1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
yes, it does push in and move where is a metal stop built into the housing for the speedometer gear to stop it, and hold it in place. It says in the manual to have the gear 4" away from the housing on the shaft, which mine is, but Im going to move it forward to the end of the machine section. There are also two types of gears, one a 1.84 @ .035 and a 1.84 @030
each of those takes a different size speedometer gear . When they are say .035 & .030 ?... is that the size around the main shaft? One is for a 27 spline, the other for a 32 spline. And I thought mine was a 10 spine..... dang...:doh

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Muncie, 10 spline input, 27 spline output.
16 spline input, 32 spline output. My pre 1965 Muncie is a M20, with 10/27 splines.I have learned more about Muncie 4 speeds in the last month that I ever wanted to know.

ozzie7

Well Known Member
..... I've had the gear on the shaft in the rear position, sort of in the middle, now iM going to move it forward to the end of the machined portion....
Check out this video.
Starting at about the 7 minutes 30 seconds mark, Paul talks about the correct position of the speedo gear on the shaft based on # of splines and if the speedo cable is on the passenger or drivers side of the transmission.
Muncie Tips

Last edited:

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
One last time of taking it apart, we moved the gear to the end of the machine section, it looks good, and lines up with the speedometer gear, hears hoping. going to put it back in today. Thank for the many suggestions and idea's.:good

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Onto the next fix on the car, has anyone with 2x4's ever taken your car to a dyno to have the carb's tuned for
a better performance. Mine just seem to run to rich, and of course my carb experience is not good, I just thought
that a dyno tunning shop might be a good way to have them set.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Dyno tuning is generally only accurate at wide open throttle settings,but if you're in fact a bit rich,then the tuning can help with some of your part throttle issues as well.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Latest update on speedometer....:furious, re-installed tranny, moved speed gear, and installed 21 speedometer gear,
yep..... still no speedometer. I have since put in a 24 gear, will try this today, if it doesn't work, it will be up for SALE..:roll

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
My carbs, are AFB org. carter's, rebuilt, but not by a Professional, fuel pump runs at 5 pounds. 92 oct. 43s spark.
dual point 919 dist. The reason I was thinking of the Dyno, I thought they could tell If I need different jetting, I guess
if i were around guys that were 409'ers, they could probably, walk me through this. Just another thing to learn about.
Thanks, for listening. I do appreciate the help, and the forum. cash:salute

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
There is no reason for the Speedo not to work if the gear is engaging. If everything is lined up, like the gear on the shaft is centered on the Speedo hole and still not working then your insert assembly is too short or not seated, you do have the locking bar engaged in the slot in the insert piece.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
yes, its in there and seated, im wondering if by chance I have bought a speedometer cable that is to short, that is that is that it doesn't isn't quite not enough to engage far enough into both places. I measured my old one, 58.5 " long.
Im not sure about the new one, Im going to take it out and measure it.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Which bullet are you using on speedo cable?? With the bullet on and engaging the plastic gear on the end ( either one) can you make speedo work with drill running counter clockwise. .?? Can you post a picture on the the bulleti on cable?? Changing gear ratios on speedo cable won't make it work or not work. It only calibrates speedometer to be accurate driving speed. I am thinking your bullet is not connected inside, maybe ,maybe not.

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Latest update on speedometer....:furious, re-installed tranny, moved speed gear, and installed 21 speedometer gear,
yep..... still no speedometer. I have since put in a 24 gear, will try this today, if it doesn't work, it will be up for SALE..:roll
I'm sending you a check for $2500 Stan. Let me know after it clears and then We'll schedule our trip up!!!!!!!!!!!