348-409 Fall Nationals

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Guys: The folks that are hosting the 348-409 Fall Nationals have asked me to pass on the following info. Please remember that KCIR will hold Wednesday and Friday night grudge racing and I will be more than happy to meet up with anyone who wants to attend.

In conjunction with the Inaugural 348-409 National Convention, Vamp Racing is hosting the 348-409 Fall Nationals at Kansas City International Raceway on September 18, 2004. This event will pay special tribute to the 348-409 Chevy engines and cars that ruled the drag strips in the late 50’s and 60’s. 348-409 cars will be making full power exhibition passes down the ¼ mile. There will be special displays and show areas reserved exclusively for the 348-409 powered cars. There will be a show field set aside for all small block powered 58’-64’ Chevy full size cars, but ALL cars regardless of make or model are very welcome. The show fields will not be judged. Cold drinks and Smokn’ *** BBQ will be available. All cars are invited to participate in the test-n-tune or in the VAMP Racing Series. Swap Meet. Must have helmet and pass inspection to make pass on drag strip. Entry fees: $10 spectator, $15 show & test-n-tune, $20 for reserved 348-409 show field and $25 for Vamp Racing Series. Please see vampracing.com for schedule of events race rules and contact info.

Thanks,

TomO

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So tom, let me get this right,,,,,, this is a seperate event from the 1st 348-409 National Convention and not included in the $110 reg fee? right? OK,,,

And we have to pay $20 to park our 348-409 cars in the special show feild and then pay $25 more to race ?

JMO but ,,, I can see a charge to race but it seems to me that the special show field should be free for the registered convention cars. We are their event !!

hummmm,,, Does it feel like Vamp racing is using our convention to promote their 1st ever National Event? Could they do this without us?

Am I missing something here? :dunno
How do you others feel about this ?,,,,dq

PS,, Not trying to start something,, just seems a little off to me,,

Sounds all summed up to me, DQ.
I have ABSOLUTELY no interest in seeing some old beat up Dodge, or tin-foil pony car at this event. To me, the event is about NOT having to put up with that. I see all those inferior cars every single day around here.

Yes, I agree... we certainly should have to pay a standard fee for the drag racing on Saturday. It is an expensive facility, with electroncs, ect.
Pay to show our 348-409 cars ?
I DON'T THINK SO, TIM !
Maybe the "outsiders" can pay for the privilage of seeing them, but as DQ said, We are the event. I suppose the feasability of this being a 348/409 only race session would depend greatly on how many cars are going to make passes. I'm sure 100 + cars would cover the cost for an afternoon. I REALLY don't want to be seen along side one more B body Mopar.

Quite frankly, if there are a number of ordinary cars that are planned to run on the track that day, I won't be. Again, I can attend a generic bracket race right here.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don`t have a problem with other brands and types of cars racing that day, but as Aubrey says,,,,, We can do that any day at any track !!

Shoot, I`d have more fun meeting Aubrey on some Kansas City cornfield road and scaring the begezziz out of them corn feed hogs !!!! :D

What needs to be done to make it the "National Event" is a BIG focus on our cars and let us race each other multiple times NOT just an exhibition run or two !!

How can you call it the 348-409 Nationals if it is done the way Vamp Racing proposes ?

Maybe Vamp Racing should be posting the information here and not sending it second hand.

The info provided so far is very vague leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

BTW,,, Who is Vamp and how did they get in charge of one of the conventions events ?? ,,,dq

Sorry,,, but it seems like someone stoled our ball and is running with it !!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Saturday at the races

DQ and Aubrey...........

When the intial planning was going on this past winter, everyone was wanting to have the drag races. After checking into what it takes to lease a drag strip, it became clear that I did not have the money or the man power to do it myself. TomO introduced me to the two persons who run the Vamp series. For several years now, they lease the track themselves to run their race series. After our initial conversations it was clear to me that I could very easily get in over my head because I do not have any experience with this. They asked me to join their series weekend. When they lease the track, they provide us with: all tech support to check in and tech the race cars, they provide all EMT and emergency personnel, they have on hand all the track preparation equipment and crew, they provide all the additional personnel to handle the crowd with the waiver releases, gate fees and parking, they provide their own announcer for the track, and they provide insurance.

