1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I think there is a forum for Joke's , been working on the shifter, finally got it to work in
1st and 2nd and reverse.... Happy Stan.! but wait? No 3rd or 4th. I guess you could
call it a 3-speed. Well yesterday a friend came down and was tired of me trying with
little success. So we worked on it for most of the afternoon, I think we have it?. Im about
to take it for a test drive. Maybe? I should call AAA for extra pickup protection.:dance

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I think there is a forum for Joke's , been working on the shifter, finally got it to work in
1st and 2nd and reverse.... Happy Stan.! but wait? No 3rd or 4th. I guess you could
call it a 3-speed. Well yesterday a friend came down and was tired of me trying with
little success. So we worked on it for most of the afternoon, I think we have it?. Im about
to take it for a test drive. Maybe? I should call AAA for extra pickup protection.:dance
Nah,just replace it with a 700r4 and be done with it.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Success is a sweet thing, hard to come by, but I guess that's the way its suppose to be.
Went for that ride today, shifted like Butter... all 4 gears, happy happy happy. :love Now, next project is upgrading turn signals from the cable system to the 63 impala system.
How will you change signals to 63???

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Getting the CASHguzzler409 for the long trip out East, should be an adventure. I have fixed a few things on her, changed the turned signal system from 62 type to a 63 system now they work great. She's running better than ever. Im now in the process of putting
air bags in the rear coils, and borrowed a pair of slicks from a friend, we'll see what I can
brake at Onawa. Hoping for a great time, and meeting all the guys on the forum and more.
Should take me 3-4 days to get there, depending on how much beer I drink at night. :beer
Sure hope you guys give me some racing tips, as I've only been down the track a few times. Don't even know how to do a burn out, or is it ? im burned out?... anyways, see you there. stan

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Haven't wrote much in the last year or so, my car wasn't ready for the trip back to Iowa,
so I drove by myself, had a great time at the track, meeting and enjoy the guys, their cars, visiting Paul's super villa and the wonderful dinner and awards. After getting back home I had a hot rod moment, while changing from stock 2x4 air cleaner, to 2 small ones, I must
have dropped a small washer into the manifold. So when out driving one day, yep... it got
sucked down and through the valve and put a whole in the head about the size of your little finger nail. Bent a couple of push rods, but was luck that it didn't mess up the walls.
Had the head removed and fixed, and its almost ready to start again. Im looking forward
to going to the Show and Race at Pacific Raceway in May 21-22, as its close by, only 35 miles from me. Hope everything stays in place, and it runs well.
Oh, I have parted out my 62 Impala SS now, like I said before, I think I will make more money parting it out, than selling it whole, and I was right. Maybe I'll see some of you
at the May Meet. stan:good

Richard Fox

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Oh crap! But at least ya told people about it. Pretty sure you're not the only one to drop some little piece of @#$^# and either had to spend hours tearing stuff down and then jump up and down on the @#$@@ itty bitty part. Sorry it caused the damage but glad you are good to go!

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks guys for the tears, its always good to make sure that you have all the parts, that you took off , no matter how small, that way you know their not somewhere they shouldn't be. A good lesson when taking things apart for us beginners.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
This year there have a race at Pacific Raceway in Kent Wa. so I won't be making the trip
1600 miles back to Iowa, but it was a good time. I've never had the Guzzler down the
1/4 mile, I guess I did in Kentucky, but that doesn't count. So it will be nice to see how it
performs. I'll definitely take my trailer just in case I have to?. lol. I have a friend that just finished a 63 425 hp. that Im hoping to get him to take, he and I are bragging about who's car is the fastest?....lol. His is stock, with 4:11 gears, cheater slicks, mine is 62 409-409- .30 over, roller rocker cam, 3:73 with rear air bags, both 4 speeds. Should be fun, he's really believing he's going to kick my ass. I guess its, time to see. First one across the line wins. Any bets?....

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
You going to this 409 race ? under the events

Pacific Raceways, Kent, WA May 20/21/22 2022​