1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well , !... I got my new rollers, I got the new rockers, I got my Jack Gibbs High Hp Camshafters, and the 2x4's up toppers, 4 spd down under, and my pipes wide open, I got a song about my 409, so lets hear it, she's so sweat"She's my 409 and I don't plan on being beat.! Don't be scared, Bring it on down, come along, see you at Pacific NW. .:guitar:pepper Cash

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Got started on removing the stock exhaust manifolds yesterday, the passenger side
had cracked again, so I decided to go with Sanderson Headers, they really look great, and hopefully, they will seal all the exhaust leaks. Im also replacing the clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing. I bought new 7" slicks and will try too run it down the track after another tune up, hoping to find out the true power of the beast. There's a Show and Drag Race at Woodburn Oregon on the last week of June, might go to that.
I hear there are some 409's running down there also.

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Stan: Sounds as if you are really getting it together & plan on doing some serious racing. With everything that you described I think you will be in the 12's with no problem. Woodburn is a great track & that is a fun event. I use to go to it every year but haven't been there lately & can't make it this year. There are some 409 racers there(at least there were in the past). If you go & meet any of the guys tell them I said hello. They are a helpful group. Take care & have fun.

Joel

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Joel, My friend Dino and Dennis have a 56 race truck that they are taking down to Woodburn, so I might tag along. It should run in the low 10's. Dennis has a 55 chev 2dr post car with a Dino motor built for racing also, in the same class.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
As usual I bought the manifold pipes that go with the Sanderson's Headers thinking that they would fit into the stock 409 mufflers. NOT. So Dino had to fabricate them from the pieces I bought, welding, matching up the curves, etc. they really turned out great, and should be an asset to the breathing of the engine. Next is the installation of the new clutch and all the parts. We will make sure this time that the bell housing is line up right, also I went with a new smaller starter, it makes it much easier to get at everything on that side. Can't wait to hear how it sounds when it's done.:dance3

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Upgrade project finished yesterday. New Headers, pipes, small starter, new clutch pressure plate, throw out bearing, flywheel resurfaced, replaced rear u-joint, replaced steering shaft, had head crack fixed and rebuilt, adjusted and fixed anything we found not to are liking. The clutch is now as smooth as butter, runs hard, but l take a while to break in clutch. The Sanderson Headers are really nice, fit is great, only problem was the pipes running to the mufflers that I bought from Sanderson's really didn't fit, so Dino, cut them up and welded many pieces, to make the bends. They look great now, no leaks, quiet. What really surprised me was the amount of HEAT, that was lost
because of the headers, must be 20-30 degree's cooler under hood.
Well it great to have a friend that helps with a project that I couldn't do.
It will be a great Summer now that my 409 is BACK and BETTER. :dance

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
This one is for Phil, he'll get a laugh out of it. I have a habit of picking up old carbs, exhaust manifolds, distributors, etc at swap meets. So I have have been
selling parts off my 62 SS car, and a guy calls and want to know if I have any WCFB carbs for sale. Well I do, so I tell him about the one I have, its been rebuilt, but the Bakelite choke part has been broken. I wanted 400.00 for it. Haven't heard back from him. So I know you can buy these, but as most of us, PHIL, included, would much rather hunt for a cheaper one, free would be great. So I ask my buddies, no.. they don't have any choke parts. So I go the my old time friend thats into racing now, and he just bought 4 engines, and one was a 69 Camaro 302 complete. So I ask him, about the choke part?. he's says, well! lets go look,
He has a parts bin out beside his house, covered, very nice. And there sits a nice
AFB complete carb, with the Choke housing. I said, that's thats just what I need, he said, take it. So... off I go. I do offer to pay him... 20.00 bucks.. beings Im cheap. NO... no.. he say's. I take it home. And it one dirty dog. I start to clean it
up and I notice its got the number on the bottom of the base....! Bingo....
3460s... 1963 Corvette 300hp manual shift carb. For FREE.... I know what your think, right now. I've know my friend since 1965.... ? We roomed together when we both were getting a divorce in the early 70's. !

Well...? Im thinking..... what would PHIL do...? LETS take a poll...
I say Phil would call up his buddy and say, guess what? Im bring back your 63 carb .:think What say the rest of you?....

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Another Laugh for you guys for the CASHguzzler, after upgrading engine with headers, new clutch , removal of cutouts, I decided to remove all the wiring of the cutouts from engine side and Underdash area? Not a big problem in engine compartment. Under dash was about six ft. of wrap up wiring, the button I used was plugged into the cigerette lighter, so it was a spiders nest. My thoughts were to save the wiring from the cutouts to sell with the cutouts. NOT smart thinking. So to get it untangled I snipped a few of the dash light wires, instead of just cutting the fu....king cutout wire. What a mess I got myself into. Well as you know try to get a 80 year old body
and big hands up into and under the dash, trying to connect wires is ? well....2 weeks of HELL for me.
But I did get it done. and yesterday took the Bitch for a ride, how sweet, all gauges work, turn signals work, break lights work. My back, doesn't seem to work as well... but life goes on.:mock

Just a note to Joel and the racing fans, Dino and Dennis took the truck to Woodburn and ran a 11.2 and this next
Friday we are going back down and are going to see if they can't break into the 10's. Good luck Joel on your
race in OHIO.