220 single phase to 3 phase help needed

bobs409

Administrator
:D Well Bob it appears that you have a single phase unit. I am not big on how they wired it but I would like to know why they didn't use the white wire for the return and used the green. In the pic of the innerds is that a white wire hooked to the metal case below the green wire?

The white wire is just cut off not going anywhere.

Who wants to be the first to plug it in? :laugh :eek

bobs409

Administrator
I tested the tire changer out and it works great! Just a few small air leaks at 2 of the locks. I think I can get new seals for all the parts so will rebuild some parts as needed. I HATE air leaks! Even the smallest ones drive me crazy. :cuss

bobs409

Administrator
It works! :)

My brother was here visiting and is a carpenter so I had him look at it. Using the 3 wires he said there is only one way they could have been using it so I said, let's try it! We put the plug on and I let him plug it in. :D I bravely flipped the on switch so give me some credit. ;) It lit up and the cooling fan started running. :)

Only one thing. It didn't want to start from a dead stop so I gave the tire a little spin and then hit start and it worked perfectly. I suspect it could still possibly be a 3 phase but if they were using it all those years wired like this, it should be good enough for my occasional use.

So, it's been a good day. Both work and I'm happy. :)

Don, you'll have to go elsewhere for the fireworks show. :D

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
That's great! My son is a building maintenance engineer and has promised to wire the new garage for me so I can put in a 60 gallon 5hp air compressor and a welder. 12 volts is enough for me so I will gladly pay him Tuesday for 220v in the garage!

bobs409

Administrator
I was lucky there, I already had the 220 for my 4 post lift. I had put a 220 receptical on one of the posts so I could use a tong welder I had. All we had to do was attach a plug end.

Now I have alot of shaky tires to balance! That's another day, time to watch star trek now. :D

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:D Way to go Bob. Now you can practice by checking all your tires on your hot rods.

Dewman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Way to go Bob, All that crap in there is proably converting the 230/1 phase to 230/3 phase. In situations like that I will get Ruger geared up in my arc flash gear, place some peanut butter on the GO switch, stand back and let him go to work!

IMAG0249.jpg

IMAG0253.jpg

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It works! :)

My brother was here visiting and is a carpenter so I had him look at it. Using the 3 wires he said there is only one way they could have been using it so I said, let's try it! We put the plug on and I let him plug it in. :D I bravely flipped the on switch so give me some credit. ;) It lit up and the cooling fan started running. :)

Only one thing. It didn't want to start from a dead stop so I gave the tire a little spin and then hit start and it worked perfectly. I suspect it could still possibly be a 3 phase but if they were using it all those years wired like this, it should be good enough for my occasional use.

So, it's been a good day. Both work and I'm happy. :)

Don, you'll have to go elsewhere for the fireworks show. :D

I was at my machinist's today, he runs all his 3 ph on rotory and electronic phase convertors. He said a 3ph motor will run on 220 single phase but they won't start, which is why you have to give it a push. he said the motor will probably burn out eventually. You might want to invest in a phase convertor, probably cheaper then a replacement motor.

bobs409

Administrator
I had read about that on the net, that's what made me try giving it a spin first.

This must be the way it was being used at that dealer too so if they didn't kill it, I doubt I would as I won't use it all that much.

My brother said he remembers seeing tire guys giving the tire a spin like this. Maybe it's more common than most let on? :dunno

Those rotory convertors aren't cheap. It was the way I was going to go.

Thanks,

Bob