I have many friends, who along with their wives, are coming in early to help me with all aspects of making things run smoothly at the Embassy Suites and KCI Expo Center with all the registrations, parking and t-shirts, etc. Without their
help, we would not be able to do most of this. The prospect of trying to manage the track also was over-whelming for me. I was basically looking at 3 options:
1. Lease the entire track and try to run the event safely and professionally myself. I do not have the money or experience to even try it at this time. May be ....next time.
2. Just have everyone show up at an "open" weekend and "try" to have a program without any control. That just didn't seem like a good situation.
3. Join Dave and Brent in their series where they are allowing me to have a program for our cars starting at 2PM when their formal program starts. They are letting us start their program with some of our cars. Keep in mind, they will probably have no more than 40 cars in their program. In the first round, obviously half will be eliminated and on down the line for the afternoon. We will have all morning to run our cars....we will have a designated lane for all 348-409 entries. Then in the afternoon, the time of 45 minutes or so between their rounds, we will probably dominate the racing. This is the option I chose because I felt it worked best with our goals. I have no way of knowing how many will want to participate. Even with only 33 days until our event, I still have no idea how many will be attending. That makes it very hard to plan and budget for.

THEY ARE NOT HORING IN ON OUR EVENT.........THEY ARE ALLOWING US TO HAVE OUR EVENT.

They are paying for everything so they should get the benefit of the gate receipts. I don't have any control over that. It will be only $20 to get any of our cars in...there is not an extra charge if you want to race. We already have designated spaces for our cars....we will have race car parking, a section for the show cars, a section for the 348-409 display engines and the Z-11 cars who come out, and a swap meet section. They are spending alot of time to promote this event so we can have a big crowd to come look at our cars.

I'm looking for a good time and good event for all. I hope this eliminates some of your concerns and explains why it has been set up this way.

Phil

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thank You Phil !!!

We all (us racers) have a good idea in how much work there is to control and run a race.
I never expected to have you do this but the infrormation provided by Tom could have been clearer. (no fault to Tom )

This does clear up many questions especially about the cost. $20 includes special parking and racing, yes? cool!

It would be good to just be able to race other 348-409 cars at our request.
If others want to race the other Vamp cars thats up to them.

Thanks for clearing that up Phil! ,,, dq

Brent M - VAMP

Hi Guys - Tom O asked me to post a message to clarify and answer questions. We are very pleased to be working with Phil on the 348-409 event!!! We are looking foreward to meeting all of you and seeing the awsome 348-409 cars. The $20 entry fee allows you into the reserved pit parking and allows all the passes you want to make. For spectators or passengers into the pits the fee is $10. To race in the VAMP series the fee is $25 which will still get you the reserved parking-this is not an addition to the $20, just another option in case you want to compete. The VAMP Series is for 10.0 - 15.0 second cars.

I just read Phil's message and apprecieate him clarifying how we have been working together.

If you have any questions please post them and either Phil, Tom or myself will be glad to answer.

Brent M
VAMP Racing

Thanks Phil and Brent :) ...
I think I get it now. It's not as if the fees are + this + that +this. Just various options for how far involved one wants to get in the racing day.
Personally, I'll pay the $25... exhibition ( grudge ;) ) run with the other W block guys.... then get eliminated first round by the Vamp Series bracket racers !

My foot is out of my mouth now :rolleyes:

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
O.K. I have a question.

I won't be racing at the event, so I understand it will cost $10 to get in? How much additional would a swap meet space be, and is the swap all makes, all years, or is this part of the 348-409 only stuff? Thanks NUT

Oh and Aubrey, I hope you're surprised by the performance of you're 09. I'll be routing for you anyway! :clap and yes I sent in my registration, I'll be there for sure. :D

Attachments

• Netscape Wallpaper-1.jpg
    Netscape Wallpaper-1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 85
  • hanging.jpg
    hanging.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 119
  • mr409.jpg
    mr409.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 88

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OPPPPPP~s,, I need help getting my head out of my .............. ars !! :doh

Thanks Brent for responding personally.
That clears up most all the questions and fears !

