Another Flood in Iowa

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Might be a stupid question, but are you considered in a flood area, and required flood insurance?????

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did you have time to track the dirt and tighten it up or was it just piled up loose? Thankfully you have the equipment. I would be a nervous wreck!!!!!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Dan

My equipment was either too big or too small to place the clay. I used a local contractor with his track bobcat skid loader to place the material. See pics above. We put the clay in about 1 foot lifts and it packed very good. There is a pretty stiff current hitting half of it. It wouldn't have held if we hadn't compacted it. I should get some sleep tonite, pump is working good and can run 4 hours on a tank of fuel. This has been a battle, but I tend to be a bit determined:winnerI've been hobbling around since I tore something in my hip playing racquetball Wednesday night through all this. Feeling better now, just in time to clean up the mess and put things back together. Sorry to bore you guys with all this, but there's not much to do around here until I turn the pumps off .

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
racquetball........ really................ on top of moving all of the contents from a your shop, the contents of your home.......... building a dike setting up sump pits and pumps...........the worries of a major flood............raquetball........?????.........................amazing

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
racquetball........ really................ on top of moving all of the contents from a your shop, the contents of your home.......... building a dike setting up sump pits and pumps...........the worries of a major flood............raquetball........?????.........................amazing

Racquetball was the day before the moving started, and before the flooding notice Keith. I'm not that ambitious....:)takes me 3 days to get over it.

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
MAN'S BEST FRIEND
This is the most awesome thing I have seen during all this. My daughter and son in law are smarter than me. They live right on the river, but are built several feet higher. They have 2 jack Russell terriers. When we were up there Saturday night before the flood at my birthday party, this one would not leave my son in laws side. Everything was fine there yesterday AM,Attachment-1.jpeg so my son in law boated out and went to work. Chuck sat there by the shop all day waiting for him to come home.....:bow:bow

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I don't think I could handle it Dave. I would try but without loads of help I don't think I could beat it. I know if I were close to you and didn't have to battle it I would have my equipment over at your place helping you. I kinda like Mary. You, I don't know about though. Just kidding Dave, I know I could get used to you, lol. Take a few weeks off after the river gets back to normal levels. Yeah, "DOWN BY THE RIVER IN A VAN".

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks for the kind words Ray. Water went down 18" since yesterday. Got some sleep last nite, only had to gas pump twice. Taking boat to my truck, going to town for some supplies. Starting to put stuff back together in the house today. We would not have had to move anything, but we both agreed to play it safe after loosing so much in 2008. The flood of 08 was a wake up call for people affected by flooding. Cities and other people were much more prepared this time, and damage will be much lower. I wish I was the inventor of the Hesco Barriers used this time, and had the patent rights.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Question, where's all the dirt going to go when everything has dried up?
Or have you figured where to move it until the next time?
Being from the Great Lakes State (Michigan) I'm familiar with the ups and downs of water levels.
Not so much fast moving river water.

Dave