Tooth's 68 Chevy ll Beater Project

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
After watching the videos I'm pretty sure I could have ran it out in 3rd gear do to my 325 gears and may have even made it into the 11's. Wasn't pushing it through the trap on RPM at all. Something in your head just tells you you need to get to 4th gear:crazy this may be an instance where 4th gear wasn't even needed. Definitely need to go back and try it! Thanks James:good

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Remember guys this is a street car it is being driven on a racetrack, it's not a dedicated race car. That will be the 30 Chevy coupe with a "W" motor in it., and the rear end is already done with 410 gears full of strange parts. Thinking about going by and loading up the back-end full of groceries next pass! LOL no ice cream though....
I am going to have quick performance make me another nodular Center section with a 410 gear in it. Besides James I can't hear the tires squeal if there's no exhaust on it:dunno :dance3

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Just talked to Ralph and he thinks he's figured out what was going on Wednesday night and is ready to go back on the 9th for another test and tune!
Me toooooooooooo! Going to switch power valves and flop the Jets and make it into a 3-speed! LOL:dunno

I wouldn't change anything in the carburetor yet, the first thing I would do is fill the holes under the hood that are not needed then make a pan to seal the carburetor to the bottom of the hood.
After a few hits with that and a real plug reading, Then I would make a jet call then.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm not going to change the Jets till I get a good plug reading, however I am going to take a vacuum reading to see if my power valve is the correct size. And yes if I block those holes and make that pan under the hood I will get a fresh cold air charge from the back of the hood. I remember having a cool can on my Chevelle aluminum Loop in a old coffee can soldered in and I would fill it with ice to give a cold fuel charge to the carburetor. Man this is starting bring back old memories from the old days. I think welding a sump in the bottom of my gas tank to discharge the fuel out the back was a good idea though.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Ralph's sounder good it the burn out box, but had issues going down the track.
He had installed some stub stacks and thinks he closed off the carburetor bowl vents.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So James gave me an idea:confusedhe said he put a pan on the bottom of his air cleaner and hooked up directly to the hood And drew air from the back of the hood on his charger and it gained three tenths... when we were at the track a couple of weeks ago he said you need to take advantage of that cowl and draw air from the back and closed off everything in the engine compartment and get rid of your hot air into the carb! I agreed and had seen other cars doing that in the past and present. after all how hard would it be to do with all the metal tools that I have, and my stick and Rock?:crazy so I found the bottom of an air filter that was not stepped, and I made a metal ring out of some 18 gauge and connected the two. I ran it at 3 in past the air filter and sealed the bottom of the pan to the ring and also put some piping on the outside edge of the Ring and seal them together. I also got a new air filter that is an inch taller than the one that was on it which puts it all the way up into the cowl at the bottom edge of the hood .Here is what I came up with and I think it'll work perfect and next Wednesday the 9th I should find out if it makes any difference because this is the only major change that I'm making it this time. Thanks for pushing me in the correct direction James!:wacko:good

Attachments

• 20191002_205555.jpg
    20191002_205555.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 20
  • 20191002_205545.jpg
    20191002_205545.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20191002_205632.jpg
    20191002_205632.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20191002_204919.jpg
    20191002_204919.jpg