1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Sorry Phil , Don , sold it for 3350. At least I won't have to worry about that F'n speedo any more.
I do have a serious question though, how much beer is required to be drank, before, quitting on a project?, one case,
5 cases, I'm up to a small trailer now, and the added aspirin is killing me. Took out the new speedometer cable, today,
65.5 " long, installed old one, original I think, gray hard rubber one, 58.5", Took it for a drive, oh, first went to the store
and bought a six pack of 16oz... Rainier.... beeeeerrrr....... well..... the speedooooo.... didn't move. Im wondering if
when I ordered the last speed drive gear they sent me the right one, 8, and can you install that the wrong way, so it turns
different. Im starting to wonder if I really need a speedometer?....:rub heck, all I do is go around the block to see if it works, then drive it back into the garage. It does get good mileage that way.

Last edited:

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
62 caynbe409, thanks for the post, but I have no idea of what. your talking about. I really am not a motor man, just love
cars, if it were''nt for friends, I'd be in so much trouble, but thats for the words of help.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With the speedo gear installed, turn the rear wheels and see if the gear is turning. If it’s turning, what you have inside the transmission is working- or not. Do this with help and no more than 2 or 3 beer each. Report back.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Sorry Phil , Don , sold it for 3350. At least I won't have to worry about that F'n speedo any more.
I do have a serious question though, how much beer is required to be drunk, before, quitting on a project?, one case,
5 cases, I'm up to a small trailer now, and the added aspirin is killing me. Took out the new speedometer cable, today,
65.5 " long, installed old one, original I think, gray hard rubber one, 58.5", Took it for a drive, oh, first went to the store
and bought a six pack of 16oz... Rainier.... beeeeerrrr....... well..... the speedooooo.... didn't move. Im wondering if
when I ordered the last speed drive gear they sent me the right one, 8, and can you install that the wrong way, so it turns
different. Im starting to wonder if I really need a speedometer?....:rub heck, all I do is go around the block to see if it works, then drive it back into the garage. It does get good mileage that way.
It sounds like you are beyond help today....:bong:crazy

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Pull the speedometer cable loose from the speedometer and hang it down from under the dash so you can observer the end of the cable.
Now go drive it and watch the cable to see if it is spinning, if it is try and pinch the spinning cable to make it stop, if it stops in my not be engaged far enough in the driven speedometer gear or that gear may be stripped out.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Stick in only bullet with speedometer gear on it . Turn drive shaft by hand in neutral stick a small screwdriver in the other end that will fit square drive at end of bullet,. Does it turn?????

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I have found that the factory jetting is way too rich on the factory carbs .. i would get a couple of Edlebrock " strip kits " and start working with changing the metering rods to a larger diameter ( leans out the mixture ) You should also get a dial caliper to measure the rods diameter . The 62 service manual has the rod and jet sizes in the carb specs .... BTW: the rods are usually 2 steps , the larger is the cruise portion and when the vacuum drops under acceleration the spring raises the rod into the power position ( richer ) The power piston springs could also be too strong , keeping the vacuum from pulling the power piston and rod into the cruise or lean portion of the metering rod .. This can be done w/o removing the carb top ..... Hope this helps , :dunno2
Denny

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I can't remember reading this but have you checked to make sure the speedo drive gear is not spinning on the transmission output shaft? Were you able to look into the speedo driven gear hole in the tail housing to make sure the driven gear is centered in the hole as previously mentioned?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I have found that the factory jetting is way too rich on the factory carbs .. i would get a couple of Edlebrock " strip kits " and start working with changing the metering rods to a larger diameter ( leans out the mixture ) You should also get a dial caliper to measure the rods diameter . The 62 service manual has the rod and jet sizes in the carb specs .... BTW: the rods are usually 2 steps , the larger is the cruise portion and when the vacuum drops under acceleration the spring raises the rod into the power position ( richer ) The power piston springs could also be too strong , keeping the vacuum from pulling the power piston and rod into the cruise or lean portion of the metering rod .. This can be done w/o removing the carb top ..... Hope this helps , :dunno2
Denny
You gotta listen to this man Stan, he might get your front wheels off the ground!!!:poke:D

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Just finished re-setting the value lash, hope it starts and I haven't done any damage, with my great
mechanic skills, I'm almost to afraid to start it.:back:shock2
Thanks for the idea's on the carbs, I will take that advise, and get the Edelbrock info.
Im about to take another dive under the beast, for a couple of your guy's suggestions on speedo trouble's,
you know I might just get a used one, and set it on the seat next to me......:roll I'm off the beer now,
onto "doughnut's.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Sick of this blog yet? new update, jacked it up, did as DonSSDD said, the speedometer gear did turn when I spun the wheels, but when I hooked it back up.... no work, at the speedometer end, I did have it running on car jacks, in 2 nd gear, not fast, but it showed no movement. I did Call Williamsons Instruments to get some advice, he did say he would call me.
Oh... I did start the beast up today, and it ran great, I was quite surprised. Im going to do some research on the carbs as
suggested, as my buddy Barry as his 409 on the engine stand ready to start soon, so he'd like as much info as possible too.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
This sounds like a bad crimp at the speedo end of the cable.The cables have the square end of the cable at the transmission end of the cable,but the speedo end is crimped on.If it's not crimped properly.it'll slip causing the speedo not to work.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Now you know what is inside the tranny is working.
Connect the Speedo cable end to the tranny and push the cable at the speedometer end into the transmission and turn the cable until it is locked on (like 2 dogs :winner). Then you turn the back wheels again and see if the cable is turning, it should be if it locked into the transmission.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Cash: Can you reach up behind the dash, and turn the speedometer nipple, by hand? :dunnoIf you can, does the needle move? :dunno2 Someone, may have asked this before. I'm late, to the party:rolleyes

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks for asking Skipxt4k, I do like the nipple idea, but no the needle does not move. Im decided to take the
speedometer out and send it the Dr. for surgery. I was thinking of just giving it a shot to put it out of it's misery,
but then where would i be, same place. thanks all for the great advise, like they say, if you keep doing things the same
way, and it doesn't work, then only a fool keeps doing it the same way. :crazy