Maybe you could give us a little more information on how you will mix us in with the cars entered in the VAMP race.
Other then the exibition runs is it posible to run against each other and when and how will/could that work?

We are very passionate about our cars, forum and thanks to Phil ,,,our 1st Inter/National convention !

Again, Thanks to Brent and Phil !!

Now where did I put that plunger ????? :eek:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
swap meet

The swap meet will be at the race track on Saturday only. All registered participants will have access to a swap meet space at NO CHARGE. It is my intent to let all the registered guys have a couple of spaces for FREE. I won't have the time to be marking off spaces so you can pull in and sell off your trailer or pickup. There will be a sponsor's semi and trailer there with a large display of parts.

There will be the charge to get into the track facilities but there WILL NOT be any additional charge for any registered participants to set up and sell their parts.

Hope this might clear up any confusion.

I can't believe it's SOOOOO CLOSE!!!!!

Like the old song goes............"see you in September"!!!!!!

Phil

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks Phil

Yep that answers my question. I don't recall that song :scratch but I have been singing "I'm going to Kansas City, Kansas City Here I come" That's the only words I know :D NUT

Brent M - VAMP

September 18th Event Info

Hi To All 348-409 Fans!!

I thought I would get on here and answer some questions about the Saturday, September 18th event at KCIR. Gates open at 10:00a.m.

We have reserved a large area specifically for the 348-409 group. At this time I plan on having 4 staging lanes dedicated to the 348-409 cars. This will allow you to pair up with each other and race only 348-409 cars (this will be AWSOME!).

The cost of this event is very simple. If you are with the 348-409 group, the cost is $20.00 for a vehicle and driver to come through the gates. For that 20 dollars you can race, show, sell parts (swap meet) or all of the above. You choose how much you want to do for that 20 dollars. Even if you have a semi for the swap meet, there is no extra cost beyond the original $20.00 to get in.

Additional passengers in your vehicle are $10.00 each, which is the same cost for the spectators that walk through the gate, children 12 and under are free.

Phil and I will develop a list for the Z-11 and special feature cars that will allow for their free entry.

For those of you who would like to race in a more competitive nature; for an additional $5.00 you can race with the VAMP cars. I would love to see some of the 348-409 cars race with us. Vamp cars will be classified into one of the following indexes {10.00, 10.70, 11.40, 12.10, 12.80, 13.60 and 14.40}. Cars will be run heads up on a .400 tree pro tree. There will be 2 qualification rounds. Once you are qualified into an index, you are not allowed to run quicker then your index, even on a bye run. Cars are laddered against each other based upon parity, NOT fastest vs. slowest. If you are eliminated you will still be able to make passes out of the 348-409 lanes.

THE EMPHASIS FOR THE SEPTEMBER 18TH EVENT IS TO JUST HAVE FUN!!!!!!

I can’t wait to hear the Z-11’s come to life after the National Anthem.

Brent McCoy
VAMP Race Director
BMCCOY@RDTOOL.COM
VAMPRACING.COM

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thank You Brent !!!

It sounds like this will be one FUN day !!! ,,,dq

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tree????????

What's this about a pro tree??????????? When I was running, there was a guy with a lot of guts that stood out front with a FLAG. TREE?????????? Trees line the side of the track. Don't belong in the center! I've heard of Elm trees, Oak trees, Palm trees, but what is this Pro tree??????????? :? :dunno :help

Fred

:roll

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Pro tree

All the amber lights come on at the same time so when you see amber put the pedal to the metal :D

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Amber lights

Doesn't AMBER mean to prepare to STOP?????????? Or does it mean go faster???

I'm going to have to really think this deal over. So much new stuff. :beerbang

Fred

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
bigger picture

Fred...what is the picture up there in the corner????

Can you post a bigger one so we can see it better???

Any word on the lettering?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Picture

Is this what you wanted to see, Phil. This was my Girlie picture at the ISCA show in Dayton in February. They had models there that would let you take pictures of them with your car. I chose my own! You know her, Phil.

Fred