1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Ok Cash,,,,,, it's only fitting that you now give us some picture's of your car ,instead of bad part's and piece's. :doh Engine ,interior , the work's !!!!:D

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ok Cash,,,,,, it's only fitting that you now give us some picture's of your car ,instead of bad part's and piece's. :doh Engine ,interior , the work's !!!!:D
Don't know if you want to see that or not. Kinda' makes some of us want to put ours in the garage and not bring 'em back out!!!!!!!!!

Lonnie

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yep, what they said^^^ I really like the white painted top I've never seen a bubbletop with two tone paint. I like the tallboy overflow too I have the same thing in mine:crazy Coors banquet.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Stan,
Did you paint your steering box?
Looks to be just cast and raw in the pics

Is that the way they were factory?

Steve

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
LMB RJQ I believe they were left raw from the factory, but I like to paint (cast color) on all parts that are left raw, to keep them from rusting. Not original but it looks nice, thanks. Looks like you have you have quite a collection of cars, I just happen to like the 59-60-61-62 bubble top roof lines, guess thats because I
graduated from HS in 1960, my first real car was a 57 Bel Air 4 dr Hardtop, I loved that car, except it had a 6 in it. Oh the memories. :winnerThis guy reminds
me of Nixon....hahhahaha

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Im still amazed at how quiet and smooth these engines run, and I can see how anyone can get a ticket driving these. I haven't really put it through its paces yet,
but am getting closer, I now have about 250 miles on it, its just great to drive, steering is solid and straight, shifts smooth, whines up great. If I were young
and had to pay for the gas, it would have to sit in the garage, 8 miles to the gallon, but who cars, the smiles are worth it. :burnout

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
A question for all you gear heads, Im having builders remorse, having built my 409 a couple
years ago, now thinking to morph it to a stroker motor. My question is can I use the motor
I have and what parts do I need to add. My block is a 62 QB block w/690 heads rebuilt,
using stock org. tappet parts, etc. 425 -63 cam, Ross pistons, stock 409 crank, stock connecting rods, 2x4- stock AFB carbs and manifold. Ideas would be helpful, thanks cash.:burnout

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Cash,Heads yes,cam and lifters,no.It will kill the potential gains that you'd get from the additional cubes to the point of being a waste of money.The stock exhaust will simularaly limiting,although not as much as the cam.The intake and carbs will be fine.[may need minor jetting changes].The good news is that other than a little clarencing for the 4 inch stroked crank and the longer rods.your engine is so fresh that it shouldn't need any machine work,your existing oil pump will be fine.I'd drop the compression to 10.5 ,and if you're running the 62 dual point distributer,change it to a 63-65 vacuum advance unit.A gasket set and a stroker kit[crank,rods,pistons,have that assembly balanced] and a cam change would be the minimum needed.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Don for the ideas, a stroker kit is a new crank, rods, pistons and cam. I do have stock exhaust headers but with cut/outs, then to stock 2- 1-2 " pipes. Im also running 4 Spd. with
3:73 pos. , but with stock old, maybe original axels. I have a friend that is running a 55 gasser type chevy, so it has me gotten me to itch a little for the 1/4 mile run.