Old Bikes

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My first bike had no brakes, had to use the side of my sneaker for brakes which worked good because it had no back fender. I wasn't rich.

I got a job and later upgraded to one like this (when about 19), same colour. 1970 Kawasaki 500 CC 2 stroke, 3 cylinder, 5 speed. It was quick and fast, smoked like hell, pass anything but a gas station, it had about a 3 gallon tank. It would do about 120 with me on it, I weighed 135 at the time. Then I found beer.
The great bike to have at the time for people my age was a 500 CC Honda 4 stroke, that topped out at about 80. Eat my smoke.....:winner:winnerThis bike would eat a 750 4 stroke Honda. My first and last motorcycle.

My first bike had 50/50 brakes on it sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't. Man I don't know what I did to Dad to deserve a bike like this because he built me a girls bike to ride. My buddy use to call me Patches because his Dad bought him a nice English Raleigh bike to ride, anywho the tires were bald on my bike and where the cords were showing Dad would cut strips out of old innertubes and wrap the effected areas ,man it was embarrassing to ride this thing I would have had to pay someone to steal it. But I saved my money and around 62 I bought me a brand new 3 speed Schwinn life was good and in 65 I went motorized and bought a 1965 80cc Suzuki Hillbilly trailbike.

My Brother bought a 69 Kawasaki 500 H1 Mach 3 which he still has it was fast but I liked my ole 67 BSA Lightning sounded good and it had torque. He also had a 72 Kawasaki 750 H2 which was also a rocket but he traded it away for a cdi unit for a Rupp Nitro 440 snowmobile and if you want to make him mad all's you have to do is bring up this little transaction .

Mark

th

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Geeze, so many cool bikes and here's another little thing i never though to tell y'all about me. Heres a pic of my other bike.. Its completely carbon, wheels are like 1lb, and its taken me through 7 Ironman Triathalons, ha!.. I did three last year, so thats why you guys dont see us at a track. The training is tough, its common to have 8hr rides on sat and follow with 25+ run, but if you want to compete, no excuses, DO THE WORK!. The race starts with a 2.4m swim, then you transition to a 112mile bike and finish with a 26 mile marathon.. It gets a tad bit "uncomfortable" during the marathon, but the people I meet are so inspirational. WHY, their ages range from 18 to 82!!!

Last year in MD, a lady, 82 came in at 17:01, and you know what she said?? " She wasnt sad she missed the cut, no man, she said "no worries, Ill train harder next year, HA!" Oh MY GOD!! Another story, in the pic below I was prepping before the cannon at the waters edge, it was flurrying, coast guard couldnt keep the turn bouys in the same spot, water 58, and they delayed. a n hr. In that time, with me shi^# in my pants because its the sea, a a person with a rope around their waist was being pulled through the crowd to start the race, and they were BLIND!!! BLIND!!!! Can you imagine that, BLIND!

The pic with the guy sitting, his name is Pat. . The dude raced in a 134miler and to put it in perspective, HE IS PARALIZED from the waist down!!! Not sure if thats a biggie, check out the elevation on that race below....

The other pic of the little guy, his name is John the Hammer. I've met him three years in a row racing Maryland Ironman. Need inspiration, he's the first person on the planet with dwarfism to do the race. His bike comes up to my kneecap, but no bullshit, he does the same as all of us. Has to swim on his back, imagine that. Its a violent swim, people swimming over you,, water dark, and he does it on his back!!!!

People are amazing and I see HUNDREDS of people doing Ironman in their 70's, so if y'all the itch, hit me up..

Last pic, i jump over the line at each race... Some, i nearly eat the carpet cuz the legs are a little wobbly, ha..

