1962 Bubbletop old school look not valuable

Welcome in, Bubbatop ( THAT'S hilarious:roll :roll )....

I like lowered. I like big power. I like psycho paint. I like chrome. I like anti-sway bars, cornering, hard braking. I've even warmed up to a nicely done overdrive-automatic transmission...
but in the name of all that is HOLY.... I can't get past these 20 inch wheels:bang :bang

Just a IMAGINE a set of 16 X 8 / 16 X 10 , custom offset, polished two-piece Torque Thrusts, wrapped in 245 & 275 50 16's :beerbang :beerbang

ooooooh YEAH !!!!!!

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
There is way too much NEGATIVE mojo in this thread.

I for one like the cars both stock, and custom. I was serious about buying that black 62 with the big wheels that everybody else here seems to dislike. The price 4 years ago was $35,000. A couple years later I bought my red 62 BA 409 (clone) car that was very stock appearing.

A lot of you guys have blinders on, and can only see the cars that are done the way you like them. The fact is, no matter how many smilies and shouting you do, does not mean that your opinion is the right one or the most important one either. there also seems to be some sort of mob mentality that if all of you that have the same opinon get together to shout it out louder that it must mean that is the only correct opinion because there are more of you saying the exact same thing.

The only cars you have any real say over are the ones that belong to you.

There is a market for both Stock and modified cars. and to be honest sometimes it is not the quality of the car that brings the money, it is how well it is presented. You need to find the correct market for your application, and then market to the right people who are going to get excited about your particular car. MARKETING, MARKETING, MARKETING. Get out there with a "get'er done" attitude and be in the right places.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is way too much NEGATIVE mojo in this thread.

I for one like the cars both stock, and custom. I was serious about buying that black 62 with the big wheels that everybody else here seems to dislike. The price 4 years ago was $35,000. A couple years later I bought my red 62 BA 409 (clone) car that was very stock appearing.

A lot of you guys have blinders on, and can only see the cars that are done the way you like them. The fact is, no matter how many smilies and shouting you do, does not mean that your opinion is the right one or the most important one either. there also seems to be some sort of mob mentality that if all of you that have the same opinon get together to shout it out louder that it must mean that is the only correct opinion because there are more of you saying the exact same thing.

The only cars you have any real say over are the ones that belong to you.

There is a market for both Stock and modified cars. and to be honest sometimes it is not the quality of the car that brings the money, it is how well it is presented. You need to find the correct market for your application, and then market to the right people who are going to get excited about your particular car. MARKETING, MARKETING, MARKETING. Get out there with a "get'er done" attitiude and be in the right places.

droptop, Well said...:clap :clap :clap

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree with droptop also. I rarely comment on the appearance of a car in a negative way. Everyone has an opinion and this being an open forum, everyone has a right to comment. I, too, like em all. Enjoy seeing a restored correct car and enjoy seeing a radical custom. There is room for everybody and everybody has a right to express their opinion but keep an open mind. Hey, I got a 4dr car, I expect a little bashing, no problem, I got thick skin too. :beerbang

61BISCAYNE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
How boring would our hobby be if we all had the same likes and dislikes?

No Chevy vs. Ford
No big block vs. small block
No horsepower vs. torque
No American vs. import
No old school vs. high tech

These are all differences in preference that add to the fun of our obsession.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome in, Bubbatop ( THAT'S hilarious:roll :roll )....

I like lowered. I like big power. I like psycho paint. I like chrome. I like anti-sway bars, cornering, hard braking. I've even warmed up to a nicely done overdrive-automatic transmission...
but in the name of all that is HOLY.... I can't get past these 20 inch wheels:bang :bang

Just a IMAGINE a set of 16 X 8 / 16 X 10 , custom offset, polished two-piece Torque Thrusts, wrapped in 245 & 275 50 16's :beerbang :beerbang

ooooooh YEAH !!!!!!

That's what is so nice about wheels, they're easy to change!

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't care for the looks of the 20 inch wheel but looking at it from a practicle standpoint I would guess you can get more rubber under the rear without dropping the shocks or letting the air out to get them past the wheel well. I am thinking about using a set of 16 inch Torque Thrust wheels on my 63 Biscayne. Aubrey do you know for sure that the 16X8 and 16X10 will fit without any other modifications or problems?

Bill

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't care for the looks of the 20 inch wheel but looking at it from a practicle standpoint I would guess you can get more rubber under the rear without dropping the shocks or letting the air out to get them past the wheel well. I am thinking about using a set of 16 inch Torque Thrust wheels on my 63 Biscayne. Aubrey do you know for sure that the 16X8 and 16X10 will fit without any other modifications or problems?

