“New” Intake

tenxal

Well Known Member
That honestly has crossed my mind. I took off the springs I had because they had a ton of passes on them. Pressure wise they were in great shape but they were PSI and I have heard they hold their pressure right up till they break. Anyway, The old springs were set up about .065 from coil bind. These new ones are about .125 if I remember right and have about 25 pounds more pressure on the seat.

As you know, when the brake loads the engine on the dyno, things can get interesting in a hurry. One other thing is to check with the dyno shop and see where the water brake servo was at for percentage of load. Ideally, you want it to be at 90%. If it's not, harmonics can be induced because of the lost 'dampening effect'. The fact that it's happening at random RPM ranges makes me wonder.....

Can you post a pic of the BSFC numbers and lbs of fuel/hr. numbers on the different pulls?

Honestly, if nothing else comes to light as a cause, I'd put the old springs back on and take it back to the dyno. Too bad you weren't closer.
On the dyno last week with this 283 NHRA Stock Eliminator engine. Big power, big problems. :juggle

ymE251yl.jpg

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As you know, when the brake loads the engine on the dyno, things can get interesting in a hurry. One other thing is to check with the dyno shop and see where the water brake servo was at for percentage of load. Ideally, you want it to be at 90%. If it's not, harmonics can be induced because of the lost 'dampening effect'. The fact that it's happening at random RPM ranges makes me wonder.....

Can you post a pic of the BSFC numbers and lbs of fuel/hr. numbers on the different pulls?

Honestly, if nothing else comes to light as a cause, I'd put the old springs back on and take it back to the dyno. Too bad you weren't closer.
On the dyno last week with this 283 NHRA Stock Eliminator engine. Big power, big problems. :juggle

ymE251yl.jpg
I would love to bring it up. I’m just out of time and money for the year. The 620 hp is the edelbrock and 663 with my intake.
5C46795B-08CE-47E8-96C0-E623B0CAD601.jpeg8E325DF3-FB68-45A9-80CB-0B9D3374D67B.jpeg

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ready to go! Going to try it on Sunday. I think I have found the issue. Apparently, running an afb/edelbrock carb on a dyno without the air valves is not the way to go. This from someone who dynoed two completely different engines and both ran like crap until the air valves were put back in despite those engines running fine and faster in the car without them. I’ll soon find out.3B7D56F5-1BCC-4041-BAA8-761A64E0371F.jpeg

Last edited:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok so I went to the track. The car ran fine! No breaking up or anything weird. So apparently I spent $1600 in dyno time and fuel to find out that you can NOT run an afb/edelbrock on the dyno without the air valves. In the car is a different story. I had a few bugs to work out and found a couple screw ups on my part so I never got it dialed in. Best was a 10.34 at 129 and change. Air was terrible with a DA of 3200 feet and 120 water grains.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Glad to hear there is nothing going on there Dan……..!!!…….what was yer best with the Edelbrock……???

Reactions: Tim

de31168

Well Known Member
Ok so I went to the track. The car ran fine! No breaking up or anything weird. So apparently I spent $1600 in dyno time and fuel to find out that you can NOT run an afb/edelbrock on the dyno without the air valves. In the car is a different story. I had a few bugs to work out and found a couple screw ups on my part so I never got it dialed in. Best was a 10.34 at 129 and change. Air was terrible with a DA of 3200 feet and 120 water grains.

That's awesome! Glad to hear there weren't any issues in the car itself. I will say this, my best run saturday was a 10.11 at 132mph as the sun went down. Mostly ran 130 and mid to high teens on the other passes. It was extremely terrible air so those are great numbers! It will pick up quite a bit in the cool air.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's awesome! Glad to hear there weren't any issues in the car itself. I will say this, my best run saturday was a 10.11 at 132mph as the sun went down. Mostly ran 130 and mid to high teens on the other passes. It was extremely terrible air so those are great numbers! It will pick up quite a bit in the cool air.
Yeah, the air was really bad. If I correct for the weather, It basically ran the same as last year and I am pretty sure it is WAY rich and I don't have my cold air setup on anymore. So there is potential.