1961 Nomad SS 4 speed wagon

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Tommy, the 27 I have was a race car in the Iowa Indiana area in the 30's. What I have learned is it has a 28 Model A engine and trans now, but at one time had one of the race heads with the dual carb intake on the pass side and the exhaust on the drivers side. Question, if you talk to some of your guys and they have info on a set up like that I would really like to put it back like it ran back then. Thanks as usual, Pat.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Pat,
I know nothing about these things but I will ask, in my AACA local club we have 2 of those race cars. One has been restored and is modified but the other appears stock. The guy with the restored car said something to me about that head that you referred too because he has an original photo of the car from back in the day and I pointed out that the exhaust was on the opopsite side of the car now from what it was then. When I pointed that out he told me about the racing head being different. I will talk to him about it.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Pat,
Here is a photo from our local AACA car show that we had a few weeks ago. Race cars were featured. You can see one of the Speedsters, the yellow car in the background. The flying 11 is the actual car that "Mr. Modified", Ray Hendrick drove to so many victorys. His son Roy restored it and was kind enough to display it at our show. I'll look into that Speedster some.20160618_123847.jpg

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tommy, the 27 I have was a race car in the Iowa Indiana area in the 30's. What I have learned is it has a 28 Model A engine and trans now, but at one time had one of the race heads with the dual carb intake on the pass side and the exhaust on the drivers side. Question, if you talk to some of your guys and they have info on a set up like that I would really like to put it back like it ran back then. Thanks as usual, Pat.
Pat,
Would it be like this?

20150703_132829.jpg 20150703_132841.jpg

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9

Actually, lots of guys made racing products for Ford back then including you photo of the Rajo head. That's not it, what is interesting is that one of the most popular back there was Frontenac built by Louis Chevrolet and his brother Arthur. By then he had sold out to GM and with millions of T's on the road away they went.
What I'm looking for is the aftermarket head with dual updraft carbs on the passenger side and the exhaust n the drivers side.
Thanks everyone, amazing how whether it's 348/409, Chrysler Hemis or flathead Ford, someone here has a line on something or an idea where to look.

Pat

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Pat, you should talk to Charlie Yapp. http://www.secretsofspeed.com/
He is the Editor of the Secrets of Speed Magazine, He would be extremely interested in your speedster.
The Roof head has the capability you talk of with intake and exhaust.
Us 348-409 guys want 350HP or better, I am building a 33 Ford 5 window coupe, original B Model ( 1 of 27 made) and have spent a pile of dough to get 100HP. Image is of my banger engine.
IMG_20160402_112818_178.jpg

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Not to throw cold water on the towing idea but some states have laws about the weight of a tow vehicle versus the towed load. The towing vehicle has to be 50% (or maybe more) heavier than the towed load. Makes sense, to prevent a big Airstream from pushing a Camry or a little CUV into everyone else on the road during a hard stop or evasive maneuver.

I have some second hand experience with breaking that kind of law. My dad used to flat-tow his 1950 Willys Jeepster (2500 lbs) behind his mid-'80's Olds Ciera wagon (3200 lbs) from Milwaukee a couple hundred miles in all directions including through Chicago once. The Jeepster had good alignment with plenty of caster and would track nicely behind the Ciera on smooth roads and normal driving. But where there were tire ruts (sometimes not noticeable by looking) in the road, the Jeepster would swing left and right and try taking the Ciera with it. Brakes, tires, steering and just plain inertia made the rig unsafe. He never got pulled over for it but a couple of near-death experiences and pleading from my brother and I got him to stop.

For fun, watch The Long, Long Trailer with Dezi Arnaz and Lucille Ball.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Would love to have the Mercury from that movie, it was a power window car.

Lonnie

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Not to throw cold water on the towing idea but some states have laws about the weight of a tow vehicle versus the towed load. The towing vehicle has to be 50% (or maybe more) heavier than the towed load. Makes sense, to prevent a big Airstream from pushing a Camry or a little CUV into everyone else on the road during a hard stop or evasive maneuver.

I have some second hand experience with breaking that kind of law. My dad used to flat-tow his 1950 Willys Jeepster (2500 lbs) behind his mid-'80's Olds Ciera wagon (3200 lbs) from Milwaukee a couple hundred miles in all directions including through Chicago once. The Jeepster had good alignment with plenty of caster and would track nicely behind the Ciera on smooth roads and normal driving. But where there were tire ruts (sometimes not noticeable by looking) in the road, the Jeepster would swing left and right and try taking the Ciera with it. Brakes, tires, steering and just plain inertia made the rig unsafe. He never got pulled over for it but a couple of near-death experiences and pleading from my brother and I got him to stop.

For fun, watch The Long, Long Trailer with Dezi Arnaz and Lucille Ball.

Regarding state laws about towing, I have to remind myself here in Texas few obey traffic laws, using your turn signal is a sign of weakness:) :).

Actually I think I will put the tow brackets on but trailer it with the wagon.

The wagon is FINALLY being prepped and masked for the final paint application. The dash was painted today, exciting.

There has to be 5-6 coats of primer, blocked, shot again, repeat..... We will throw black paint on until it drips off, then a 55 gal drum of clear coat!!!

It will weigh another 100 lbs easily.:) :)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Hey,hey, what you mean gotta have 50% towed weigh

Attachments

• image1-2.jpeg
    image1-2.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 44

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Remember that truck ad (Toyota??) pulling something huge like a space shuttle???

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Found the Wisconsin statute for this. Your state/province probably has the same:

Stat. 347.35(3)(am) A motor vehicle may be towed without being equipped with brakes as provided in par. (a) if the gross weight of the towed vehicle is not more than 40 percent of the gross weight of the towing vehicle and the brakes on the towing vehicle are capable of bringing the combination of towing vehicle and towed vehicle to a stop as provided in s. 347.36 (1)

Stat. 347.36(1). Brakes on motor vehicles and brakes on combinations of vehicles shall be capable of bringing the vehicle or combination of vehicles to a stop, under normal conditions, within 50 feet when traveling at a speed of 20 miles per hour.

It would look really cool to tow a car with a car like you have in mind, but might not be the thing to do. Would your insurance company pay out if something went wrong?

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Now that I read this again, it's a lot worse than I thought. My dad's Jeepster weighed 78% of his Ciera so way more than 40%. When we towed my 4-door (on trailer) home with my buddy's Dodge Ram last year, still way over 40%. Sheesh.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Found the Wisconsin statute for this. Your state/province probably has the same:

Stat. 347.35(3)(am) A motor vehicle may be towed without being equipped with brakes as provided in par. (a) if the gross weight of the towed vehicle is not more than 40 percent of the gross weight of the towing vehicle and the brakes on the towing vehicle are capable of bringing the combination of towing vehicle and towed vehicle to a stop as provided in s. 347.36 (1)

Stat. 347.36(1). Brakes on motor vehicles and brakes on combinations of vehicles shall be capable of bringing the vehicle or combination of vehicles to a stop, under normal conditions, within 50 feet when traveling at a speed of 20 miles per hour.

It would look really cool to tow a car with a car like you have in mind, but might not be the thing to do. Would your insurance company pay out if something went wrong?
Without brakes is the issue. Couldn't flat tow it but a trailer with brakes would be ok.