348 engine problems

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Lets recap. A professional dest
The question I have is who did the complete assembly of the engine to have it a running engine?
Yah. So lets recap. A professional assembled a vintage (fairly rare ) motor that clearly had little chance of working from the pictures I saw. And anyone here wants to let some one who has already proven careless to try again? So who did the assembly? You don't want that person on this project. Not being mean, I just don't want that idiot scrapping good vintage metal. Not to mention wasting your time and money. Handing you a well worn out block he messed up. It will never be .030 over again.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
They could have machined and assembled the long block, but who installed the intake and primed the the engine and installed the distributor. :dunno2

427John

Well Known Member
So you are suggesting that he should just cut his losses and start over elsewhere?If the cause of failure is as Don suspects the wrong oil pump drive that would be tough for the builder to catch without the w specific distributor available to verify proper engagement.While providing the builder with the engines ancillary equipment to verify fit and function would be ideal,it is by no means the norm and definitely not free you will pay the builders hourly rate to do so.More typical is the owner picks up the assembled longblock and takes it home to install the timing cover, oilpan, balancer, distributor,intake,carb,valve covers,and exhaust manifolds,or pays the installer to do it and it is on them to verify proper fit.So to say that it was due to carelessness of the builder before all the particulars are known is a little premature.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So you are suggesting that he should just cut his losses and start over elsewhere?If the cause of failure is as Don suspects the wrong oil pump drive that would be tough for the builder to catch without the w specific distributor available to verify proper engagement.While providing the builder with the engines ancillary equipment to verify fit and function would be ideal,it is by no means the norm and definitely not free you will pay the builders hourly rate to do so.More typical is the owner picks up the assembled longblock and takes it home to install the timing cover, oilpan, balancer, distributor,intake,carb,valve covers,and exhaust manifolds,or pays the installer to do it and it is on them to verify proper fit.So to say that it was due to carelessness of the builder before all the particulars are known is a little premature.
I wouldn't shy away from the shop, I would put in place a check list for both sides to use. Like has been mentioned, there are several very important steps to do for correct end results. If the who what when where and why was known then we would know whether the right shaft was in or if oil was flowing... We are playing arm chair quarter back but I would like to inspect that oil pump shaft.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
20190309_141732.jpg
Not a great picture of the motor but this little dual quad 348 eye candy has great oil preasure when I pump it up with my drill. It will be on the Dyno soon. I'll keep everyone posted. 2 new 1404 Edelbrock's with new Edelbrock dual quad intake, 333 heads, stock stroke. Should be a great little motor.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
From the looks of the metal on that pick up screen,I suspect a spun main bearing or two.If so,align boring will be needed.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I would be there every second when they were tearing down the engine. And if your not a wrench head take someone with you that is familiar with the W. if that's not possible take "lots" of good clear pictures for us to review and make damn sure every part is put in a container so you can post pictures of that. You would be doing future W engine builders a great service.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would be there every second when they were tearing down the engine. And if your not a wrench head take someone with you that is familiar with the W. if that's not possible take "lots" of good clear pictures for us to review and make damn sure every part is put in a container so you can post pictures of that. You would be doing future W engine builders a great service.
I second the motion.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Probably not the original poster, july 28, 1949's first rodeo dealing with people. He has a little experience under his belt. I wish him well. I like 427 John's idea.

Last edited: