“New” Intake

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow Dan, that’s impressive sure has come along way and looks really nice. Have you started on one for me yet for my 63:dunnoThe next one shouldn’t take near as long:brow Seriously though it really does look nice. And I’ll bet it’s going to work really well! How many miles to Gateway St. Louis for you?
It’s every bit of five hours. You already have an intake! Mine might be worse!

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Two and a half days on the dyno. What a shit show. I could write two pages but I'm gonna give the really condensed version. Started with my new intake. Engine kept breaking up. It was random where during the pull it would. One pull up 50 hp and the next lose it with zero changes. New plugs same shit. Up and down with fuel and timing. Next day different plug wires, cap, and rotor. Nope, not it. Plugs looked good. We were beginning to think the intake was the problem. Changed the magnetic pick up in the distributor. Not it. Checked valves, not it. Added one inch spacers to move the carbs further from the runners. It picked up 30 hp at 5400 so it liked that very much but still breaking up. It would show up in the vacuum readings also. Fuel curve looked good. Now we figured it must be the intake. Put the edelbrock back on. Nope! Still breaking up. At least it wasn't the new intake. Changed coils. Nope! Put a different engine on the dyno and zero problems. A very experienced dyno operator, another person who did cylinder head development for Hendricks for twelve years among others and everyone is stumped. So where it left off is 663 hp with the engine breaking up. It made 40 more hp than the edelbrock. I can't afford to go back to the dyno so it's back in the garage for me to figure out. It should make 700 all day with out breaking a sweat. Hell, the car went 10 teens with the edelbrock intake and this one show it is capable of at least 40 more hp minimum.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dan, sorry to hear about all the frustration. But I have a question did you change pistons in this motor when you freshened it up? And have you done a leak down on each cylinder since you put it together? Just curious what the leak down percentages on each cylinder?
Thanks Tooth

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Two and a half days on the dyno. What a shit show. I could write two pages but I'm gonna give the really condensed version. Started with my new intake. Engine kept breaking up. It was random where during the pull it would. One pull up 50 hp and the next lose it with zero changes. New plugs same shit. Up and down with fuel and timing. Next day different plug wires, cap, and rotor. Nope, not it. Plugs looked good. We were beginning to think the intake was the problem. Changed the magnetic pick up in the distributor. Not it. Checked valves, not it. Added one inch spacers to move the carbs further from the runners. It picked up 30 hp at 5400 so it liked that very much but still breaking up. It would show up in the vacuum readings also. Fuel curve looked good. Now we figured it must be the intake. Put the edelbrock back on. Nope! Still breaking up. At least it wasn't the new intake. Changed coils. Nope! Put a different engine on the dyno and zero problems. A very experienced dyno operator, another person who did cylinder head development for Hendricks for twelve years among others and everyone is stumped. So where it left off is 663 hp with the engine breaking up. It made 40 more hp than the edelbrock. I can't afford to go back to the dyno so it's back in the garage for me to figure out. It should make 700 all day with out breaking a sweat. Hell, the car went 10 teens with the edelbrock intake and this one show it is capable of at least 40 more hp minimum.
I normally have something useful to say but your knowledge is way above my pay grade. I hope you figure it out. I didn't see you mention what has been done with the carbs lately. What has changed or done to them while the engine was rebuilt, could something come loose inside? My car was a fine tuned machine and my carbs died on me at Onawa. I feel your frustration.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan, sorry to hear about all the frustration. But I have a question did you change pistons in this motor when you freshened it up? And have you done a leak down on each cylinder since you put it together? Just curious what the leak down percentages on each cylinder?
Thanks Tooth
No leak down but that is on the schedule for tomorrow. I don't expect to find anything as the plugs look super. Same pistons. In fact new parts are rings, bearings, valve springs, and exhaust valves. It was honed, align honed, and a valve job. Very puzzling. Oil looks great after 25 plus pulls. Best its ever looked cleanliness wise. I haven't cut the filter open yet but that is on the list too along with inspecting the valve train and checking cam timing. Also a close inspection of all the ports for any funky patterns or colors.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I normally have something useful to say but your knowledge is way above my pay grade. I hope you figure it out. I didn't see you mention what has been done with the carbs lately. What has changed or done to them while the engine was rebuilt, could something come loose inside? My car was a fine tuned machine and my carbs died on me at Onawa. I feel your frustration.
Nothing with the carbs I know of. Fuel curve looked good. Not like it was going lean intermittently. They will also be scrutinized though. I am sure this will wind up to be something stupid. Seems that is how it goes.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The reason why I ask about a leak down is because you were talking about vacuum issues on the Dyno. This can cause A bad fuel signal. And one thing is for sure if you degreed the cam in and there are no interference issues and the leak down is good it
In my mind points to ignition or fuel delivery. If the Edelbrock intake has the same breaking up then I would say it’s a dead cylinder under load or fuel signal or ignition. Just trying to give you some ideas but I’m sure you are way ahead of me. Good luck. And another verified check off the list. Leak down:brow:read:reading

Last edited: