1st ANNUAL 348-409.com CONVENTION

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
CONVENTION

Sorry I wasn't able to get back last Sunday night. Had to rush out...if any of you saw the football game on ESPN Sunday night...you saw my wife and I in the stands. We were the ones in the red coats!!!!!!!! MY Kansas City Chiefs are 8 and 0!!!!!!!! We are really excited about hopefully being in Houston Feb. 1!!!!!!!! That's a whole different subject.

I think we need to address something here before we go too far. We need a agreement of what is to be expected for the convention. If we are to proceed with any plans, I feel we need to decide what we really want.

Please go back to my original post and note what I said under the Premise part. I got the feeling after reading all the posts, that the most important thing was to get together to meet each other and see the cars. Anyone who was, or was not a member, is welcome as long as they had an interest in the 348-409 engines or had a vehicle with a 348-409 engine. As the owner of a mail-order business, a MAJOR drawback is that you don't get to meet more than 5% of your customers. As you develop friendships, it's hard not wanting to get to meet each other face to face. I can see this happening already here. Look at the posts; Bob has to be here, does Aubrey really think he can't be here, does TomK really use those big words in everyday conversation, everyone wants to see Roy when he pees in his pants.....it goes on and on. As I stated, there are many of the members I would love to have time to meet and talk with. This proposed get-together IS ALL ABOUT THE PEOPLE AND THEIR CARS. It will be a 3 day event especially for us.

Now, having said that, we need to decide what we really want. But we need to address what Michael (tmracing62) has posted. I know he has been a valued and trusted member of this forum for a long time. I have not. He has experience on putting on a "car show". I do not. But there are major differences in these 2 perspectivies. The proposal is for big corporate sponsors and possible media coverage. If we have a 3 day event....one day at the hotel and another day at the track, I can't imagine any beer sponser who would want a split venue. And are their additional liabilities if beer is sold at the event? And this is my own personal thought....I don't care if 20,000 people show up. It will only detract us from what we are wanting to do.....meet and get to know each other for the first time. From what I have seen posted here, that is the main goal of this event. After we get this thing off and running, maybe we could attract more sponsors. As far as sponsors are concerned, I would be more comfortable approaching some of the manufacturers that we buy from to help. They would had a more vested interest in our event.

Michael's success with his event, as I see it, was predicated on 3 main things: the car show is probably the same time every year, there is a direct and immediate benefit to the local merchants for hosting the event, and with "everyone" welcome to participate...the show continues to grow. You can see by the picture that it is successful. But it has to have all local people show up to grow. We are a national club and don't have that capability. I don't feel that we can offer those 3 things to any city or sponser. In fact, with the possibility of this event being moved around to different parts of the country, that might be to our benefit also.

Michael suggested speakers.......that should not be a problem. We can try to arrange for a meeting room in the hotel. Certainly Lamar would be welcome as any person who would want to put on a seminar on a subject that would be of interest to us. Aubrey could put on one about his pistons and rearends!! And I'm sure a swap meet is possible also.

Having said all this, there was not any intention on my part to direct anything at Michael personally for his idea. In fact, many of you may have the same idea. If so, let it be known now. Jump in and let us know.

I have some new information on KCIR drag strip. But this post is too long so I'll start another one.

Phil

kbc409nova

Supporting Member 1
In My Opinion

Phil
What I would want most is a simple get together to meet each other. While all the people you had mentioned as to paying them for coming are highly thought of, I would much rather meet Bob, Aubrey,DQ, Fred, Wrench and all the other members of this group. I think for a first time we need to keep it simple , then expand on it in future years. While I have not been much of a contributor here, everybody seems like family that I have not met. I've
read these posts 2-3 times a day for the last 2 yrs. and have become quite attached . We all have the same thing in common, ( A passion for the W motor ).
Whatever is decided I will be there. I would also like the drag racing .
Kevin
:D :D :D :D :D

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil - I didn't take it personally or as dissing my thoughts. No problem. :D By the way, could you post how to get in touch with your business? I'd like to get those mirrors.

----

The problem with writing everything out is we are brainstorming, but most of us really don't know each other even though it feels like we do. Well, we know Roy pees his pants, but other than that it's just words on a page with no immediate feedback.

The objective is to get together. Period. And ditto me for kbc409nova. That's what's important and certainly enough. So maybe we just do that and no more. I'd be very happy with that. KC or Pittsburg, September four day weekend, racing, cruises, a parking lot show and being together would be plenty. And the member bikes should be there too. I want to see Harley Knight's ride up close and get scared. Then I can pee too.

It all changes if we want to have guests and speakers. That costs money most of the time. It's going to be uncool if we can't afford to pay them if paid participant attendance is not what we predict. Weather and all sorts of things can influence that. Hence a sponsor to help meet any financial obligations we might incur. And this is the bottom line for me - if we promise something to our speakers and guests, we keep that promise no matter what. It would be great if car related sponsors could be found. They are the hardest of all to get to back a show. They usually offer a rusty clutch and some water neck gaskets or a gift certificate. Really. It's rare, but not impossible, to be taken seriously even when you have a show that would benefit them greatly.

A beer sponsor has the pockets to contribute meaningfully. That's why I would try there first. And as long as we could get a liquor permit, there are no legal/liability issues unless we break the local rules. But sponsors want not only participants, but attendees. And that means getting the word out. And now we are in the whole complicated get-together-turned-business routine. If we can pay the people we want there for sure, I would be greatly relieved not to have to do the rest.

I tend to plan for the maximum on anything and then work back. It doesn't matter if it's possible or affordable to begin with. Just define the idea and then find a way if possible to make it happen. You don't always get what you want, but you usually get/accomplish more than you thought. That's what you're hearing from me and I know it can sound extreme. No offense or pushiness or arrogance meant.

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Let's just get together for four days and have as much fun as possible. We can handle that. If we even want to have another event after four days together, we can discuss it over dinner then.

So for now, let's nail down when and where and be there.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK,,,So here is my proposal !!!

I thing we can agree that Phil and TM are the likely canidates for a leadership role in putting this together,,,posibily toss in Tom !!

So,,,,I believe what needs to be done is the three of them talk on phone or email and work out what needs to be done ,when,where and how,,,

Then come bak to the forum with a plan,,,

This is getting out of hand,,,kinda,,,with all the long post,,,

I think we all can agree that we just want to get together BS,,race and cruz !!

The entrance fee of $100 is cool and we do need to have a few speakers,,,

We all want to meet and pick their heads too!
A cormenerating trophy, and tee shirt are musts,,,

So you three start talking and get back to us with an outline,,

I`ll help in any way ,,, but we need others closer to the event site to stand up also,,,,

LETS GET GOING !!!!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
PS,,,,
Once we pick a time and place things will fall in order,,,

Then we can post a flyer on line that we can copy and print to hand out at the local level,,,,,,,360+ members in how many cities?

I will be willing to advertize in the reginal Cruze mags,,,Like Drive time and Cruz-In,,,,

Also send out media kits to all the car mags,,,

,,,,dq

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
dq - okay with me as long as you do all the heavy lifting when we get to the show.

Tom and Phil - how ever you want to work out communicating if you want to do it this way.

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My thoughts on the subject are quite simple. Just that. A simple get together to meet all the wacky yet knowledgable board members. A drag strip is a great idea too. I know I'll make at least one pass. Major speakers/guests would be a nice bonus but I think we should concentrate on year one first. No sponsers. No speakers. No over the top extravegant anything. Just a simple get together. If 500 w-motor cars show up then year two will definately be different. KC and 3rd weekend in Sept. is perfect. My 2 cents. Bungy

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Party Time

For what it's worth. I would like to see a few speakers, if possible. Especially Hayden Proffitt. Would be 39 years since I last saw him. Reasoning??????????? We are all getting older. Don't believe in waiting any more. Sometimes you put off doing something, or wait till next year, and something happens and next year doesn't come anymore. Not just us, happens to them, too. I personally would chip in to get Hayden there, but my reasons are selfish. I want to see him again. Like Phil said, it's hard for him to travel, because his wife isn't well. I have heard Dyno isn't real well. At our ages, things happen, and quick. I know, some of you are pretty young yet. Some of us aren't. Let's do what we can. When and where don't matter to me. Let's just do it.

Thanks

Fred

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Wow, I 'm just reading this for the first time. Here's my opinion if it means anything :) I'd like to meet the famous guys too, but at $100+ it just wouldn't fly for me.:( I was getting so excited until that punch line. I'm not into beer anymore and don't like promoting it. I really just want to meet you guys and I'd love a chance to run the 348 down the track just for fun! Like Kevin and Bungy I'd rather just have a small get together. I'd be there for sure if the price was less and it wasn't a big hoopla. It's 743 miles and that's not a problem at all. I'll let you guys figure it all out and then make the decision. NUT

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I`m with Fred,,,,,

I think you can keep it simple and have the extras like speakers.

Yes,,,,we can build on the years to come ,,but,,,, if you don`t have a draw the first year it will be hard to get people to come and return.

To draw car owners with the likes of Hayden and Lamar, Aubrey and the Schaffer Bro`s and their several trailers of "W" engines being there should be sometning to work on,,,,

Simple does not mean empty,,,,,:deal

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It must be working !!!!!

No news is good new !!!

I still think "Hooters" would be a great sponsor !!! heee heeeee

Gonna open one in Portland very soon !!! See ya there !!! Might be there so offten might get my name on my chair !!! LOL

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We couldn't do better than Phil to pull this thing together. He's a very nice guy and really enthused about this. He's taken all the suggestions and ideas we've come up with and made a very workable plan. His contacts and ideas and the fact that he's in KC make this possible. I'll leave it to him to explain, but for now: KC, Thursday through Sunday mid September 2004, racing, celeb(s) and speakers, nice sounding T-shirt, interesting event trophy, banquet, plenty of time together to bench race, cruise and so on. My concern was not enough interest, his is too many cars. After talking to him, it sounds like he's right. You'll be getting more for your $100 than you could spend it for anywhere else on anything else.

That's the general idea or close at this time. This is going to be great.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Guys and gals $100 for a several day event is not that bad. I've spent $35 on a 2 day car show where all I did was park my car and sit in a lawn chair for 2 days. A day at the drags will cost you at least $40. Heck let's make it $99.95 and that doesn't sound like it is so much. We've got to make this happen,next Sept. we have got to be in KC and there needs to be at least a couple hundred of us there. Remember the old radio announcements, BE THERE OR BE SQUARE! :D Roy

kiwi64ss

now this could be tempting

the kiwi family are looking at traveling to see dond409 next year and with a bit of arm bending im sure we might be able to get don to take his 12 second wagon and us to the convention
and we would be the long distance travellers for sure im guessing

Adrian:cheers

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
CONVENTION UPDATE

HERE'S WHATS CURRENT!!!

I called Michael (tmracing 62) about a week ago, to introduce myself, and to talk about the convention. After about an hour on the phone!!! we decided to hang up for now!! Michael had a very good obversation. He said "can you imagine how many times this will happen at the convention!! You introduce yourself to someone and an hour later...you're still going!!" That's what we are looking for!!

Talked with Embassy Suites Mon. They are sending me a Convention Packet to look over.. Don't have an detailed costs yet. They have 236 rooms. Right up front, the lady said their weekend rates were $119 per night but she would drop our price to $99. Once I get a feel for the number attending, I might be able to get the rates even lower. They also have a meeting room "with theatre style" seating. That means DQ will have to behave himself and probably keep his shoes on!! This will be used for speakers, seminars, etc.

So here we go.........Since we will all be getting together for the first time, time for conversation will be primary. I'm suggesting the "convention" will start on Wed., instead of Thursday. Regristration will take place both days. First day of ANY scheduled activities will be Friday. Car show in the parking lots and guest speakers and seminars during the day at the inside meeting room. Friday night will be our banquet, big word in city talk for supper!! Again, no formal program afterwards, just more time for visiting. But I do have some "things" scheduled for after the meal.

Saturday will be a day, and maybe evening, at the "409 FALL NATIONALS" at the drag strip for those that want to race or just show their car. I have talked with Tony Shaffer at Day Automotive, he will try to have a 409 engine on his Dyno for you to see. If you have never seen a dyno test, this would be neat!! There will probably be a cruise somewhere in Kansas City to go to OR WE WILL JUST HAVE OUR OWN CRUISE TO LC's Hamburger stand Saturday night!! Sunday will be exchange address and say "Goodbye" day.

We can not pick a weekend until the race track gets it's 2004 schedule. They hope to have it by the end of this month. Hopefully the 3rd weekend in Sept. will work for them. Right now that's the weekend I'm shooting for. The Embassy Suites is tentatively holding 25 rooms for Wed. night, 75 for Thurs. night, 100 for Fri. night, and 75 again for Sat. night. I don't think the hotel can hold all of us, so the reservations will be 'FIRST COME...FIRST SERVED"!! Once we get the weekend pinned down, you will need to get your reservations in. There are other hotels and motels close, but the Embassy will be the host hotel. My son-in-law is a Sargent with the Kansas City, MO police department. We will have off-duty policemen in the Embassy parking lot all night Thurs, Fri., and Sat. for added security.

NOW...for the good stuff!!! I called Hayden yesterday and told him what we were planning. I asked him if he could be here...he said ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! Now, I'm going to make arrangements for the red bubbletop too!! I have some other guests and speakers that I will contact and let you know as they commit. This will be very interesting.

I will be asking Doug Marion to attend, not only as a speaker but as a photographer to sumbit stories and photos to Chevy Rumble or other magazines. For you guys that want to have show quality cars here, this would be the time to do it. Doug will probably, I know he will, photograph different cars for possible magazines articles. He doesn't have the final decision but he does submit what he thinks will make good stories. BE HERE TO LET DOUG SEE YOUR CAR!! This will be your opportunity!!

As Jims409 said somewhere else, I have a wild imagination!! Yes, I do have 409 toilet paper but that is another post!! But I've thought up a couple of things that I want to have made for us. Some "things" that will make our convention a little more special!! I've got some figuring to do to get these projects under way!!

I'm going to check the Embassy grounds to see if it would be feasible to have a swap meet area. Don't know how they would feel about that, but am going to check and see.

I'm going to have 1000 flyers printed and send one out in each of our packages from the shop. We can get the word out that this is HAPPENING!!

Try to make plans...if you can't drive..consider flying in to support this weekend. The more support we get..the more coverage we can expect. I will get something in Chevy Rumble as soon as I know dates. You can help by contacting Chevy Rumble and telling them you like their coverage of the 348 and 409 cars in past issues. Wouldn't hurt to subscribe either.

I hope this event can go on from here to other places. But if not, this might be a ONE TIME GATHERING OF THE FLOCK!!!! DON'T MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY to participate in a historical event. We will do everything to make this as memorable weekend as possible. If we can get enough 348 & 409 cars in one area....with all that weight.....I really think Kansas City will rotate down towards the south pole!!!! We can defy gravity!!!

Guess that's it for now. I know I've left out something but if I think of more ...I'll just post it!!!

Make your plans for Kansas City NOW!!!!

Phil

63z11

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phils plan

Sounds great so far Phil! Count on us WI 09 fans to make the journey. :D

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sounds like a good deal to me! :deal You guys are doing a great job of organising. I think someone already mentioned window stickers. Something like "348/409 Fall Nationals Participant 2004" would be cool.