Attachments

• bike1.JPG
    bike1.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 28
  • bike2.JPG
    bike2.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 27
  • bike3.JPG
    bike3.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 25
  • bike6.JPG
    bike6.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 24
  • bike5.JPG
    bike5.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 12727.jpeg
    12727.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 12731.jpeg
    12731.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20150110_094057 (2).jpg
    20150110_094057 (2).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 29

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Geeze, so many cool bikes and here's another little thing i never though to tell y'all about me. Heres a pic of my other bike.. Its completely carbon, wheels are like 1lb, and its taken me through 7 Ironman Triathalons, ha!.. I did three last year, so thats why you guys dont see us at a track. The training is tough, its common to have 8hr rides on sat and follow with 25+ run, but if you want to compete, no excuses, DO THE WORK!. The race starts with a 2.4m swim, then you transition to a 112mile bike and finish with a 26 mile marathon.. It gets a tad bit "uncomfortable" during the marathon, but the people I meet are so inspirational. WHY, their ages range from 18 to 82!!!

Last year in MD, a lady, 82 came in at 17:01, and you know what she said?? " She wasnt sad she missed the cut, no man, she said "no worries, Ill train harder next year, HA!" Oh MY GOD!! Another story, in the pic below I was prepping before the cannon at the waters edge, it was flurrying, coast guard couldnt keep the turn bouys in the same spot, water 58, and they delayed. a n hr. In that time, with me shi^# in my pants because its the sea, a a person with a rope around their waist was being pulled through the crowd to start the race, and they were BLIND!!! BLIND!!!! Can you imagine that, BLIND!

The pic with the guy sitting, his name is Pat. . The dude raced in a 134miler and to put it in perspective, HE IS PARALIZED from the waist down!!! Not sure if thats a biggie, check out the elevation on that race below....

The other pic of the little guy, his name is John the Hammer. I've met him three years in a row racing Maryland Ironman. Need inspiration, he's the first person on the planet with dwarfism to do the race. His bike comes up to my kneecap, but no bullshit, he does the same as all of us. Has to swim on his back, imagine that. Its a violent swim, people swimming over you,, water dark, and he does it on his back!!!!

People are amazing and I see HUNDREDS of people doing Ironman in their 70's, so if y'all the itch, hit me up..

Last pic, i jump over the line at each race... Some, i nearly eat the carpet cuz the legs are a little wobbly, ha..
Kurt,
My wife was a cat 1 road racer and she has some pretty expensive bikes and wheel 10K plus :wacko I never say word:hide she just rides for fun now

chuckl

Well Known Member
In my earlier days, I bought a Triumph Bonneville 650. As I was just beginning to feel comfortable on it, I asked a local bike guru about riding. He said: "When you feel really comfortable on the bike and feel like it is a part of you, get off of that sumbitch and never get back on. If you don't, you will kill yourself." He was right. I came very close (with shattered helmets and broken bones)--twice. I got off that "sumbitch" and never got back on. I'm a slow learner, but I took the advice in time.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
In my earlier days, I bought a Triumph Bonneville 650. As I was just beginning to feel comfortable on it, I asked a local bike guru about riding. He said: "When you feel really comfortable on the bike and feel like it is a part of you, get off of that sumbitch and never get back on. If you don't, you will kill yourself." He was right. I came very close (with shattered helmets and broken bones)--twice. I got off that "sumbitch" and never got back on. I'm a slow learner, but I took the advice in time.
.....hey Chuck......just in case you want that experience again......:confused..... I have a sweet 68 Triumph 650 for sale I've owned since 1971......:love

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
.....hey Chuck......just in case you want that experience again......:confused..... I have a sweet 68 Triumph 650 for sale I've owned since 1971......:love

That sounds like it would be a nice bike to have Bernie being you owned it all those years. What model Triumph is it?

Mark

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Triumph Trophy Sport TR6R.........great sound ...the only difference between the Trophy and the Bonneville
were color, Bonneville Red - Trophy Blue and Bonneville has two carbs, Trophy one.,
View attachment 66130

Very nice Bernie is she all original except for the pipes? I have a 68 Bonneville and a 68 TR6C high pipe unfortunately they don't look as nice as your TR6 R.

Mark

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Very nice Bernie is she all original except for the pipes? I have a 68 Bonneville and a 68 TR6C high pipe unfortunately they don't look as nice as your TR6 R.

Mark
....thanx Mark.......all orig except for the pipes and the semi-high bars. Orig engine never disassembled or
out of frame, serial number still listed on Triumph site......:read
This bike was a blast to ride when we were all a lot younger.........:cool:........the kick start not so much today....:confused