Bill

They will fit with the correct Back spacing...:brow

Yes Bill, they fit.
You'll need a 5" back spacing on the 10" wheels, and 4" on the 8" wheels.

I'm going to "cool it" in this thread... don't want to be regarded an "ignitionman" of wheels:p

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes Bill, they fit.
You'll need a 5" back spacing on the 10" wheels, and 4" on the 8" wheels.

I'm going to "cool it" in this thread... don't want to be regarded an "ignitionman" of wheels:p

That is ok Aubrey...:roll :roll :roll We know what your like...:deal

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
disc brakes

hi if you running disc brakes on front or rear or plan to upgrade in future your off set will be different and if planing in future make sure you get the right wheel size to to fit over caliper and rotor no sence in buying them twice :doh :doh :doh :)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
How boring would our hobby be if we all had the same likes and dislikes?

No Chevy vs. Ford
No big block vs. small block
No horsepower vs. torque
No American vs. import
No old school vs. high tech

These are all differences in preference that add to the fun of our obsession.

What ,,, no Ramblers???????:doh :dunno

Attachments

• blurr girl.jpg
    blurr girl.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 71

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Gabriel

Thanks for the advise but I probably will run drum brakes and most of the time it will probably have factory wheels on the car.

Bill

way2lo2

Learned the hard way if your going to do a frame-off resto start with a bling bling approach and double your dollars at sale time. The original, or American Graffiti look is apparently "old school" or out dated. The big bucks (most likely from high paying sports stars and rappers) are bringing bank when you go to sell it. Sad.

Not really......this black 62 that you consider "bling bling" car was once mine 7 years ago and has changed hands 4 times that I know of and each owner kept investing in the car to personalize it to their taste. I don't know that there was a 100k invested in the car by the current owner, but between what I had in it and the other owners had, I'm sure its over 100k. As far as rap stars and athletes....not even close...I've had some nice cars that sold for a good buck.......guess what, all were sold to guys in their 50's and 60's. Your car should have sold 10x for the price I'm just wondering if there is more to your car then the pictures show?
I did see it sold one of the times that it was listed. Was it a deadbeat bidder?

way2lo2

Yes, I am. The specific fact is that the Black / Red bling bling car is at 65K with a reserve of 100K. My black / red car never reached over 44K. Not that I ever got into the restroation to make money - I have over 15 years and over 44K invested in it, but just for discussion, are 20 inch wheels and a crate motor with hydraulic suspension worth 40 thousand more dollars? Apparently so. Unless, and no way to prove it, but must be questioned - is whether the bids placed are for real.

I just think you restore the way you want it to be and that's what I did - however, will never understand that the easy way of a crate motor and some oversize chrome wheels would cause a car to be worth 40 thousand more $$$.

That's all.

Hydraulic suspensions on ebay are like Kryptonite to Superman, good luck getting anyone to bid on your car. This car has an air suspension not unlike many EXPENSIVE LUXURY cars and SUVs made today. I don't know that these items would make YOUR car worth 40k more but if your car is equally as nice as the "bling bling" car, I would think just a modern suspension, brake and wheel upgrade and 60k is not out of the question. How is a crate motor and big wheels any easier then a stock motor and steel wheels...I don't get your point.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Learned the hard way if your going to do a frame-off resto start with a bling bling approach and double your dollars at sale time. The original, or American Graffiti look is apparently "old school" or out dated. The big bucks (most likely from high paying sports stars and rappers) are bringing bank when you go to sell it. Sad.

Ever since I was an ankle biter I dreamt of one day owning a peice of Chevrolet drag racing history, the most influential (just my opinion) Chevy EVER, a 1962 409/409 Bubbletop. To me the shape of the car looks like its doing 100mph just standing still!!!!!!!!!

With a lot of luck, many years later this dream became a reality. The thought of selling or cashing in on my 409 Bubbletop just doesn't compute. If your in it to just make money then maybe you should be wheeling and dealing on another site. I realise every body has an opinion and we are all in it for our own different reasons,......................but when making money becomes the priorety.........talk to my hand. Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

chevytaylor

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
i have build two 62 now and i think my 2 nd one is 100 times better then my first
there is always something that you wished you did different after the build is done so if someone comes along and wants it more then you $$$$$$$ then they should own it i will be honest i have more fun building them :doh :) :dunno :doh :doh :doh

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
i have build two 62 now and i think my 2 nd one is 100 times better then my first
there is always something that you wished you did different after the build is done so if someone comes along and wants it more then you $$$$$$$ then they should own it i will be honest i have more fun building them :doh :) :dunno :doh :doh :doh

Point taken............I suppose at the end of the day........... everything is potentially for sale. :)