremely impressed with how nice they are. as a bonus they are 5# each lighter. that's free horsepower. I did some trimming on the brackets and took a total of 41 pounds off my car.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I get front and rear bumpers 62, 63 or 64 bumpers done here for right around $ 250 for front or $500 for both. 6 weeks turn around right now
The company is right in town, been here 40 + years to my knowledge. I have bumpers from them on my Show Car (my 62 SS 409). If they do not come out very nice, they redo them at no cost.
I have done original bumpers locally at least 6 -62's and 63's over about 15 years and the cars I still have, the chrome is still in excellent condition.

I installed a repro bumper on a 63 Impala(that a friend bought repro bumpers and I/we finished for his wife) and I did not like the fit or the quality as compared to an original rechrome.

Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Paul, could you share the name of the company/business that rechromed your bumpers. Do they have a website if you know?? That's an excellent price for the work, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
you really should look at the Chinese stuff, no waiting, if you think it junk send it back. I was extremely impressed with how nice they are. as a bonus they are 5# each lighter. that's free horsepower. I did some trimming on the brackets and took a total of 41 pounds off my car.
Thanks for sharing that with us. I'm just a little concerned about the plating. I certainly wouldn't mind looking at one in person. How was the fit?? Much adjustment?? Hole alignment?? Thank you, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The company is Sioux Plating in South Sioux City, Nebraska phone 402-494-2477. I misplaced the name guy (I think its Scott) who handles the rechroming, just ask for the guy who handles rechroming classic car bumpers . I may be off a little on price -it might have been $300 for each - the last ones I did where 62 California one piece bumpers, my bill is put away somewhere. They do not do potmetal like tailights or outside vent window frames..
I/we have some 62 Chevy bucket seat chrome that they are doing about to take bumpers to him and window frames(the ones that are chrome steel).
When you talk to him tell him that I told you to call. I have 62 Chevy 3 piece cores that I could give him to do for you a very very reasonable price for the cores.
I could check them for you when done.

I noted lots of comments in this post on the repro bumpers- so more detail from what I said before. The joints do not fit right, way to thin compared to solid originals, chrome not close to rechroming quality. They did not fit the car correctly by the fenders.
Paul