1962 2 door hardtop QB 409 with 3 speed

Bobg

I just purchased a 1962 hardtop with a numbers matching QB 409 and 3 on the tree . Has anyone heard of this combo? The car has been off the road since 1969. It was stored in a dry climate controlled garage. No moisture or rot. It looks like a “7 “ year old car. All casting numbers and date codes match. Second week of June build date.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
3 speed was standard trans, most were purchased with a 4 speed. No powerglide available with either 409 version that year.
I don't know the exact cost difference but hard to believe a few people were cheap enough to not pay for the 4 speed. I can't imagine a 409 with a 3 on the tree.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That's got to be a pretty rare combination. Dual quads, more than 400 horses and a three-on-the-tree. Knew it was possible, but have never seen one in person. I suspect that three speed was not the same Saginaw used in the lower horsepower V8s of that year.

Got pictures?

I bet the guys over in ChevyTalk would be interested in it's pedigree :).

Congrats!
TomK

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There was some debate on here about a heavy duty 3 speed that would have behind these early motors,if I remember correctly.Now's our chance to find out.Please :pray post pictures of that transmission as well as any numbers on it .

tenxal

Well Known Member
While I've never laid eyes on an original '62 409 with a 3 speed, it should be the standard 2.47:1 low, 1.53 second, trans....same as for the 327's. For what it's worth, I changed the clutch in a '63 409/340 station wagon with the three speed manual and it was this same trans.

Pretty amazing find, can't wait to see pics and hear more about it. :)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I would bet the car was ordered with a 4 speed but due to the shortage of BW transmissions the owner received a letter from GM stating that if he would accept a 3 speed transmission they could build the car asap but if he chose to wait they would build the car with a 4 speed but it could be months away. I know a couple of people who had 62 Impalas ordered and got that letter.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I would bet the car was ordered with a 4 speed but due to the shortage of BW transmissions the owner received a letter from GM stating that if he would accept a 3 speed transmission they could build the car asap but if he chose to wait they would build the car with a 4 speed but it could be months away. I know a couple of people who had 62 Impalas ordered and got that letter.

Yes Tommy, Took me 14 weeks to get my 62 with a 4 speed.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Also the early QB’s had some production holds for manifolds I believe A friend of mine had ordered a 380 one and they never did ship it so he had to wait for 63 production but he was tickled as it was 400 HP! Car is available with about 30,000 miles but I got too much going on!
Robert