1957 Buick 70 Series Roadmaster Riviera "Honey I'm Home!!!"

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I bought a set of Ed Miller C4-C5 caliper brackets so I could install my C5 Zo6 Rotors and Calipers. I was a little disappointed in the bracket. I could have made these myself but decied to buy them as his site said included all hardware and figured it would save me some running around as I don't stock Metric Fastners. The abutment brackets that mount to the spindle use a 14-2 mm bolt. Ed tapped the bracket for a 12mm bolt and then supplied 12-1.25mm bolts. Well needless to say that was a sloppy fit and I was not to happy so I drilled out the brackets to 9/16" then used the stock abutment bracket bolts from the C4 and bought four 14-2mm nuts. Then set everything up and tacked the nuts to the brackets. What should have taken me fifteen minutes ended up taking half a day by the time I ran into town...:cussAll in all it did turn out good. Here are few pics.

C4-C5 Front Brakes Ed Miller Brackets 1.jpgC4- C5 Front Brakes Ed Miller Brackets 2.jpgC4- C5 Front Brakes Ed Miller Brackets 3.jpgC4-C5 Front Brakes Ed Miller Brackets 4.jpgC5 Front Brakes Driver Caliper.jpgC5 Front Brakes Wheel.jpg

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Got the bumper ends back yesterday in copper. Welded the plates back in with the new shields I made to seal up the bumper ends from exhaust. Now I have to block out the copper to 220 then take them back to the plater for final chrome.

Bumper Ends In Copper 1.jpgBumper Ends In Copper 5.jpgBumper Ends In Copper 7.jpg

I

IMBVSUR?

It's nice to see someone who knows about variable pitch convertors. Actaully anything older than 1970. You speak to a lot of people these days and if it isn't anything newer than about 1985 they get the deer in the headlight look. Nice buick. Never had a buick, had a 54 merc, about the closest thing to that anyhow. I have actually had lots of cars from 1928 to 07. Good luck on that buick, however it doesn't look like luck will play into it, more like experience to me.

Jeff

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's nice to see someone who knows about variable pitch convertors. Actaully anything older than 1970. You speak to a lot of people these days and if it isn't anything newer than about 1985 they get the deer in the headlight look. Nice buick. Never had a buick, had a 54 merc, about the closest thing to that anyhow. I have actually had lots of cars from 1928 to 07. Good luck on that buick, however it doesn't look like luck will play into it, more like experience to me.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff for the complement.

I got the bumper ends blocked out today. I took them down with 220 then hit them with 320 and then hit the edges and a quick once over with 600.

Bumper Ends In Copper Blocked 1.jpgBumper Ends In Copper Blocked 2.jpg

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sense I have been working with the Chrome guy I decided to clean up my grill to see if it needed to be sent to the chrome shop. Man it had some serious dirt in between the bars but the chrome on it is like new. It does not have one single pit. The eye brow and the bumper are in nice shape as well but will be going to the chrome shop.

Grill & Bumper.jpg

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Dan: What did you end up doing on your tail lens? There is a place in New York I have used some called GM Restorations. Maybe you already know about them. Butch

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan: What did you end up doing on your tail lens? There is a place in New York I have used some called GM Restorations. Maybe you already know about them. Butch
Butch,
After I talked with you I decided I had better take a good look at what I already had and found I really only need a set of backup lenses. I could even get away with the back up lenses I have but I will keep my eyes peeled for a NOS set.
Butch called the other day and was telling me about the expense on the Fleetmaster restoration. I said I know, I know. I told him I thought I would buy new lenses for my tail lights and front parking lights. For 8-lenses is 485.00 plus shipping...:eek. There is nothing cheap about this Buick with the exception of my labor...:crazy

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm headed to the chrome shop in the morning. Picking up a bunch of stuff that is in copper and ready for me to block out. Then dropping off my rear bumper parts ready for final plating along with the rear taillight housings and front bumper ends that I will get back in copper. Here is the center section all blocked in 320. I think its going to look great...:brow

Rear Bumper Center Blocked in 320 -1.jpgRear Bumper Center Blocked in 320 -2.jpg

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You and I together Dan I believe we are now pretty close to the national debt. If you ask my wife Debbie we have surpassed it.. Sure looks like you are coming right along with it though.Can't wait to see it done.
. Butch

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You and I together Dan I believe we are now pretty close to the national debt. If you ask my wife Debbie we have surpassed it.. Sure looks like you are coming right along with it though.Can't wait to see it done.
. Butch
Well, I will be driving it this summer in Dapple Gray and shinny new chrome...:browPaint comes next winter...

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Guess I need to post a few pics of my progress. I assembled the front end to check how everything was going to fit then disassembled and pulled the body to finish off the last of the chassis. I decided to make my own carrier bearing using the original cup from the 66' Wildcat drive line I am using. I cut the spot welds off the flange that attached to the cup and then bolted to the frame of the Wildcat. Then used a piece of 2-1/2" box tubing to make the pedestal. It worked out real nice. I also welded in a piece of 3/16" plate on the bottom of the X-member to give the carrier bearing a nice mounting surface. In order to make the Wildcat drive line fit my chassis I had to cut a section out of the front drive line and then add a section to the back drive line. This gave me the mocked up drive line to take to be rebuilt. The reason I decided to use the original carrier is now I can install new U-joints in what I have and have a new rear tube installed, balance it and I am done. If I would have bought a new billet carrier I would have had to build a whole new drive line. This drive line also has a slip joint. I also made up the tabs for the rear sway bar links and welded them on. Now I am plumbing the brakes and will post some pics of that soon.

Front End Assembled Driver Side 2.jpgCarrier Bearing 4.jpgCarrier Bearing 5.jpgCarrier Bearing 7.jpgCarrier Bearing Frame Mount.jpgRear Sway Bar Link Mount 1.jpgRear Sway Bar Link Mount 2.jpg

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Dan. I cannot believe what you must go through every day with this. After looking at your project makes mine look simple and I now have not one hair on my head after mine. But looking good and I know it will be a show stopper when finished. Keep the pace and pictures. When I was a kid we had a 57 Buick. I think this one is going to be JUST A TAD BIT BETTER. Enjoy the progress.. Butch

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan. I cannot believe what you must go through every day with this. After looking at your project makes mine look simple and I now have not one hair on my head after mine. But looking good and I know it will be a show stopper when finished. Keep the pace and pictures. When I was a kid we had a 57 Buick. I think this one is going to be JUST A TAD BIT BETTER. Enjoy the progress.. Butch
She's really looking good! :beer
Thanks Butch and Jim

I dropped the frame off at the powder coater Tuesday and picked it up today. Also have the 425 assembled.

425 Assembled.jpg425 Eelco 3X2 Backwards & PML Vally Cover.jpgFrame Powder Coated 1.jpgFrame Powder Coated 2.jpgFrame Powder Coated 3.jpg

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I did not know there was a 3X2 set up for those. This car is going to be spectacular Dan. If we get up that way we will have to stop in. Thanks for the up dates and pictures. Take care...Butch