348/409 parts....what will swap ?

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok Fellas,
I am pretty savy on small block talk....but I will also admit that I am an IDIOT when it comes to the "W"....may be why I want one so bad, time for a challenge.

I understand that most blocks/heads from 1958 will not interchange with later models due to cooling ports...(I have been reading ya'lls pages and learning).
I see that if using a truck block you can use approx 11-1 pistons to get the compression up to approx 10-1.

Questions:
- If using a 409 or 348 block, will all 348 and 409 heads interchange?(leave out the 58)
- Am building a strong engine, but would not be on the track....much....what heads would be good to start with ?
- I have ran across a set of 583 heads.....425 hp 409 I believe....would these be a good upgrade to a 348 or a truck block 409 ?.......he's asking $1500 for the pair, is it a good price?( they are bare)
-for street use will porting make a big diffrence ?

I will have more questions later I am sure.....but this should keep ya'll busy for now.

Thank You !!! -Simp

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I think that’s a bit high. When you can go and buy a set of EDDY heads ready to bolt on for about $2000.00 and do not know how much you will have to put to those 583? Guides, Valves springs machine work JMO

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
^ This. Hard to beat the low cost of the Edelbrock heads. I would suggest you buy the Edelbrock heads and then select the correct valve springs etc for your camshaft.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Like they said, leave the 583's for someones '64 restoration. Rebuilding old heads gets spendy quickly. I recently had a pair of sweet running small port 817's rebuilt. Guides, valves, springs, screw in studs, rocker arms, resurfacing, and assembly. Came to almost $900. :eek Will not go that route again. Leo

Gwampy

I guess my question got answered here. I have a 58, 348 with 3, 2 barrel carbs. Guess it can not be made into a 409? Is there anything that can be done with the 348 to get more HP out of it without losing reliability? If so how much HP can be gained?

John Autry

Well Known Member
I agee I had a set of 333 heads redone with big stainless steel valves installed, new guides and seats to run unleaded gas with. Had right at 800.00 including the purchase of the new valves. Sold them on Ebay for $400.00 and bought a set of Edelbrock heads. Much happier now.

Attachments

• IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 4

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The masses have spoken.....Eddy heads on the wishlist, now just keep looking for that 348/409 that is lurking around the corner.
Complete Eddy heads are $1000ish complete, where bare ones are not too much cheaper....buy complete or bare so to match springs to cam ? I will use a hyd cam that is not too crazy.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gwampy, more hp from a 348? Sure. Its all about money. You can gain 5 hp to 300 hp . You can use the search feature and read about many members builds and what they have accomplished. There is no silver bullet. Usually hard work and big bank account.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The masses have spoken.....Eddy heads on the wishlist, now just keep looking for that 348/409 that is lurking around the corner.
Complete Eddy heads are $1000ish complete, where bare ones are not too much cheaper....buy complete or bare so to match springs to cam ? I will use a hyd cam that is not too crazy.
Unless you are putting together a full house 409 stroker motor, the assembled Eddy heads will be more than adequate for your needs, especially if you are building a 348. You will be limited on cam choice because of the minimal valve to piston clearance and valve to cylinder wall, even with some of the forged pistons available. Leo

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You can build a fairly stout 348. I built a one for my 60 many years ago. Three two's Hyd. cam 4.11 gear 350 turbo tranny. Ran mid 14's. Great street car.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I guess my question got answered here. I have a 58, 348 with 3, 2 barrel carbs. Guess it can not be made into a 409? Is there anything that can be done with the 348 to get more HP out of it without losing reliability? If so how much HP can be gained?

If you do a search for stroking a 348 you will find all kinds of stuff. Yes you can make a 348 into a 409 by stroking it not by boring it. A 348 bored out .040 and 396/427 crank =409ci.
348 stock bore 4.125 + .040 =4.165
396/427 crank stroke 3.76
4.165 X 4.165 bore X 3.76 stroke X 6.2832=409

I built this engine, 4.205 bore, FH code 3X2 using correct 1147 heads with bigger valves and 7/16" studes 10.5cr points distributor made 457.9 HP 489.5FPT. Here it is.
http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.php?threads/its-alive.18472/

As others have said using the Eddy heads is the way to go if you building a hot rod.

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow Tripower.....
That is a great sounding engine !
Hope you have lots of fun with her !!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
One thing seems to have been overlooked here reguarding the Edelbrock heads,and that is that they are the large port varity,and as such ,there would be serious port match issues with the tri-power set up,since they are small port,arent they?:scratch

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
One thing seems to have been overlooked here reguarding the Edelbrock heads,and that is that they are the large port varity,and as such ,there would be serious port match issues with the tri-power set up,since they are small port,arent they?:scratch
Yes the 3X2 intake is small port. I thought Edelbrock was making both small an big port?:dunno I know they do on the intakes. Maybe I just assumed they did on the heads?:scratch

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes I have a small port Edelbrock intake for my build,and the manifolds are availeable in single and dual 4 bblm,large and small port ,but as far as I've been able to find,the heads are replacements for the 583,690[large port] only.I'd love to see a modern 3-2 manifold ,both large and small port,and small port heads .Most likely wont happen tho.:cry

mailman

Well Known Member
Don't forget when counting up the costs, that the price for the Edelbrock heads is a little over $1000 per head,not a set. That gets expensive real quick.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Buy our Bob Walla heads instead!!! Support one of our members and I think they are better heads.