55 Chevy !!!!

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
A friend of mine had a B/Gas '56 Chevy hardtop in the mid '60's. Same colors but looked a whole lot worse. He called it the "Filthy '56". Ran good, but it was "Filthy"!!

Lonnie

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
This IS gonna be Long.:dohAfter my Dad's 55 Pontiac, gave up it's ghost, a friend of mine told me, his boss had a customer's car, that they were looking to sell.:clap This was around 1962. We went to look at it. It was a 55 Chevy 2 door.:applLime green with green /white cloth interior. 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree.:clapI instantly loved that car.:love2 door stick.The wheels were turning, in my head. Of course, I kept my thoughts to myself.:rolleyes The bigger surprise, the guy only wanted $ 100.00. I still remember, the smile my Dad, had on his face.:) He did the transaction, and my buddy, dropped the car at our house, a couple days later. After a grueling 2 hour ride, down and back, on the bus, not to mention dealing with the Nazi-like workers at DVM, he finally had his plates.:clap:dance I put the plates, on the old girl, and we went for a spin, to the gas station. He loved it. Quiet motor, shifted well, brakes worked good, didn't wander. WOW! What a deal. Couldn't get over, why they sold it, So Cheap. Seven year old car for $ 100.00 :bowAfter a couple month's, he said I'm gonna take the car to Birch, and have him change the oil and filter. Birch ran the Amoco station, a few blocks away. After he changed the oil and filter, he told my Dad, your oil was So Black and dirty, it took longer than usual to drain.:doh Of course that didn't ring any bells for him, but it did for me.:eek1 A couple days later, we were coming back from the market, and were sitting at a RED light, some Blue exhaust smoke, was making it's way towards the front of the car.:eek2 My father said to me, "is that us" Oh, I don't know? To make a long story short, this pig started smoking, more and more every day. It smoked So bad, it looked like a Mosquito Control vehicle. OMG:doh STP Oil Treatment became a regular diet, for this car. He didn't like driving it anymore, because he was embarrassed. Most of his shopping, was done at night.:mad I had the car, this particular Saturday, and I was racing a friends 57 Ford wagon. Doing pretty good, too. :clap As I shifted into 2nd gear, the linkage got jammed, and I was stuck between two gears at once. :eek3Luckily, my buddy knew what to do. After farting around, under the hood, it was OK. A couple days later, I get a phone call, from Dad, to come and get this F#*%ing piece of shit. I'm stuck in traffic. The gear shift is jammed. Luckily, he was only 3 or 4 blocks away, because I had to walk. After I got there, I popped the hood, and played with the linkage, and we made it back home. I tried to show him how to shift into second gear, so it wouldn't happen again. He told me "I will Never drive that piece of shit again." And he didn't.:doh I drove it, for another month or so, and it got so bad, it wouldn't shift at all. I traded it in on a 57 Chevy station wagon.:appl That's another story, for another time.:rolleyes Here's a picture, of the two cars.Chevy's.jpg

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
After I traded, my Dad's 55, for the 57, I didn't want, to put up with that crap anymore.:dohSo I went, to our local Speed Shop, (Pfeiffer's) and purchased a Foxcraft Shifter Kit. :applIt was Awesome.:bow Large Black knob, w/ the H pattern. Drove the car, half up on the sidewalk laid a couple blankets down. (It was winter)Compared the shifting rods, to the originals and disconnected everything. For some reason, that I can't remember now, I had to use the new levers for the tranny. :dunnoI put the two levers on, dented the floor, with a hammer, and drilled a hole just large enough for the shifter, to stick through the floor. After I installed the rods and Mr. Kotter pins. I picked everything up, and then cut the hole in the floor. The shift lever was pretty cheap, and only had a 3/4" nut and lock washer holding it, wherever you positioned it. Obviously, not a lot of thought, went into that. :doh Anyhow, when I got all done, it was time for a ride.:danceStarted the car, and shifted into reverse and the car went forward, and stalled.:rubShifted into 1st, and it backed up.:doh:wtfI had to remove, the two shifting levers, and turn them around, before everything worked correctly. I also remember filing metal off, so the levers would stay tight. This is the price you pay, when you don't have the money, to buy a Hurst.:doh I must say, after playing around for awhile, it did shift pretty good.:appl Just couldn't, get that Nut tight enough, on the shifter Handle. Everytime, I banged 2nd gear, I punched the dashboard with my right hand.:eek1 After thinking back, it was still Fun.:clap:clap:clap