1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
If I didn't know any better I would guess you guys all owned speed shops and were out to sell
me something. :brow

Now the rest of the story, my speedometer was working last summer, so I decided to find out why, tried the drill on the cable and it worked great, so I decided to take the gear off the tranny, that's where the story starts to get a little scary. I did get the rear part of the 4 Spd off.
but was having problems with the speed gear, not feeling safe with using a hand held torch, I tired almost everything else to get it off, you know the rookie tools, none worked. So.... the light came on... take the tranny out, it will be much easier to get the gear off. I did get it off
finally, now is where my final moment of brilliance came into play, I have these special thoughts quite often when working by myself. I wondered what it looked like inside that
tranny.....? :dunno :thinkFor the next 5 months my new friend Mr. 4 Spd and I were together daily. Need more to laugh at .?

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
One of the real reasons Im thinking of making more power is a grudge race with long time friend, who built most of my 409 for me. Well he has been building a special one of a handful, 7 I think. Its a 1967 Plymouth Belevedere II, 426 hemi, 2x4, auto car, number matching, georgeous car, light yellow, black interior with bench seat. This car was finished last year, and now its time to race. :burnout Oh to beat him would be something else.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Oh now that seat stab was low, but I am still laughing about it. As my friend say, you shouldn't even have a car, let alone work on one. :wacko Talked to Ray yesterday, he has the 62 wagon, 409, sounds like it might be best to see how this motor runs, before moving forward, it also sounds like it might be cheaper to buy a motor done or build a different one, seeing's how you guys have all the idea's. :think, and I"ll be asking for donations, also. Guess I'll make
a list and have you guys ck it out for me, that should be worth a laugh or two. We go to the
Bremerton Race Tract and haven't seen a 409 yet, 2 years now, guess there just to slow, as the
one moPar (Don) suggested. lol....

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If I didn't know any better I would guess you guys all owned speed shops and were out to sell
me something. :brow

Now the rest of the story, my speedometer was working last summer, so I decided to find out why, tried the drill on the cable and it worked great, so I decided to take the gear off the tranny, that's where the story starts to get a little scary. I did get the rear part of the 4 Spd off.
but was having problems with the speed gear, not feeling safe with using a hand held torch, I tired almost everything else to get it off, you know the rookie tools, none worked. So.... the light came on... take the tranny out, it will be much easier to get the gear off. I did get it off
finally, now is where my final moment of brilliance came into play, I have these special thoughts quite often when working by myself. I wondered what it looked like inside that
tranny.....? :dunno :thinkFor the next 5 months my new friend Mr. 4 Spd and I were together daily. Need more to laugh at .?
So did you get the speedometer gears replaced and working now????

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
And the answer is I haven't "had" the balls to start it up yet and test it. Not afraid to tear the tranny apart, but afraid to start it up to see it works, what a coward. I'll make a post as soon as I start it up probably tomorrow or Tuesday.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just buy that 61 Pontiac for sale in Barrie, its a nice colour and might give that hemi a bit of a run. You might need to paint the engine orange though?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The times he listed for the 61 Pontiac were 9.21 at 146 mph and the best of 9.06 and 148 mph . These times are listed under the engine build link, in the For Sale section.

My 62 Impala 4 speed 482 cubic inch/409 stroker without slicks and without a big rear end (fair amount tires spin...-to save the rear end) ran a best of 12.95 at 107 mph.
Paul

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
One of the real reasons Im thinking of making more power is a grudge race with long time friend, Its a 1967 Plymouth Belevedere II, 426 hemi, 2x4, auto car, number matching, georgeous car, ligot yellow, black interior with bench seat. This car was finished last year, and now its time to race. :burnout Oh to beat him would be something else.

I would pay to see that! Put a grand on the table and film the whole thing, then post it all here. Big port 409 vs. street hemi oh yeah:flag

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Put the the 9'r on jack stand this morning, shot a few ounces as gas in carbs, and it started right up, sound good.
I let it warm up , as I hadn't run it since changing oil and filter. I did run it thought the gear, the speedo... did not
work in lower rpm's, but when hitting around 3000 it did work, somewhat. Is that normal?.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Put the the 9'r on jack stand this morning, shot a few ounces as gas in carbs, and it started right up, sound good.
I let it warm up , as I hadn't run it since changing oil and filter. I did run it thought the gear, the speedo... did not
work in lower rpm's, but when hitting around 3000 it did work, somewhat. Is that normal?.
NO but just tell the police you
have to keep motor above 3000 rpm to have speedometer to work!!! :roll