409 bashing article

Parts

Well Known Member
This guy has been reading too many magazines about the good ole days. And he was never in the Southwest USA when Dick Harrell ran his 409's and 427's. Only one time I know of that the Nopowers won.
One guy in Lubbock, Texas spent a fortune on his Dealership owned car trying to beat the Chevy's from New Mexico. It never happened!!

Larry

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
Please don't tar and feather me but you guys know there is a little truth in that article. Back in the day my little 301 would love to go looking for those 409's.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm not surprised it was written by a full-size Chrysler guy. I know one. He sounds just like this guy. Uninformed. Not willing to listen to the facts. Not willing to change some overly biased opinions. I like letter cars. I don't think I'd ever buy one, but I do respect them.
I think we're dealing with a guy that got his feelings hurt by a W-powered car
"back in the day" and is now trying to twist history around to make his deep wounds feel better!!!!
Click the BACK button on your browser and hope you never have to meet face to face with this blow hard.
Ross

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
What an a$$hole!!!! He has an anal retentive disease that might be incureable!!!!

He needs to talk with Hayden and Terry Prince if he thinks the old 60's didn't win anything!! Where was his Mopar when Hayden won Stock Eliminator at Indy in 62? Oh...I know........IT WAS IN THE LOSERS LANE!!!!!

His reference to truck engines just make blood shoot out of my eyes!!! He is so screwed up...don't know where to start to get him corrected!!

Look around the website...notice he has an eBay store where he sells used tires. Why don't we all flood him with questions about his experience and integrity!!!!???? Ought to ask him what his IQ is???!!!!

Cripes........now I have to go take some blood pressure medicine!!! Mark........why did you start this????!!!!:roll :roll :roll

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
:scratch I guess the guys racing Chryslers must have been really friendly back in those days. Look at all the races they let the 348's and 409's win.:deal
I copied this from another post. I'm sure it's not a complete list but as you can see the 348's and 409's won plenty of big races...

1960... Junior Johnson wins the Daytona 500

1961... Ned Jarrett wins the Nascar Championship

1961... Frank Saunders wins Super Stock at the Winternationals

1961... Don Nicholson wins Stock Eliminator at the Winternationals

1962... Don Nicholson wins Stock Eliminator at the Winternationals again

1962... Hayden Proffitt wins Stock Eliminator at Indianapolis

1962... Dave Strickler wins SS/S at the US Nationals

62 Winternationals B/Stock Terry Prince 60 348

63 Winternationals A/Stock Strickler/Jenkins 62 409

63 Winternationals L/P Franks Sanders 63 Z-11

63 Winternationals B/FX Dick Harrell 62 409 w/z-11 top

63 AHRA Winternat. S/S Dick Harrell 63 Z-11

63 Summernationals A/FX & Strickler/Jenkins 63 Z-11
Little Eliminator

Also, sometime in the 60's, Wiley Cossey won a Stock Class
at the Summernationals with a 59 El Camino w/348.

Dick Harrell won tons of races with his 61 WZ 409, 62 Z11 409, 63 Z11 409, 64 Nova 409 Z11 and 64 Chevelle Z11, the number is too many to count. I have to ask Valerie Harrell for the exact number but Im sure its over 20, the white 63 was th AHRA winternational Champ
Bryan Teal who purchased Harrells White 63 z11 also won many raceas with that car

Dyno Don also won Stock Eliminator at Indy in 61. His car ran in O/SS,optional
super stock. However, he was later disqualified because he had the new GM valve springs that were not yet approved for use.

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
Rex White was the 1960 NASCAR Champion driving his 1960 348 Chevrolet Bel Airs

Bill Patterson was the NHRA A Stock class Champion at the '61 Winternationals with his 348 1960 Impala.

Rick

wc chevys

Well Known Member
I know a easy way to change this guys outlook on "W" motors,a ride in the passenger seat of one.Like Denny's for example

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Phil

sorry i found this, I cant believe anyone would diss the w block, he must have been an abused child,,

I say give him a ride in Lamars Waldens 62, I believe he was running in the low 8's and dont remember any 426 or 413 wedge going that fast

it was the crappy valve spring metalurgy of the day that cut short many wins for the w motor

oil4kids

Well Known Member
and what could be worse, but the company i sell oil for sponsors a mopar engine build off..... Ill have to make a few phone calls after i take my blood pressure meds

Attachments

• enginebuildcenterfold.jpg
    enginebuildcenterfold.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 89

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Despite his 348-409 bashing,:mad: I found his article, on growing up in Conn. fairly amusing. He says he's a few years older than 40:roll If he had a coal stove growing up, he's probably closer to seventy.:dunno What he describes, were typical blue collar neighborhoods of the 40's, 50's and 60's. But somewhere along the line, someone dropped him on his head.:roll Most of the trivia on Mopar's, is common knowledge, to most car guy's. But he leaves out one important fact. Even before I learned to drive, I remember Mopar's did not like to start, in the winter or in damp or rainy weather. Walking to school, in the 50's and 60's, that's all I'd see. Plymouth's and Dodge's, with their hood's up. The smell of ether, and that God awful starter sound, De, De, De, De, De, De, De, De, De until the battery died,:roll :roll and then they'd be on the hook, going to the garage. We don't even want to talk about, their rust problem's. (Mostly Old Part's And Rust) He probably got his clock cleaned, by a 409 one day, and can't forget about it.:cuss Skip:)

Bob Core

Well Known Member
I like Mopars, but Mopar purists can be pretty obnoxious I've noticed. For some reason, their love of Chrysler products is balanced only by their contempt for everything else.

They have a real problem with Zora Arkus-Duntov and his designing Ardun twin-rocker shaft hemi heads for flathead Fords that appeared around the same time Chrysler's first hemi did (maybe before). They go to painful lengths to explain that away on another website and ultimately just end up insulting Duntov. Must be tough being them.

I don't understand it. Chevys are my favorite; small blocks, Ws and Porcupines - - but that doesn't mean I hate the rest.

CHEV601234

Well Known Member
Mopars never started well in damp weather. Yoiu could spit next to one and it'; wouldn;t start. ALways had poor ingnition circuits not to mention the worst stering feel on the planet
Best automatic trans on th e planet though.