348 engine problems

wristpin

Well Known Member
Big Thank You to James for taking our phone call from his sick bed. As always he was a big help.
I enjoyed meeting with Larry this morning. His El Camino is beautiful and it will be great to watch here as he completes this project. He was a wonderful host and his workshop reflects his attention to detail and warm personality. The Sportster flywheel lampstand was a nice touch

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Big Thank You to James for taking our phone call from his sick bed. As always he was a big help.
I enjoyed meeting with Larry this morning. His El Camino is beautiful and it will be great to watch here as he completes this project. He was a wonderful host and his workshop reflects his attention to detail and warm personality. The Sportster flywheel lampstand was a nice touch
And not one picture???? We like pictures!!!! :tantrum

july2849

Well Known Member
before and after, #7 exhaust-pulled lifter, still can't rotate motor-rod not bent that I could see-make your best guess-will pull heads tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSC00581.JPG
    DSC00581.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC00416.JPG
    DSC00416.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 95

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I was thinking the wrong oil pump drive, but I assumed there was an oil pressure gauge on it.

july2849

Well Known Member
will check oil pump drive shaft-there was some oil in heads-not much-valley had some oil-lifters had oil-Oil canister and filter had none-dry as a bone. No bent rods that I can see-lift, Never got to check pressure gauge-was mechanical- busy trying to dial in Dist and carbs to keep engine running, never ran more than 4-5 min at a time-Had pulled tappet cover to check for head bolt leaks as I saw some drippage, oil was there so I though OK, obvious error in judgment.
Can you take a 409 crank and put it on a 348, and change the oil pan so you have a stroker w/o much difficulty.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,but you'll need rods too.That swap will be a drop in.You'll have to modify the front section of your 348 oil pan,but that's maybe a 5 minute job with a ball peen hammer.If your pistons survived this mess,you can re use them,but I wouldn't trust the rings.Another thing on the 409 crank/rod combo is that either the wrist pin bosses will need to be milled for clearance to the crank counter weight[shaky at best],or have the counter weights turned down.I doubt that it would need more than .250 inches removed.Have that rotating assembly balanced and enjoy! Your cam's likely junk,so do not go bigger than 218@ .050 unless you have the pistons notched for clearance .

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Take lots of pictures if you're tearing it down yourself. Don't recall the deal of the builder, maybe he passed away??? but CYA